This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 2:37 AM by Paul M. RSS

Permission denied on /u01/app/oraInventory/logs

437541 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi I have oracle 10g installed on Solaris 9 on the uat box. I have created a new user for test purpose and created new groups dbatest and opertest that ownes Oracle. The test user is added to the oinstall group. when I try to install oracle binaries, I get the following error. You do not have sufficient permissions to access the inventory '/u01/app/oraInventory/logs'. Installation cannot continue. Make sure that you have read/write permissions to the inventory directory and restart the installer.: Permission denied

The permissions on /u01/app/oraInventory are chmod -R g+x /u01/app/oraInventory but I am still unable to install the software. Can anyone advise. Thanks
  • 1. Re: Permission denied on /u01/app/oraInventory/logs
    IvanKartik Oracle ACE
    Make sure that you have read/write permissions to the inventory directory and restart the installer.: Permission denied
    The permissions on /u01/app/oraInventory are chmod -R g+x /u01/app/oraInventory
    Group oinstall needs also write permission.
  • 2. Re: Permission denied on /u01/app/oraInventory/logs
    ViragSharma Newbie
    The permissions on /u01/app/oraInventory are chmod -R
    g+x /u01/app/oraInventory but I am still unable to
    Above command will give only execute permission, use/change

chmod -R 760 /u01/app/oraInventory

or change Inventory location to some new place in /etc/oraInst.loc, where group has write permission.

Virag
  • 3. Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory (Ora db 10g Std ONE)
    578538 Newbie
    I reinstalled Oracle Database 10g Standard ONE ed on my laptop. First intallation went fine. When I tried to install a second time, installa GUI shuts off and isntallation just stops. Nothing is installed in my program Files. The C:\oracle\ directory is present. Some keys are present in my registry and my log file shows the followng:

Initializing install inventory
    Setting up install inventory
    Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory.
    Oracle Universal Installer version is 10.1.0.2.0

Can anyone help me?
  • 4. Re: Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory (Ora db 10g Std ONE
    ViragSharma Newbie
    I usually clean manually oracle entry from registry using regedit, not sure any script or exe come for same.
    run regedit and remove entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE , HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/ and remove oracle directories. Then reboot system to load edited registry and try.

Virag
  • 5. Re: Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory (Ora db 10g Std ONE
    578538 Newbie
    Virag,
    Thank you. Indeed, it was a matter of those keys left in the registry. Prior to receiving your tip, I was using the search function of the registry to locate all entries but visibly, these two keys were left. Suprising but so.
    Christiane
  • 6. Re: Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory (Ora db 10g Std ONE
    23a2b1af-7f46-4f74-8bc5-b0c47f961c74 Newbie

Still I am not able to resolve.

I am getting the follwing message

[soasuite@hadoop-datanode2 Disk1]$ ./runInstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking installer requirements...

Checking operating system version: must be redhat-4, redhat-5, SuSE-9 or SuSE-10
                                          Passed

All installer requirements met.

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 400 MB.   Actual 1805 MB    Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 512 MB.   Actual 4893MB    Passed
    Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors    Failed <<<<
        >>> Could not execute auto check for display colors using command /usr/X11R6/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set.
    Checking if CPU speed is above 300 MHz.    Actual 800 MHz    Passed

Some optional pre-requisite checks have failed (see above). Continue? (y/n) [n] y
    You do not have sufficient permissions to access the inventory '/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs'. Installation cannot continue. Make sure that you have read/write permissions to the inventory directory and restart the installer.: Permission denied

and on using chmod -R g+x /u01/app/oraInventory command again m facing issue and getting error msg as

chmod: changing permissions of `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory': Operation not permitted

chmod: changing permissions of `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs': Operation not permitted

chmod: cannot read directory `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs': Permission denied

chmod: changing permissions of `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/oraInstaller.properties': Operation not permitted

chmod: changing permissions of `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/oui': Operation not permitted

chmod: cannot read directory `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/oui': Permission denied

chmod: changing permissions of `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/install.platform': Operation not permitted

chmod: changing permissions of `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/ContentsXML': Operation not permitted

chmod: cannot read directory `/u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/ContentsXML': Permission denied

Please reply

Its urgent...

thanks

• 7. Re: Unable to read the list of homes from the inventory (Ora db 10g Std ONE
    Paul M. Oracle ACE
    Its urgent...

If it's so urgent, then open a SR on MOS, instead of hijacking a 6 years old thread...