1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2020 11:15 AM by Jim Finch-Oracle Go to original post
      • 60. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
        Dude!

Including the site means more specific search criteria. Google has the information and it's not blocked by Oracle or Google, obviously, which would apply for pages having a "noindex" tag. No doubt, Oracle's discussion space falls short in a popularity contest compared to StackOverflow. Doesn't this rather look like a matter of Google's search engine priority?

Google's search results are not as unbiased as advertised. Your own browsing history and the browsing history of other people affect your search results. You can test that using a different browser and public IP address of another country, and search using the same criteria and can get very different results. Interestingly, In our case, we should find Oracle discussion posts more easily, but we don't.

There used to be a form where you could register a URL with Google search explicitly, even if you were not the owner of the site, but that's no longer available. Perhaps Oracle needs to start advertising Google's Cloud platform to really improve the situation.

• 61. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
          User51642 Yong Huang

Sorry. I mixed up MOSC and MOS. MOS has a short timeout. Here we're only talking about MOSC. I shouldn't have brought up an issue with MOS.

• 62. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
            Dude!

Speaking of MOSC.... Oracle plans to create a more consistent experience across all communities, if I understand correctly. Well, I hope this community will not inherit the reputation concepts of MOSC. We already experienced it with Topliners during the previous migration, hence the current gamification system. Something tells me that this community will continue to give in to demands of other communities with a more powerful lobby, and especially paying customers I would think. I, for one, would not appreciate, for example "user of the month", rolling leaderboards. Some "control" may work for paying customers, but not for volunteers who participate based on dedication and motives you will not want to turn against you. Trivial rewards for intrinsic motivation can backfire.

• 63. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
              Jim-D

I appreciate the work done by the MOSC team in *Rewards and Recognition (MOSC)  and hope Oracle's recognition of dedicated users would improve and increase in the new platform.

• 64. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                Dude!

What does improve and increase mean?

I don't participate in the MOSC community based on principles. I consider it a conflict of interest. Oracle is a corporation, and If people pay for a service, then people who help them should also be paid. Its not about people paying for a service, and I'm sure many people who participate here in this community pay for Oracle services, but this community is free for all and payment in order to participate is not the criteria. And please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people not sharing the same philosophy.

• 65. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                  Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

Speaking of MOSC.... Oracle plans to create a more consistent experience across all communities, if I understand correctly. Well, I hope this community will not inherit the reputation concepts of MOSC. We already experienced it with Topliners during the previous migration, hence the current gamification system. Something tells me that this community will continue to give in to demands of other communities with a more powerful lobby, and especially paying customers I would think. I, for one, would not appreciate, for example "user of the month", rolling leaderboards. Some "control" may work for paying customers, but not for volunteers who participate based on dedication and motives you will not want to turn against you.

I can assure you that there will be leaderboards on the new system. Gamification, leaderboards, etc., are not going away. There will be seperation between the free and paid areas and the leaderboards and the gamification levels will reflect the area you're in. So if you're in the Developer's area, after the initial legacy point award, your points and your reputation will be based on what you do in the Developers area. If you have access to areas such as MOSC, Netsuite and Topliners, you'll get a legacy point award then your reputation will be based on what you do in each major area past that point. Your profile will show your reputation and badges earned for each of the areas. Those areas that have specialized needs for gamification (Topliners badges, for example), will retain those on the new platform, but will not impact their reputation in the other areas.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 66. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                    Dude!

That I can live with. Thanks for clarifying!

• 67. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                      Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

That I can live with. Thanks for clarifying!

Not a problem. Just to follow up...

We're working to unify the structure of how you earn points so the experiences will be mostly the same in each area (getting a "like" will be the same points value no matter where you are), with some differences (again, Topliners badges, etc.) that are specific to each area.

The biggest change to the overall points system is that our users will no longer earn points (past the first time you do an action in some cases) for liking a post, marking someone helpful, etc. and the cumulative point badges for doing those actions will not be continued in the new system. Points awards will be of a lower value and focused more on reactions to your content (someone likes your post, you're marked correct, etc.). Reputation is important and the new system we'll have in place will hopefully be a better reflection of each user's impact on the community.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 68. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                        Jim Finch-Oracle

The Migration FAQ has been updated to reflect today's developments with gamification.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 69. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                          Jim-D

Dude!  What does improve and increase mean?  It means to not eliminate Oracle's recognition programs, while recognizing that the points process and levels have opportunities for improvement (and I don't want to side track this conversation to whether a given action should be 5 points or 10 points).

I mostly hang out on the MOSC side because I work with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (E1), and the E1 forums are on MOSC, so I admit that may be one reason (but not the only reason) I see things differently, and that's OK.

I feel that I benefit from participating because I learn things from seeing other people's posts, and because I occasionally ask questions where I hope others will answer.  Oracle benefits from us participating in MOSC or Groundbreakers, because every question we answer correctly is less support they need to provide.   When Oracle decides to thank us in whatever way they want, I appreciate it.

• 70. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                            Dude!

Here's some idea for the new platform how to deal with code:

Code "copy" button.

• 71. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                              Dude!

First, the Groundbreakers branding isn't something we can control. We've passed on everyone's feedback, but that decision has to be made up the line.

Understood, and I don't want to nail you or anyone on that one. I have no clue of Oracle's chain of command. It all seems team-work to me. So who needs waxing?

Oracle will do whatever it feels is right and justified. It's their site and I'm pretty sure there's some legal disclaimer as well. The way I see it, however, Oracle may start any project and call it Groundbreaker, but I think it shouldn't be gambling with people's past history and value of brand recognition. I for one don't appreciate to be outsmarted and become part of an unpopular agenda, and not receive a reasonable explanation.

• 72. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                                Jim Finch-Oracle

The Migration FAQ has been updated to reflect questions about the editor and notification settings.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 73. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
                                  Dude!

Will you continue with automatic locking or archiving that currently applies to the discussion space?

Is there going to be a possibility to create Documents and Blogs in the own profile space, and will it be available for public viewing?

Are there going to be other options available to create your own profile space to present information to the public?

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next