This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2007 2:16 PM by 4610 RSS

Using Word Verification On Registration Page

4610 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm using Scott's example from the Wiki to display a word verification and have a text box for the user to type it in.

So how do I access the value from the image to make sure that what they entered is correct?

Thanks,
Chad
  • 1. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    Jes Oracle ACE
    Im using Scott's example from the Wiki to display a word verification and have a text box for the >user to type it in.
    Can you give a link for that? Or are you referring to this -

http://wiki.shellprompt.net/bin/view/Apex/ImageVerificationExample

In that example, you can store the value generated anywhere you like (in a table for example).

By the way, that's my example, not 'Scott's' (my surname is Scott, perhaps that's where you got confused?)
  • 2. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    Dimitri Gielis Oracle ACE Director
    By the way, that's my example, not 'Scott's' (my surname is Scott, perhaps that's where you got confused?)
    For the second time today some people think something from Jes is coming from Scott ;-)
    Scott is a too popular name in this forum, we have
    - Scott Spendolini
    - Scott Spadafore
    and... John Scott

You could become confused after a while ;-)

This thread is taken into account for the weekly forum wrap-up (funny part).

Dimitri
  • 3. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    Jes,

Yes, I was referring to the link you gave. Sorry for the confusion on the name. :)

I can certainly store it in a table. I wondered about that since it's in the pkgauth package that I'm aware of what the code is that I've created.

Thanks,
    Chad
  • 4. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    This thread is taken into account for the weekly forum wrap-up (funny part).
    Wow...I've now been funny twice in one week!

And let me also add that my boss also is named Scott.

Chad
  • 5. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    Dimitri Gielis Oracle ACE Director
    Congratulations Chad!

I should start to look for some trophies ;-) At the end of the year a flashback with the top 3 in every category.

Dimitri
    -- APEX Forum wrap-up --
    @ http://dgielis.blogspot.com
  • 6. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    Jes Oracle ACE
    At the end of the year a flashback with the top 3 in every category.
    Is that some thinly veiled Oracle database joke? Oh Dimitri...you are a geek ;)
  • 7. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    Okay, I was looking through some of Carl's examples and saw where he showed doing a SVG Chart from an application process and decided that's what I wanted to do, but I'm having a time getting it to work.

Here's what I've done:

1) Create application level process:

DECLARE
    v_random number;

begin
    v_random := trunc(dbms_random.value(100000,999999));
    owa_util.mime_header( ccontent_type => 'image/svg+xml', bclose_header => FALSE, ccharset => 'utf-8');
    htp.p('Expires: Thu, 29 Oct 2000 17:04:19 GMT');
    htp.p('Pragma: no-cache');
    htp.p('Cache-Control: no-cache');
    owa_util.http_header_close;
    htp.p('<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>');
    htp.p('<svg width="100" height="100" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1">');
    htp.p('<desc>Image generation demo</desc>');
    htp.p('<rect x="1" y="1" width="99" height="99" fill="yellow" stroke="navy" stroke-width="1" />');
    htp.p('<text x="10" y="50" font-size="20" fill="blue">');
    htp.p(v_random);
    htp.p('</text>');
    htp.p('</svg>');
    end;

Settings are:
    Process Point: On Demand
    Type: PL/SQL Anonymous Block

In the region footer of the page I'm working on, I changed the code to look like this:
    <embed src="f?p=&APP_ID.:0:&APP_SESSION.:APPLICATION_PROCESS=word_verification" width="70" height="40" type="image/svg+xml" />

I've noted that word_verification is the correct name for my process, but I'm not getting anything back. It doesn't appear that the process is running.

To test that theory, I added an insert statement to the process and I don't seem to get any results from that either.

I do have a page zero (ID of 0 - name of Page Zero) in my app, but I didn't do anything to it for this procedure? Do I need to?

By the way, the link to what I was looking at is here:
    http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=11933:25

Thanks,
    Chad
  • 8. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    I've got the process running now. So I see it inserting data into a table. But the SVG image isn't displaying. Must be something within the image display code then.

Chad
  • 9. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    Jes Oracle ACE
    Chad,

I would suggest putting your code onto the public Oracle server (apex.oracle.com) so that it makes it easier to see exactly what you've done.
  • 10. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    Well I was doing that....but here, it's working. :/

The one difference. Here, I was logging into the application before the process was being called.

On my actual app, I'm trying to display this on a registration page, so they aren't logged in yet.

Is it not possible to call application level processes without being logged in? I tried removing the &APP_SESSION. and that didn't work, so my guess it I can't get there from here. :)

Chad
  • 11. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    Well duh. I spend all this time worrying about web stuff I forget about the simple database side. :)

The reason it wouldn't work is apex_public_user didn't have the privilege to run it. Once I granted it, it worked!

Now...to prevent people from just reading the page source code and running the code themselves.

Chad
  • 12. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    4610 Newbie
    Well after a bit of digging around, I've stumbled onto another option!

This one takes advantage of something built right into the database already! If you want to know what it looks like, all you need to do is sign up for an account on apex.oracle.com.

Here's a bit of how it appears to work:

To add an image you put the following code in your html:
    img width="40" height="60" ,="" src="FLOWS_030000.wwv_flow_image_generator.get_image?p_position=X&p_sessionid=&APP_SESSION."

Don't forget the < at the beginning and the /> at the end. I tried putting them in, and the board kept eating them. :)

Replace X for p_position with a valid number from 1 through 100.

When the image is generated, the string is stored in a table called wwv_flow_request_verifications. Along with the string is the session id number.

What I haven't determined yet is if you are responsible for deleting the values out of there when you're finished or something else runs later to get rid of them. From what I'm seeing so far it appears as though you're responsible.

Chad
  • 13. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    445907 Newbie
    1) I cannot reproduce example (http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=24935:2), login data:
    WORKSPACE: sdaweb
    user: funky_disco_freak@yahoo.com
    password: qwertz22

2) desc wwv_flow_request_verifications
    or
    desc FLOWS_030000.wwv_flow_request_verifications

gave me "Object to be described could not be found.", regardless I'm working on Oracle WEB SQl worksheet

Any help to make it work?

THX!
  • 14. Re: Using Word Verification On Registration Page
    Jes Oracle ACE
    Your user doesn't have permissions to see it -
    SQL> conn flows_030000@testdb
    Enter password:
    Connected.
    SQL> desc wwv_flow_request_verifications;
    Name                                      Null?    Type
    ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------------------------
    SESSION_ID                                NOT NULL NUMBER
    VERIFICATION_STRING                       NOT NULL VARCHAR2(100)
1 2 Previous Next