10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2008 11:23 PM by 626608

lay out of many fields

Is there a way to lay out information so it's readable in one screen rather then heaving to use the scroll bar?

In our access application there is a screen to view all demographic info record by record.
      In application express we can view all records in a table with numerous columns.
      Is there any possibility to make it like in Access?
        • 1. Re: lay out of many fields
          I presume you mean the Access form, with the left and right buttons to cycle through records?

There isn't an equivalent in APEX unfortunately - though it would be easy to code manually.

If this is the behaviour that you want, let me know and I'll try to explain. I won't do it now in case this isn't the result you are looking for?
          • 2. Re: lay out of many fields
            Hello,

You can create a report that only retrieves one row of data and then use a custom report template to create the layout you want. This will also allow you to use APEX's built in report pagination.

Carl
            • 3. Re: lay out of many fields
              Very nice Carl....

I'd suggest wrapping something like that behind a wizard as it's commonly requested but has never crossed my mind :)
              • 4. Re: lay out of many fields
                Hello Benjamin,

Yes, our Demographic Information Access form has 50 fields, and they are spreading out nicely.
                Since it’s not possible to achieve in APEX (in APEX it looks like a table with 50 columns) the buttons to cycle through records will not help me.
                Thank you for your reply.
                • 5. Re: lay out of many fields
                  Hello,
                  Since it’s not possible to achieve in APEX
                  It is absolutely possible in APEX, I think you missed the point of my post.

Using a custom "Named Column (row template)" report template and returning one row at a time you can build any HTML construct you want, with any HTML or CSS combination.

Here is an example http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=11933:108

It doesn't have 50 columns but you can see it doesn't look like a table and you can format per your requirements.

This nice thing is because it's running off of the reporting engine you get the pagination for free and can build a report filtering system just like regular reports.

Carl
                  • 6. Re: lay out of many fields
                    Arie Geller
                    Hi Carl,

I read your Blog entry on the report templates, and as I very much agree with you, on the potential of this feature, I decided to study it further.

Can you, please, be more specific on how to use the custom "Named Column (row template)" report template?

I understand your example code, but I'm not sure where to place it. Do you place the "div" part in the Row Templates section? Do you leave the Column Headings section empty?

Thanks for your help,
                    Arie.
                    • 7. Re: lay out of many fields
                      Hello,

I've updated my example to label the code snippets correctly.

But basically for the simple example I only have HTML in three of the template attributes in the Row Template 1 , Before Rows, After Rows.

Thats the real nice thing about this type of report templates, for very customized report layouts they are really easily to deal with. When you add conditions to the different row types lets say a different row template if it's category one vs category two it's even more powerful.

Carl
                      • 8. Re: lay out of many fields
                        Arie Geller
                        Hi Carl,

Thanks for the example update. I though this is the right way to go; now I'm sure.

For some "very" complex layout reports, I used to use the web toolkit, manually building the HTML code. Using this custom template, things can be much more simpler, with the added bonus of "free" pagination.

Hope this bump will expose this thread to some more eyes.

Regards,
                        Arie.
                        • 9. Re: lay out of many fields
                          StewStryker
                          But basically for the simple example I only have HTML
                          in three of the template attributes in the Row
                          Template 1 , Before Rows, After Rows.
                          Am I crazy or did the "Row Template 1" section Carl refers to above get changed in Apex V3 to "Column Template 1"? I'm creating a custom report template and don't see "Row Template 1" anywhere.

Thanks,

Stew
                          • 10. 2 templates for each report/region??
                            Carl (or anyone) when you use a report template like the one in your example, do you then use no region template?

I'm just learning about custom templates and it seems that you have 2 templates for every report region - a region template, and a report template.

report - row template or custom?  (pics!)

thanks.

~Darby