1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2007 7:57 PM by 450792 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
        Hello,

>>
        Just a further question - do you think this is something that will eventually take off within ApEx (i.e incorporating Flex) or not?
        >>

We're probably not going to integrate Flex into the product in anyway but do want to be able to have the hooks so end developers can integrate into their products. Truthfully though with a bit of javascript and using ondemand process's to pull xml data we've almost got it covered.

Carl
        • 16. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
          dccase
          In most cases, I wouldn't want to give up the simplicity of Apex just to get the slick GUI-ness of Flex.

But, it does offer answers to some frequently asked questions like
          "How can I make a scrolling report region with fixed column headers that works in all browsers?"
          • 17. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
            Dimitri Gielis
            Here're some other examples of tests we did (I updated my previous post too as I removed that app (page) and integrated it with this app):
            http://flex.apex-evangelists.com/

The Flex on Emp comes from Doug if I remember correct.

Dimitri
            • 18. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
              Dimitri Gielis
              And yes Carl is right, that's what we did... javascript and an ondemand process.
              It already works. The only problem is that Flex can also work through Data Services (instead RPC calls) which is a lot easier.
              We're currently investigating more integration then you see on the test pages.

APEX is great for RAD, nothing can compete with that. Adobe Flex is great in UI, at this stage I don't see something to compete with that (although AJAX can come in the neighbourhood). You'll see why we needed to use Adobe Flex instead of AJAX in the near future (I expect we can show it in 2-3 weeks).

Dimitri
              • 19. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                Hello,

>>
                Adobe Flex is great in UI, at this stage I don't see something to compete with that
                >>

Not sure I agree with that. Flex is great as long as you want to stick within the parameters that Flex sets. As soon as you want to create a custom widget your right back into Flash development, and having been a Flash developer for a couple years I always found it to be a maintenance and development nightmare.

When you get deeply into Flex now you need to learn the Flex XML language (and Flash) along with quite a bit of Actionscript (which is just close enough to Javascript to make sense but just different enough to drive you insane).

I consider Flex much along the same as I consider Flash / SVG / Java plugins it's another set of tools to use to make your application as usable and user friendly as long as you know your audience. The nice thing about APEX out of the box though is that it's the common denominator which is HTML / CSS / Javascript which is up and ready to run on near any computer, (yes yes I know all about Flash's market penetration but still stand by that statement).

As has been stated before in the forum use the proper tool for the job, and leave yourself in a position to extend on that ( I made that second part up myself but like I said I've done some heavy Flash development before) ;)

Anyway I can't wait to see what people come up with, and any improvements we can make to make the integration of APEX and Flex (or any other 3rd party architecture) together we will definitely take into consideration .

Carl
                • 20. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                  Dimitri Gielis
                  Hi Carl,

Don't understand me wrong... I'll never quit APEX for Flex!
                  For me, APEX still stays my favourite development environment by far. That won't change that quick ;-)

As for Flex, I also agree that it comes back to Flash development and sometimes I get crazy about the different files or the "unstructured" language (for ex. when working with data services). I find APEX much more "clean" (it's all in the database).
                  But that was never my point... I don't want to go for only Flex development, instead I'm trying to integrate all (APEX, AJAX, Flex)...
                  >>
                  I consider Flex much along the same as I consider Flash / SVG / Java plugins it's another set of tools to use to make your application as usable and user friendly as long as you know your audience.
                  >>
                  Indeed... that's exactly why I used it... the example we hope to get finished in some weeks will show "interactivity" as I didn't know would be possible.

And Carl, I'm an "Apex Evangelist" not a Flex Evangelist or anything else ;-)
                  We at AE see our role to evangelise APEX and keep ahead with technology. With the coming web 2.0 we're looking into what that w(c)ould mean.

Thanks,
                  Dimitri
                  -- APEX Forum wrap-up --
                  @ http://dgielis.blogspot.com
                  • 21. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                    Thanks for all the responses.

Dimitri, looking forward to seeing your Apex/Flex app in the near future - pls post back here when finished.

Thanks.

Tony.
                    • 22. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                      Hi DCCase

Would really appreciate any help with this one. I'm trying to integrate a flex component into apex. I've followed your example but I'm getting this error.

[RPC Fault faultString="HTTP request error" faultCode="Server.Error.Request" faultDetail="Error: [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2032: Stream Error. URL: flexXML"]. URL: EmployeeXML"]

I've got a stored pl/sql function (EmployeeXML) that returns xml clob

I want to use an On Demand Process to call it but I'm not sure how to do it? Would so appreciate any help. I can email you directly if you'd prefer??
                      Again, would so, so, so appreciate a steer in the right direction.
                      Yours in hope,
                      Mary
                      • 23. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                        dccase
                        Mary,

To feed the XML to the Flex application, your procedure will have to return it through htp.p.
                        Maybe you'll have to loop though your CLOB and return it a chunk at a time.

