5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2007 2:23 PM by 511303 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Oracle Enterprise Linux grub do not start

When rebooting after a successfull install, grub do no start. Keeps forever on is first screen with a a message of " .... phase ".

My machine is AMD Sempron 2800+, 2GB memory and a Samsung 80 GB.
        • 1. Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux grub do not start
          plz give me more deatails
          • 2. Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux grub do not start
            Looks like the grub has been destroyed.You can try to reinstall the grub by boot the system from CD in rescue mode!

• 3. Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux grub do not start
              I have installed for 3 times and had same message.

I do not have any detail more than a put here.

The only event is: after successful completion of install, system calls for reboot. I agree. At restart I see only a message at top of screen with a line. This keeps forever. I was the same for every time of trials.

Now to test my platform, I installed Suse Linux 9 and is running fine.

• 4. Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux grub do not start
                dear friend
                u should reinstall the linux grub
                by using linux rescue
                try to do this
                • 5. Re: Oracle Enterprise Linux grub do not start
                  Reinstalling the grub of course, but before that you have to verify the "cylinder > 1024 problem" (the system might be unable to boot from a partition whose logical cylinder past logical cylinder 1024). If this is not the case (SuSE already successfully installed!), you have to examine two critical files in the /boot/grub directory:

1. /boot/grub/device.map, showing something like this (my dual-boot example):
                  # this device map was generated by anaconda
                  (hd2)     /dev/sda
                  (hd0)     /dev/sdc
                  2. /boot/grub/grub.conf that looks like this:
                  # grub.conf generated by anaconda
                  # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
                  # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
                  #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
                  #          root (hd2,0)
                  #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sdc3
                  #          initrd /initrd-version.img
                  color white/blue black/cyan
                  title Enterprise (2.6.9-
                       root (hd2,0)
                       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9- ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
                       initrd /initrd-2.6.9-
                  title Windows Server 2003
                       rootnoverify (hd0,0)
                       chainloader +1
                  The critical point is /boot partition, here (hd2,0) on /dev/sda, and this information must be the same in both files: device.map and grub.conf. My suggestion is:

1. copy device.map and grub.conf from SuSE installation on a floppy
                  2. install OEL once again
                  3. if the same problem persists go to the 4.
                  4. reboot the system with rescue CD or the first installation CD and type: linux rescue
                  5. after booting execute in the console: chroot /mnt/sysimage
                  6. edit /boot/grub/device.map and /boot/grub/grub.conf according to the content of SuSE's files
                  7. reinstall grub executing: grub-install /dev/<MBR_disk>, where MBR_disk is probably hda or sda (see device.map).

Hope this will help.