1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next 118 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2020 11:15 AM by Jim Finch-Oracle Go to original post
      • 120. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
        Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

What about ratings, number of views? You can't copy that.

Views will be reset on the new platform as the URL will have changed. Star ratings on the new platform are not available at this time; but if they were, they would be again reset as it's a new URL on the new platform.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 121. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
          Dude!

I've done more tests using MS-Word:

• Indexes don't work.
          • Images don't copy.
          • Tables are incomplete.
          • Some styles and boxes are not copied.
          • A lot of text formatting and Jive gets messed up, affecting spacing and font sizes.

MS-Word can copy and paste the text, but formatting will require a complete overhaul. I don't need any document of mine online that looks like it was done in a slipshod fashion.

"Save web complete/archive" in Firefox or Safari produces acceptable results. I've such backups, but it only works properly when pasted back into an online Jive document. This won't work with the new platform.

"View as PDF" doesn't work at all for some documents. And when it works, the result isn't satisfactory. It doesn't copy all formatting correctly.

"Print as PDF" produces good result overall, but doesn't just print the document and includes all the other web page stuff, and then again, it will render re-editing out of the question.

I've haven't given up just yet, but it doesn't look promising. It's also questionable how attachments will be found using search or Google, and whether or not people will download any files from a private individual.

The migration to the new platform will effectively mess up all my documents with no real solution at hand to transfer to the new platform. It will require a substantial amount of work to copy and paste bits and pieces and pretty much requires to redo most formatting, copying of images, and other presentation aspects, including indexes and page layouts.

You may "remind me" what this site intended or not intended to provide. May I remind you that no statement or warning exists that people should better not use the platform to the extent possible, or create anything fancy since the next upgrade will jeopardize the content (again)?!

The conversion of documents and blogs is a major challenge and perhaps a mission impossible. I appreciate "the team" is trying, but I don't appreciate being told there's a simple solution if I'm willing to do so when there isn't. I'm annoyed and disappointed, frankly speaking, about all the time and work wasted. I don't think my expectations and the expectations of community management and care for detail are on the same page. But I'm less than 1 %. The other 99 % will enjoy the new platform.

• 122. Re: Oracle Community is on the move?
            Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

I've done more tests using MS-Word:

• Indexes don't work.
            • Images don't copy.
            • Tables are incomplete.
            • Some styles and boxes are not copied.
            • A lot of text formatting and Jive gets messed up, affecting spacing and font sizes.

MS-Word can copy and paste the text, but formatting will require a complete overhaul. I don't need any document of mine online that looks like it was done in a slipshod fashion.

While I clearly stated that the indexes would need to be redone, I was able to get images to cut and paste and most of the tables come over complete or nearly complete. Right-click the table, go into table properties and 6.68" is a length that will fit the page and the screen and will not horizontally cut off as you were experiencing. Yes, with the Word option, you'll need to reformat some of the text and put some work into it, but it is a response to your concerns that exporting PDF is not an option for you.

Another option would be to look into the third-party HTML to PDF options; from the couple I've tried, they produce PDFs that can be opened by more recent copies of Word. I have not tried GoogleDocs, but perhaps if you're unable to upgrade your Word, you may want to try that as an option.

Since we way past the "community feedback" nature of this area and is not a dedicated support area, I am moving this to e-mail. Further public updates on the status of blogs and documents will be made in the FAQ.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

1 5 6 7 8 9 Previous Next