1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2020 3:59 PM by Jim Finch-Oracle Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Community Migration FAQ
        Dude!

I've many bookmarks with custom notes or keywords in my profile as a reference to older discussions. What will happen to bookmarks and info after the migration?

• 16. Re: Community Migration FAQ
          Jim Finch-Oracle

Dude! wrote:

I've many bookmarks with custom notes or keywords in my profile as a reference to older discussions. What will happen to bookmarks and info after the migration?

While bookmarks are offered, they are no longer located in the profile nor will they offer sharable lists. They're now located in quick links and will be accessible by each individual user from most of the forum screens.

From what I've seen, bookmarks to existing discussions did come over in the test migration. Unless something majorly changes (and no promises at this point as I have not confirmed this with our rep.), that will be what comes over in the final.

As far as notes, the new system does not have a feature for putting notes on bookmarks. It's just something they don't offer at this time.

Edit for clarification: Bookmarks to blogs and documents, since their URLs will be changing, will not come over in the migration to the new system.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 17. Re: Community Migration FAQ
            Dude!

Notes or custom keywords are very useful. What people put in the subject lines is usually meaningless and does not help to locate information. So I guess what I will have to do is to make snapshots of my bookmarks and then search for the post by title.

• 18. Re: Community Migration FAQ
              Dude!

I never really liked the idea that posts are distributed to people's personal email, at least not the body of the message. I would prefer if Oracle did not automatically redistribute posts by email and info was only available online. How does the new platform deal with the situation in regard to file attachments?

• 19. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                Jim Finch-Oracle

File attachments are not included in notification e-mails in either the current system or the new system.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 20. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                  Dude!

Edit for clarification: Bookmarks to blogs and documents, since their URLs will be changing, will not come over in the migration to the new system.

I suppose that means that any references to blogs or documents and attachments that exist on the Internet will no longer work either. Not good. Btw, this is the 2nd time I'm loosing all my bookmarks. Previous community management, no longer with Oracle though, said this would not happen again.

• 21. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                    Dude!

The migration FAQ speaks much about gamification and global/community leaderboards, but to does not mention forum/space leaderboards. The global leaderboards are perhaps useful for the top 10, but the forum leaderboards are what reflects the area of expertise. I seriously hope you are not doing away with forum leaderboards, or have people start from scratch again like it happened when the gamification module was introduced.

• 22. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                      Jim Finch-Oracle

The current plan has all users receiving points to put them to roughly the equivalent of the level they have when the transition happens. Since it is a brand new leveling system, everyone will start out at the base points for the level they have earned. They will also have those base points on each individual hub they participate in as the hubs are independent of each other. Where there are leaderboards, they will reflect the activity on that hub. There will be no "global" leaderboards for the entire site, as you can have a different point value for each hub. If global leaderboards are offered per hub (and that's up to those who run that hub), then they'll be reflective of that hub.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 23. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                        Dude!

Reading your response a few times I understand that "hub" stands for the community, like MOSC, Topliners, Groundbreakers, etc. But my question was more specifically about forum leaderboards, such as General Database, Oracle Linux, RMAN, etc., also known as "individual" leaderboards. What will happen to them?

• 24. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                          Jim Finch-Oracle

Leaderboards will be more general at first, I'll have to confirm with the design team, but introducing them on a granular level for individual communities is scheduled for a future phase next year.

Best,

Jim

System Admin

• 25. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                            Dude!

So to cut the chase, are there going to be forum leaderboards to recognize the expertise and dedication that people have put in for many years in the current platform?

• 26. Re: Community Migration FAQ
                              Jim Finch-Oracle

Individual forum leaderboards may be possible for a future phase, based on requests of said community. They won't be available at launch.

Best,

Jim

1 2 Previous Next