14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2007 12:59 PM by Tony Garabedian

Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms

jahaje
      Hi,
      I'm DBA and my company asked me to demonstrate VPD and proxy authentication of Oracle database EE 10.2 .
      I need to learn these things and test some examples described in documentation .
      May I for these purposes install on my notebook 10.2 EE database downloaded from OTN under Development license ?
      XE doesn't contain these features :)
      Is the trial period restricted to 21 days ?
      regards
      Janus
        • 1. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
          justinkestelyn
          Yes, any software download from OTN can be used for testing/evaluation/development (nonproduction) purposes indefinitely.

Cheers, OTN

Message was edited by:
          jkestely
          • 2. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
            Actually I have a question:
            Does Oracle internally has a consistent vision of it's licence terms or not?

Looking at OTN licence agreement here http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/htdocs/devlic.html we can see following statements:
            "We grant you a nonexclusive, nontransferable limited license to use the programs only for the purpose of developing a single prototype of your application, and not for any other purpose. If you use the application you develop under this license for any internal data processing or for any commercial or production purposes, or you want to use the programs for any purpose other than as permitted under this agreement, you must contact us, or an Oracle reseller, to obtain the appropriate license. "

Some lines further:

"You may not:
            [some lines skipped]
            - continue to develop your application after you have used it for any internal data processing, commercial or production purpose without securing an appropriate license from us, or an Oracle reseller;"

So how this complis with "can be used for testing/evaluation/development purposes indefinitely"?

The problem is that this question is very vague for many Oracle customers for example there is a recent [url http://www.freelists.org/archives/oracle-l/07-2007/threads.html]thread (thread title actually is vmware & Oracle) in oracle-l list and there is not a common point of view how to interpret this.

Probably someone could be able to describe it with more or less reall life examples? For example Company X creates app using Oracle DB for company Y. App is in production but company X continues to enhance it. Does X has to licence it's development DBs'es or not?

Gints Plivna
            http://www.gplivna.eu
            • 3. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
              Hans Forbrich
              1) The license says you can only use the database to create a[i] single prototype.

No real ambiguity, is there? Just need to answer whether 'learning' does fit into the definition of 'creating a prototype'?

2) It does go on to say that the prototype can not be put into production - internal use or commercial - without getting an appropriate license.

Fine - this ensures the dev license is not inherited by the prototype

3) It states that any other use requires contacting Oracle sales for an appropriate license.

So, if you download and create a paperweight using the software, you need to discuss this with Oracle. The license is about 'Right to Use' and Oracle simply wants to make sure you are using it correctly within the license to which you agreed.

4) You may not: [some lines skipped] - continue to develop your application

If 'learning' IS permitted under the definition of prototype, then what is an application? Can a single SQL statement be defined as an application?

Bottom lines:

1) If it's simple SQL you are wanting to learn, use Oracle Express Edition;

2) If you wat to learn all of Oracle capability AND want to stay perfectly legal, purchase the relatively inexpensive Personal Edition - it has all otyhe features of Oradle Enterprise Edition and is actually less expensive than Microsoft Office Professional.
              • 4. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                1) The license says you can only use the database to
                create a[i] single prototype.
                No real ambiguity, is there? Just need to answer
                whether 'learning' does fit into the definition of
                'creating a prototype'?
                OK there isn't. Or have I understood it properly that Application X using one purely development schema appowner means one prototype. And as soon as one creates second schema on the same DB or different DB then it is the second prototype.
                So nice until now. Of course the question remains - what is that kind of licence worth because I've yet to be find an app developed just on single schema all its lifecycle including development and test. OK even if such app exists I'd better won't use it :)
                2) It does go on to say that the prototype can not be
                put into production - internal use or commercial -
                without getting an appropriate license.
                The question about test and other possible development instances is not 100% percent clear to me although I'm quite sure that these must be more than one prototype...

