4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2007 12:18 AM by mlei RSS

Many open Oracle sessions

Has anyone dealt with a problem described here: http://www.mail-archive.com/rubyonrails-core@googlegroups.com/msg01085.html

I have a Rails app served through Apache and FastCGI. When I connect to the site, an Oracle session starts. If I close the browser, reopen another browser, and connect to the site, then another Oracle session starts. The old session is never killed/closed. If I go to my site 100 times or if 100 users go to the site, then many sessions are created but old one's are not killed.

Is there something wrong in my configuration? Or is this a bug? Please let me know if you have gone through something similar.

Thank you,

James
        • 1. Re: Many open Oracle sessions
          Hello James,

Could you please give more information about the system you are using:
          - version of rails
          - operating system where the rails app runs
          - operating system and version for the Oracle RDBMS
          - version of the OCI API.

Do you have the same behavior in your development environment with WeBrick?

Regards
          Tugdual Grall
          • 2. Re: Many open Oracle sessions
            Hi Tugdual,

version of rails - 1.1.6
            operating system where the rails app runs - Linux
            operating system and version for the Oracle RDBMS - Unix and 10g
            version of the OCI API - 0.1.16, the only final version of Ruby OCI8 I could find

This does not happen when I use WEBrick. Connecting through WEBrick a session is created for a user that connects. However, that same Oracle session is used whenever the user connects to the site. If the user leaves the site, the session still remains. When WEBrick is shutdown/restarted the Oracle session is removed.

This does not happen with the Apache/FastCGI setup. I also think I might have triggered this somehow more recently. I've been developing for more than 2 months. This problem has popped up only in the last week.

Any thoughts or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

James
            • 3. Re: Many open Oracle sessions
              I went back to Apache with CGI (not FastCGI). I connect to my web app. I look at Oracle sessions but there seems to be no trace of any session. This seems really weird.
              • 4. Re: Many open Oracle sessions
                mlei
                Hi ijsamuel,

Could you try the latest version (e.g. 1.2.3) of Rails? It may have been fixed in 1.2.x.