This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2007 8:43 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

system backup

305235 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,
Could someone point me to a place (web, Metalink artictle, ...) where I can learn about backup of E-Busssiness Suite and database.
I am running 11i on 9.2.06

Thanks,
Eugene
  • 1. Re: system backup
    317243 Newbie
    here is a start, from the database perspective http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96519/toc.htm
  • 2. Re: system backup
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Nothing much special about E-Business Suite backup.

Just make sure you stop your applications services, database listener, and the database properly then you can back it up.

Have a look at the following thread for more details:

Apps Backup
  • 3. Re: system backup
    305235 Newbie
    Thanks for your replies and links.
    I am new to apps and my understanding is that I have to backup application code, logs, ... datafiles ALL in one script. Is this true?
    I am using RMAN to backup other databases and can posibly employ it to backup apps d/b, right? What about application code? How do I do that?

Thanks,
    Eugene
  • 4. Re: system backup
    I am new to apps and my understanding is that I have
    to backup application code, logs, ... datafiles ALL
    in one script. Is this true?
    Not necessarily, just bear in mind that it should be synchronous. So whenever you make a change at the Application and such a change update the DB then you should backup both.
    I am using RMAN to backup other databases and can
    posibly employ it to backup apps d/b, right?
    Apps DB is just like any other Oracle DB. Definitely you can use RMAN to back it up.
    What about application code? How do I do that?
    Well, it depends on what kind of changes you are doing here. Application code can be changed in different ways (i.e. Apply a patch, create a new form/report, create a custom table/view/package .. etc)

For example, when you apply a patch it would have an impact on both the application and the database so you should consider to backup both.

When you do a customization at the Application level only (For example creating a new report) then only the Application should be considered.

If the change is at the Database level only (For example creating a new table or writing your own package then you should not bother your self to backup the application).
  • 5. Re: system backup
    556301 Newbie
    Hussein ,

Excellent update on this.

Regards
    Suresh
  • 6. Re: system backup
    Thank You
  • 7. Re: system backup
    561050 Newbie
    Hi,

Keep in mind that apps uses NOLOGGING operations. When such an action is performed while you took the backup you need to be prepared to run the right scripts/jobs to clean up these objects otherwise you could see some data block corruption errors.

Only the case when using online backup ...

Greetings
    Gert

Message was edited by:
    Gert
  • 8. Re: system backup
    431512 Newbie
    Hello there
    I'm trying to understand the best scenario possible for a 24x7 EBS.

It's obvious that the dbf's can't be backed up hot at file system level, so the database should be running on archive mode and a RMAN backup should take care of it. That's clear.
    All the dbf's are on the folder data, for example, /u01/oracle/proddata

The "issue" I have is with the rest, what other folders can be copied in hot from the file system? prodappl, prodcomn, prodora, proddb? all of them?

I have read that at least prodappl and prodcomn are almost read only (besides the logs generated), so, they could be copied without taking down the services, but what about the others? (proddb and prodora) they can also?

I'm trying to get to a 24x7 backup strategy, but if it is no possible, it should be offline the least amount of time.

Thanks for any input
    Cheers!!!
    JL
  • 9. Re: system backup
    Please refer to Note: 362473.1 (Cloning E-Business Suite Using Hot Backup for Minimal Downtime of Source Environment)

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=362473.1