1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2020 11:15 AM by Jim Finch-Oracle Go to original post
      • 45. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
        User51642 Yong Huang

Thanks Marwim for pointing this out. No other online forums I use change pasted text into table format like this. Hope it will be gone. Another thing I hope will change is short web browser timeout. It's easy to change. I bet Oracle has some paranoid security concern. But such a short timeout causes great inconvenience to people doing real work.

• 46. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
          Dude!

Sorry, one more question please. Can you tell what will happen with current URLs to blogs and documents? I have programs that refer to my documents for documentation, and it would be quite some work to change or update all that. There also several posts that refer to documents and blog posts inside the community. Will these URLs remain the same?

• 47. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
            Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

Sorry, one more question please. Can you tell what will happen with current URLs to blogs and documents? I have programs that refer to my documents for documentation, and it would be quite some work to change or update all that. There also several posts that refer to documents and blog posts inside the community. Will these URLs remain the same?

That's something I will have to ask the devs about. I'll get back to you on this one.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 48. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
              Dude!

Thanks!

I would also like to comment on the following:

Improved navigation and organization, so you can find what you are looking for faster

That's an interesting conclusion and result of the criticism the platform has received for the past several years. We should perhaps also talk about the search engine. I have not found the community search engine very useful myself. Mainly because it doesn't find most recent posts. The search engine is favoring popularity, hence showing ancient posts first because they have accrued more hits, and are going to collect more hits due to the search engine. That's not helping.

There are rare occasions when finding a product forum can be challenging, but generally it isn't rocket science, and there's also Google to get some clues. Do we really want to invite people who are unable or unwilling to do any effort on their own, and teach them how to search the community space, who are probably not interested in searching anything in the first place?

Why all the effort and delay to find a self-maintaining solution, when a simple product index page will do the trick. It will require some updating when there are changes, and likely some team-work between forum maintainers. What's the big deal?

There is still an old idea https://community.oracle.com/ideas/5254 that was generally welcomed at the time. Perhaps the new site could at least shed some more light on https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/indexes/products/index.html

And btw, any plans to come up with a more reasonable name than Groundbreakers? I find it embarrassing. Nobody who has voiced an opinion wants it. What was wrong with OTN?

Oracle Developer Community is breaking new ground...

• 49. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                BluShadow

User51642 Yong Huang wrote:

Thanks Marwim for pointing this out. No other online forums I use change pasted text into table format like this. Hope it will be gone. Another thing I hope will change is short web browser timeout. It's easy to change. I bet Oracle has some paranoid security concern. But such a short timeout causes great inconvenience to people doing real work.

Which short web browser timeout is that?

I can log in first thing in the morning, and it keeps me logged in all day.  On seems to be the following day that it requires me to log in again, even if I've left my browser session open.

Perhaps the web browser timeout is something local to yourself/your organisation?

• 50. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                  BluShadow

Jim Finch-Oracle wrote:

Dude! wrote:

That's something I will have to ask the devs about. I'll get back to you on this one.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

That's a very important one.

Many threads on the community contain links to other threads, community documents, FAQ's etc.  If those get broken, the whole historic content of threads will be a complete mess.

• 51. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                    Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

Thanks!

I would also like to comment on the following:

Improved navigation and organization, so you can find what you are looking for faster

That's an interesting conclusion and result of the criticism the platform has received for the past several years. We should perhaps also talk about the search engine.

And btw, any plans to come up with a more reasonable name than Groundbreakers? I find it embarrassing. Nobody who has voiced an opinion wants it. What was wrong with OTN?

First, the Groundbreakers branding isn't something we can control. We've passed on everyone's feedback, but that decision has to be made up the line.

For the search, we'll have that discussion closer to launch when I can show off the search in its finished form. It is not the same engine as we're using now and is the time to get your ideas or needs listed and we'll try to accommodate what we can before it takes a final form.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 52. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                      Jim Finch-Oracle

BluShadow wrote:

User51642 Yong Huang wrote:

Which short web browser timeout is that?

I can log in first thing in the morning, and it keeps me logged in all day. On seems to be the following day that it requires me to log in again, even if I've left my browser session open.

Perhaps the web browser timeout is something local to yourself/your organisation?

I don't think I've ever hit it either, however, the timeout is something we have control over on the new platform. We'll follow up on this.

Best,

Jim

• 53. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                        Jim Finch-Oracle

That's a very important one.

Many threads on the community contain links to other threads, community documents, FAQ's etc. If those get broken, the whole historic content of threads will be a complete mess.

Understood. We'll see what solutions the Devs have when we hear back.

Best,

Jim

• 54. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                          Timo Hahn

One thing about the current forum is that you don't find any posts (and/or solutions) using google. I guess we would see more traffic if more solutions would appear in a normal google (or other browsers) search. Right now all such results point to other sources.

Timo

• 55. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                            Jim-D

Timo Hahn - You can see community.oracle.com search results in Google.  When I search for "database site:community.oracle.com" in Google, I get 162,000 results.

• 56. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                              Dude!

I hope you don't mind me commenting on that. I noticed that too and asked a couple of different times in the feedback forum, but there was no response. Google's search results are biased towards popularity (and revenue), similar to the platform's own search engine. It typically requires to be quite specific and unique in order to find posts in the discussion forums, which is of course not helpful.

I was wondering if the huge decline of participation in some of the discussion forums over the past years, in some places dropping form multiple posts a day to a single post per month, has also a direct impact on Google search results, hence elevating an unfortunate circumstance that propels itself.

• 57. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                                Timo Hahn

Yes, but if you don't mention the oracle side you don't get anything from the forum. New users start by using google and don't add the side command. That's what I do when I'm looking for something. There might be the perfect solution on a forum, but if I don't get a link to this forum in the first 1-2 pages I'll never know.

To get more traffic the results should show up without adding a 'side:xxx' to the search, as StackOverflow results do.

That's my point.

Timo

• 58. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                                  fac586

Timo Hahn wrote:

One thing about the current forum is that you don't find any posts (and/or solutions) using google. I guess we would see more traffic if more solutions would appear in a normal google (or other browsers) search. Right now all such results point to other sources.

I think that's simply down to better search engine optimisation by the other sources.

I originally discovered this site through Google searches after becoming dissatisfied with MOS (Metalink as it then was). OTN was then always top of the results for Oracle-related searches. Google is still crawling the site and results from here will appear in a site-specific search, but have become increasingly rare in normal search results.

While Stack Overflow's gravitational pull appears irresistible, Oracle's main concern should be with screen-scraping click-bait sites that show information pulled from here. If they can't take these down at source they should at least be able to get Google to lower their rankings.

• 59. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                                    Timo Hahn

In the old days before moving to the current platform posts showed up in google search. After that move, you had to add the 'side' to find the community. There are still some more busy spaces but not one result from that space will show up in google. If did some searches that result in <5 google result pages (no one from the oracle forum). If I add the side I'll get the solution in the first three results. This was right after the move to the current platform. I did not get the results from the old forums.

For me, it more looks like a technical problem (or deliberate problem).

Timo

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next