As a first test, you shoudl tryh calling your procedure directly by URL to see if it will return XML to your browser.

Once that part works, Flex should be able to use it.

Doug
                        • 24. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                          Hi Doug,

Thanks so much for reply. I've just written a very simple procedure that returns 2 columns as xml using htp.p.
                          The url is working correctly. I get no errors but I'm getting a blank data grid when I call it from within flex. Can't figure what's wrong.
                          If I initially want to just bind a couple of data columns to a data grid, do I need this line...

<bridge:FABridge bridgeName="flash" id="flash" xmlns:bridge="bridge.*" />

Thanks again for your help
                          Mary
                          • 25. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                            dccase
                            Mary,

I don't think you need that line. It enables an interface between javascript and the Flex app.

If you call your procedure via a URL, do you get results like this?
                            http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/chatless_db.employeexml
                            • 26. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                              Hi Doug,

Yes, it gives this from the url...
                              SMITH CLERK ALLEN SALESMAN WARD SALESMAN JONES MANAGER MARTIN SALESMAN BLAKE MANAGER CLARK MANAGER SCOTT ANALYST KING PRESIDENT TURNER SALESMAN ADAMS CLERK JAMES CLERK FORD ANALYST MILLER CLERK

If I output it to the screen in sqlPlus, it gives this .... (so the datafields are matching up)
                              <ROWSET>
                              <ROW>
                              <ENAME>SMITH</ENAME>
                              <JOB>CLERK</JOB>

</ROW>
                              <ROW>
                              <ENAME>ALLEN</ENAME>
                              <JOB>SALESMAN</JOB>
                              </ROW>
                              <ROW>

.... but still a blank grid. When I run it, it says 'Transferring data from localhost...' on the status bar but then nothing. Its like there should be a step between the Service Request and binding to the datagrid.

<mx:HTTPService id="userRequest" url="http://localhost:7777/pls/apex/globalgdirect.employeeXML" useProxy="false" method="GET">
                              <mx:request xmlns="">
                              </mx:request>
                              </mx:HTTPService>
                              <mx:DataGrid id="dgUserRequest" x="0" y="30" rowCount="15" dataProvider="{userRequest}">
                              <mx:columns>
                              <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="ENAME" dataField="ENAME"/>
                              <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="JOB" dataField="JOB"/>
                              </mx:columns>
                              </mx:DataGrid>

Thanks again for your help, Doug ... its actually the charts in Flex that I want to have a play with integrating into APEX. If I can get this example working, I'm hoping they should be straighforward.

Best Regards,
                              Mary
                              • 27. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                                Hi again, Doug

I got it working. I defined a function to populate an ArrayCollection on the result event of the HTTPService class and then used the ArrayCollection as the dataProvider. Works like a dream.
                                Not fully clear on why I couldn't get it to work without it but hey ho ....

Many thanks again for your help.

Best Regards,
                                Mary
                                • 28. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                                  dccase
                                  Mary,

It looks like my example on apex.oracle.com doesn't work anymore.
                                  It still works on my server at home. It's running Apex version 2.2.1.
                                  I wonder if that makes a difference?

I'll have to try it on my 3.0.1 server to see if the version makes a difference.

Can you show us the code you used? Maybe moving the data into an array cleans it up?

Doug
                                  • 29. Re: Open Source Flash Tools
                                    Hi Doug,

I reckon it might be something on the flex side .... here's the code ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                                    <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
                                         layout="absolute"
                                         creationComplete="unitRPC.send()">

<mx:Script>
                                         <![CDATA[
                                              import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;
                                              import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

[Bindable]
                                              private var units:ArrayCollection=new ArrayCollection();

private function unitRPCResult(event:ResultEvent):void{
                                                   units=event.result.ROWSET.ROW;
                                              }

]]>
                                         </mx:Script>

<mx:HTTPService id="unitRPC"
                                         url="http://localhost:7777/pls/apex/globalgdirect.employeeXML"
                                         result="unitRPCResult(event)"/>

<mx:DataGrid id="dgUserRequest" x="0" y="30" rowCount="15" dataProvider="{units}">
                                    <mx:columns>
                                    <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="ENAME" dataField="ENAME"/>
                                    <mx:DataGridColumn headerText="JOB" dataField="JOB"/>
                                    </mx:columns>
                                    </mx:DataGrid>

</mx:Application>

Regards,
                                    Mary
                                    1 2 Previous Next