14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2007 7:24 AM by Hussein Sawwan-Oracle RSS

installing oracle R12 on windows 2003

hi

i downloaded the suite for windows server 2003.
      now i need the complete set of instructions for installing them.are there any documents that can guide me with the installation steps.

i have 160 gb harddrive and 2 gb ram in my system.will this configuration enough
      to install this suite.it would be great if anyone can help me with this.

thanks
        • 1. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          According to Oracle Applications Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.0) for Microsoft Windows (Note: 402311.1):

- Ensure you have the latest Rapid Install patch.
          - After installing apply database Patch 13 (5735481).
          - After installing update the Application Server by applying Patch 5689224 & Patch 4742501.

JDK 5.0 is already bundled with Oracle Applications.

Good Luck.
          • 2. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
            hi

are these patches need to be applied to the windows OS

or after installing the oracle 12R.

i never installed ebussiness suite.so i need the intial steps like staging the
            files etc.

i downloaded the software into my hard disk.now do i need to write them to dvds
            i want to know from where to begin.
            • 3. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
              mdtaylor
              Do not write them to any DVDs. Just download all to the same stage directory on your PC, like c:\stage12r.

Unzip all files from edelivery.oracle.com in that directory up to the documentation CD.

Follow the 11.5.10 on Windows XP thread:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=447193&tstart=0

The patches listed are Oracle patches to be applied to the database and application server.

Follow Oracle Applications Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.0) for Microsoft Windows Note:402311.1.

You will need to use disk compression on your c:\ drive before starting the installation, or you will not have room for the installation of Vision R12, which takes 160GB itself, leaving no room for your OS, or staging area.
              • 4. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                You need to apply those patches to the database/application (Not OS patches) after doing the installation.

Do not burn it to CDs, just unzip the files in a directory you create (i.e. D:\Stage12) and run the installer from that directory as mentioned in (Chapter 1 - Oracle Applications Installation Guide: Using Rapid Install).
                • 5. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                  now i have the files downloaded into my system.i have an external hard drive for about 250 gb.can i do the staging of my files in the external drive and run the rapid wiz from that.

above all, my system has 160 gb (total HD size),will this be enough for R12 vis database.

i am working in oracle 11.5.10 but i just want to know how the R12 looks.so if this will not fit into the hard disk can i go for the 11.5.10(want to know if 160 gb HD will be enough for 11.5.10 atleast).
                  • 6. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                    Sure you can but it would be slower with compare to running it from the internal drive.

You need 91 GB for a fresh install with a Vision 11.5.10.2 Demo database (not including the stage area).
                    • 7. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                      mdtaylor
                      You can unzip all the files in the same stage directory on your external hard drive. If the external hard drive is NTFS, you could probably install R12 onto it, but performance would be pretty bad.

If you check the enable disk compression to save space option on your entire c:\ drive from windows explorer, you can get it to fit on a 160 GB hard drive. If you do not have 2-3 GB of RAM, you will be paging to disk heavily. It may take minutes to log in, navigate around etc. Make sure your Page File in virtual memory settings is at least 2 GB.
                      • 8. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                        one more question regarding the installation

can i give microssoft loop back adapter as the network and give a static ip in this
                        for the domain.

and what if in near future if i want to change the network and domain
                        to a other ip adress like if i want to acess the applications from a different laptop
                        in the same network.is it going to work the same way.do i need to change anything.
                        • 9. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                          can i give microssoft loop back adapter as the
                          network and give a static ip in this
                          for the domain.
                          It would work for sure.
                          and what if in near future if i want to change the
                          network and domain
                          to a other ip adress like if i want to acess the
                          applications from a different laptop
                          in the same network.is it going to work the same
                          way.do i need to change anything.
                          You would need to do couple of changes once you make such a move, after changing (hostname/domainname/IP address) you have to correct the corresponding values in the context file and run AutoConfig then.
                          • 10. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                            where can i find this context file.

and from where do i need to run the autoconfig.

thanks in advance.....
                            • 11. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                              where can i find this context file.
                              Under %APPL_TOP%\admin
                              and from where do i need to run the autoconfig.
                              Under %COMMON_TOP%\admin\scripts\<SID_hostname>\adautocfg.cmd
                              • 12. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                                mdtaylor
                                Or setup the Full Computer Name to include the domain in System->Computer Name. Then setup the network properties to not update the domain name. The IP address can change, but as long as the fully qualified computer name remains the same, you do not need to run autoconfig again (based on 11.5.3 through 11.5.10.2 experience).

The R12 installer has been bombing out on me right after the database cloning stage when it registers the listener:

R12 Windows adgentns.pl exiting with status 25600
                                R12 Windows adgentns.pl exiting with status 25600

I will be interested to hear if anyone successfully installs on R12 Windows.
                                • 13. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                                  can anyone confirm if oracle e-business suite 12 can be installed on windows server 2003 r2 x64 edition running on dell poweredge 2900 server?

await your reply...
                                  • 14. Re: installing oracle R12 on windows 2003
                                    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
                                    can anyone confirm if oracle e-business suite 12 can
                                    be installed on windows server 2003 r2 x64 edition
                                    running on dell poweredge 2900 server?
                                    According to the certification matrix, it is not yet certified.

Certify - Oracle's Certification Matrices
                                    http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html