This content has been marked as final. Show 14 replies
Nomi - get yourself a free APEX account at Oracle and install one or all of the sample apps. That way you'll quickly see what can be acheived.
i have my account but donot know from where to install the sample applications
i have only one sample in my account
What is a BI Solution at all? I have created many applications and see no problem for apex
to be used for any kind of them.
i dnot know much about them..i need information about apex ..how far apex can go..and in the forum i have read we can develop business logic applications also..i donot know what kind of application these are..hope u can help me out
Please try to understand what everyone is telling you...
1. Business Intelligence is a general term which can mean anything, just as accounting is a general term which means different things to different people.
2. Apex is a tool used for development of applications. You have to understand WHAT you want to develop and then figure out how to use Apex to build it. By itself Apex can't solve your application problem. You have to do that.
3. The tool is only as good as the person using it. So you have to understand how to use the tool in order to achieve the best results. Install any of the sample applications and study how Apex works and how to adapt it to your uses.
4. There is little you can't do with Apex since it has the power of the Oracle database behind it.
5. The forum can help you solve your programming problems and help educate you about the tool, it can't do your analysis and design for you. If you need application templates other than those which have already been developed in Apex I suggest you go to sourceforge.net and download and install any of the free applications specific to your needs to give you a start on YOUR design.
1. Business Intelligence is a general term which can mean anything, just as accounting is a general term which means different things to different people.I agree 100%, I've lost count of the number of terms I've heard people say things like 'Can APEX do BI" or "Can APEX do ERP", these are catch-all definitions that mean little by themselves. As always the devil is in the details.
By itself Apex can't solve your application problem. You have to do that.Again, agree 100%, you have obviously had the same discussions I've had with people ;)
3. The tool is only as good as the person using it.Absolutely 100% agree, this cannot be over-stated, having the worlds best development tool is no use if you don't take the time to learn how to use it, conversely the best programmer in the world can be 'ham-strung' by using a tool that doesn't let them do their job/task.
4. There is little you can't do with Apex since it has the power of the Oracle database behind it.One of my favorite phrases ;)
5. The forum can help you solve your programming problems and help educate you about the tool, it can't do your analysis and design for you.Absolutely 100% agree again...
Some great points, very well made ;)
you said that you dont know from where to install the sample aplications.
Well, try this link http://apex.oracle.com/i/index.html
If you want sample aplications just click on the Packaged Applications.
Then download them and install.
hope it helps,
thanks for the link
bundle of thanks..it very much clear now..about what is Bl..thanks you so much
Very Best Regards
Hi brother ;-)
I just had to reply to this thread as I'll included it in my weekly APEX Forum wrap-up (in the funny part). We get a lot of these questions... and the answer is simple APEX runs in the database, if you can do it in the Oracle database, you can probably do it in APEX.
Offtopic; "Nomi2007", while reading this thread I wondered where you come from.
-- APEX Forum wrap-up --
i am from uk..studying and doing my thesis now ...i have to develop application in apex.and generate a report including all aspects of apex..with the help of u and other i have come to know very much about it.now i have started my development for the application..i have installed 10g in my system running xp pro sp1..i got a msg....
.Problem: The install has detected that the primary IP address of the system is DHCP-assigned.
Recommendation: Oracle supports installations on systems with DHCP-assigned IP addresses; However, before you can do this, you must configure the Microsoft LoopBack Adapter to be the primary network adapter on the system. See the Installation Guide for more details on installing the software on systems configured with DHCP.
can u plz tell what should i do now..although all installation completed successfully.
now i want to install apex3..i have downloaded it..when i opened i couldnot find any file to install ..is there any different way to install apex in 10g db..
looking forward to you
This forum is not really designed to spoon feed every technical question people have, rather it is a tool where you fall back on once you've "read the manual". I'm sure that many of us would like to see your thesis but before you can start it you'll have to put some effort yourself into getting up to speed on the fundamentals such as setting up and understanding Oracle & systems development.
Problem: The install has detected that the primary IP address of the system is DHCP-assigned.As the error message tells you, the problem is that your machine has a dynamic IP address (assigned via DHCP), Oracle usually requires the machine to have a static IP address, I say 'usually' because it is possible to use a dynamic address however it will really make your life easier to make your machine have a static address.
This is well documented in the (very comprehensive) installation document for Oracle. I appreciate that it can be daunting to read all of the documentation available for Oracle (there is a HUGE amount of it), however you should really read the install documents before trying to install software as complex/feature rich as Oracle.
You definitely should install the Microsoft LoopBack Adapter.
I would also suggest to patch your database to the latest version.
How big is the zip (of APEX 3) you downloaded? Do you use winzip to unpack it?