>
                Fine - this ensures the dev license is not inherited
                by the prototype

3) It states that any other use requires contacting
                Oracle sales for an appropriate license.
                OK this is the bright side of life because it means negotiations and these almost always leads to some compromises :)
                4) You may not: [some lines skipped] - continue to
                develop your application

If 'learning' IS permitted under the definition of
                prototype, then what is an application? Can a single
                SQL statement be defined as an application?
                Yeahhh and at least to my mind it definitely cannot be described as "indefinite development purpose".
                Bottom lines:

1) If it's simple SQL you are wanting to learn, use
                Oracle Express Edition;

2) If you wat to learn all of Oracle capability AND
                want to stay perfectly legal, purchase the relatively
                inexpensive Personal Edition - it has all otyhe
                features of Oradle Enterprise Edition and is actually
                less expensive than Microsoft Office Professional.
                Of course this absolutely contradicts to the goal of developing an app on the as much as possible close environment as real production will be...

So the bottom bottom line is - speak and get __written__ licencing contract from your sales rep for everything anyway, isn't it? :)

Gints Plivna
                • 5. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                  Hans Forbrich
                  a) Test and Dev must be fully licensed if there is a Production. The simple check - if Oracle told you to turn off Dev and Test for 6 months, would there be any impact on production, production capability, or support of production?

b) Personal Edition has all the capabilties AND OPTIONS of Express, Standard and Enterprise Edition. When you install Personal Edition, you can literally remove the features to make sure you match the target environment. (Custom install.)
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                    jahaje
                    Hi,
                    As I understood from your answers:
                    1) trial period is NOT restricted by number of days
                    2) learning - UNFORTUNATELLY - cannot be considered as 'developing a single prototype'
                    And conclusion - NOT GOOD for me - No, you cannot use DB for these purposes .
                    thank you for your replies .
                    with kind regards
                    Janus
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                      BTW there are recent blog postings about the very same problem:
                      Howard Rogers
                      http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/897
                      and Niall Litchfield
                      http://www.orawin.info/services/node/37

It seems that all are more or less in consensus about need for development licences, but opinions quite differ for learning purposes.

Probably someone from Oracle could really make things more clear?

Gints Plivna
                      • 8. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                        justinkestelyn
                        Howard's take is correct; Niall's is too "close" a reading. One of the main purposes of the Developer License is to allow users to learn Oracle, hands-on. The license, if you read it, does not explicitly prohibit the software's use for self-education purposes.

Cheers, OTN
                        • 9. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                          Niall Litchfield
                          1) The license says you can only use the database to
                          create a[i] single prototype.
                          No real ambiguity, is there? Just need to answer
                          whether 'learning' does fit into the definition of
                          'creating a prototype'?
                          Depends who you ask - I've read, and welcome Justin's comments below - I still have a hard time reconciling them with the wording of the license. Howard, and indeed Justin, disagree - pointing to the use of the words 'third party training' as a specific exclusion. Where I've worked we've always had some named user licenses as well as the more general per processor licenses so it hasn't directly affected me, but I do tend to interpret legal agreements quite closely - as Justin has noted - specifically if you get a clause that says "you may only ....".

I do welcome justin's comments below though - the common understanding which was indeed mine until I reread the license seems to me a great advantage of OTN - you won't as far as I know find any other major software supplier with as generous a stance.
                          • 10. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                            justinkestelyn
                            Please see the new, clarifying language at http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/index.html.

Thanks all for your suggestions!
                            • 11. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                              Wow, Justin I'm really agreeably surprised! Thank you!
                              This is much better and more clear!

Gints Plivna
                              • 12. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                                jahaje
                                yes - WOW - thank you Oracle !

Janus
                                • 13. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                                  Hans Forbrich
                                  I'm impressed.

And - thank you!
                                  • 14. Re: Oracle Database 12.0 OTN dev license trial terms
                                    Tony Garabedian
                                    Very nice Indeed.
                                    Thank you Oracle