1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2020 3:59 PM by Jim Finch-Oracle

Community Migration FAQ

Jim Finch-Oracle

The Community Migration FAQ is now live. We'll be updating it regularly.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 1. Re: Community Migration FAQ
          Jim Finch-Oracle

The Migration FAQ has been updated to reflect today's developments with gamification.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 2. Re: Community Migration FAQ
            Jim Finch-Oracle

The Migration FAQ has been updated with news on the editor, SSO and Notification settings.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 3. Re: Community Migration FAQ
              Quanwen Zhao

Hello Jim Finch ,

A few days ago I submitted an idea about An email notification if someone replies to my thread on the space of Oracle Community Ideas. Afterwards BluShadow provides Community Migration FAQ and Community Migration FAQ 6/25, so I'm coming here to seek for your help.

First of all, let's describe my current confusion existing in the thread that I mentioned previously. In other words, now my personal PREFERENCES is below,

my_current_ODC_notification_setting.png

As you can see it's also my default settings, now my Inbox will be prompting a red solid circle filling up with a corresponding number when someone responds to a new discussion started by me with his/her opinion. And you can also see there is three types of Inbox setting. I'm not sure which one is only able to notify me with my email-box. So I try to set them to be all "On". I finally receive several email notifications as follows.

receiving_so_many_email_notifications_setting_inbox_to_on.png

In fact I just expect to receive special email notifications for those discussions started by me if somebody comments them (because I'll timely see those email notification on my cellphone). Perhaps such detailed function will be improved and enhanced on the new version of ODC, particularly you mention Oracle Community is on the move.

Secondly, I finished reading Community Migration FAQ 7/29 and noticed the following stuff,

new_ODC_notification_setting.png

Here's some points always struggling with me:

(1) what's pop-up? (Is it the my screenshot below?)

my_ODC_inbox_prompt_new_message_number.png

(2) what's the difference between pop-up and e-mail formats?

(3) what's the difference both "Notify me when people answer my question" and "Notify me when people comment on my discussions"?

Usually I would like to start a discussion, also could I start a question? so question is used to be answered and discussion is used to be commented?

(4) what's the difference between "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" and "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions"?

Here about my bookmarked discussions, whether they're those discussions that I started or that I bookmarked (in fact they are started by somebody)?

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

• 4. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                Jim Finch-Oracle

The Community Migration FAQ 7/29 has been updated with news on the retirement of the blog and document formats.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 5. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                  Jim Finch-Oracle

Hi There,

(1) what's pop-up? (Is it the my screenshot below?)

A pop-up notification on the new system will be an alert that currently resides in the lower-left corner of the screen much like a windows system notification.

(2) what's the difference between pop-up and e-mail formats?

A pop-up is a pop-up window that can be dismissed. An e-mail alert will e-mail that alert to you. You may choose one or the other or both.

(3) what's the difference both "Notify me when people answer my question" and "Notify me when people comment on my discussions"?

Usually I would like to start a discussion, also could I start a question? so question is used to be answered and discussion is used to be commented?

Questions and discussions are two different content types in the new system, therefore they have two different types of alerts. A question is essentially a top-level message and you can have alerts when someone answers that question. A discussion is a different type of content, so if someone replies to your comments in a discussion, it's a separate alert.

(4) what's the difference between "Notify me when people comment on my discussions" and "Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions"?

Here about my bookmarked discussions, whether they're those discussions that I started or that I bookmarked (in fact they are started by somebody)?

In the new system, you have the ability to bookmark discussions; these discussions can be nearly anything (not necessarily the discussions you *created*). When you choose this alert, you'll get an alert whenever someone comments on the discussion you've bookmarked.

Your discussions are discussions you've participated in; if someone replies to your comments in a discussion, it's a separate alert.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 6. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                    Quanwen Zhao

Thank you so much for detailedly replying to my all of questions, Jim Finch . I got it ...

Very great, At the same time I also noticed that you've updated the Community Migration FAQ 7/29 on which you even added my three conspicuous questions.

Hence I continue to read the subsequent several Q/A(s), the following stuff attracts my eyes.

Q: Why the change?

A: There are no dedicated content types for "blogs" or "documents" on the new platform.

It seems that the above question has been lack of something after "change", I just guess which is connected with the below Q/A.

Q: What happens to existing blogs and documents when we migrate?

A: The new platform does not support content types known as "blogs" or "documents." Post-migration, existing documents and blogs will be converted into the "discussion" content-type.

In order to preserve the data for existing blogs and documents, the blogging and document features on the current platform will be retired on 7/31/20 and no new documents or blogs will be created on the system past that date.

On the other hand, there are no an updating document name (such as, Community Migration FAQ 6/25, but Community Migration FAQ 7/13 is changed, pretty weird!!!) in my response to you - Re: Community Migration FAQ and the Migration FAQ is still original name in your response to yourself (Re: Community Migration FAQ). I really observe which is a new name (Community Migration FAQ 7/13) that you've replaced with. Is it a bug?

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

• 7. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                      Jim Finch-Oracle
                      On the other hand, there are no an updating document name (such as, Community Migration FAQ 6/25, but Community Migration FAQ 7/13 is changed, pretty weird!!!) in my response to you - Re: Community Migration FAQ and the Migration FAQ is still original name in your response to yourself (Re: Community Migration FAQ). I really observe which is a new name (Community Migration FAQ 7/13) that you've replaced with. Is it a bug?

It's Jive showing why we're going to a new system.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 8. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                        Jim-D

Jim Finch-Oracle - Should the FAQ have an estimated go live date?

(Maybe list the target year/quarter/month now, and change to a date as you get closer to go live?)

• 9. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                          Dude!

The "document" content type will be retired on 7/31 and is not an option on the new system.

What does retire mean, and consequently, what will happen to documents in the current platform? Will I still be able to locate my own documents for as long as the old platform exists? Will I be able to modify/update my documents after 7/31?

Some documents won't make much sense unless kept up to date. For example:

Howto Checksum Oracle Linux Installation ISO

I have a bunch of other documents too that I wish to update as changes occur.

Contributions and Leaderboards

• 10. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                            Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

The "document" content type will be retired on 7/31 and is not an option on the new system.

What does retire mean, and consequently, what will happen to documents in the current platform? Will I still be able to locate my own documents for as long as the old platform exists? Will I be able to modify/update my documents after 7/31?

Some documents won't make much sense unless kept up to date. For example:

Howto Checksum Oracle Linux Installation ISO

I have a bunch of other documents too that I wish to update as changes occur.

Contributions and Leaderboards

No new documents or blogs will be able to be created post 7/31.

Existing documents/blogs will remain where they are in their current format until the migration.

Post-migration, they'll be converted to discussion threads. Locations TBD. We'll have more info on that closer to the migration.

Best,

Jim

• 11. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                              Jim Finch-Oracle

Jim-D wrote:

Jim Finch-Oracle - Should the FAQ have an estimated go live date?

(Maybe list the target year/quarter/month now, and change to a date as you get closer to go live?)

At this time, we've been asked by the powers that be not to give out anything further than "later this year."

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 12. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                                Jim-D

Jim Finch-Oracle "Later this year" would be great to add to the FAQ for now, with updated details as the powers that be make their decisions.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                                  Jim Finch-Oracle

Jim-D wrote:

Jim Finch-Oracle "Later this year" would be great to add to the FAQ for now, with updated details as the powers that be make their decisions.

Thanks!

I added TBD 2020. That's all I can say for now.

Best,

Jim

• 14. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                                    Quanwen Zhao

Haha ... , Jim Finch.

It represents you once modified the initial DOC name "Community Migration FAQ" to be subsequent "Migration FAQ" and "Community Migration FAQ 7/13", am I right? (Because I noticed that the document ICON's color became brown from the original sky blue).

Very very nice. Even I am able to browse each REVISION NUMBER in order to observe the change with Color Key: Addition Deletion Change.

ODC_doc_revision_number.png

Best Regards

Quanwen Zhao

Edited: adding a funny revision screenshot.

1 2 Previous Next