This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 6 11 Previous Next 154 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2008 4:42 PM by 601182 Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    578496 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Well, I'm not sure I would agree with you that "noone (sic) would switch from Oracle bacause (sic) of that". An organizing with a whole bunch of Macs (like ours) might... but combined with the incredible expense and high-maintenance costs of Oracle and the blossoming scaleable options becoming available, it's almost becoming a no-brainer.
    Our organization is suffering from the issue as well
    (particulary, right now I'm forced to do CLI debuging
    on linux because I can't compile/debug on my Mac),
    but for those who is "considering other RDBMS"... We
    all know that noone would switch from Oracle bacause
    of that and Oracle knows that. My take is that some
    senior exec got pissed off at Apple beacuse of the
    Intel transition and made a decision to put that
    thing on hold. Of course that's just another
    conspiracy theory...
  • 46. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    588734 Newbie
    Agreed, phrases like "noone" are flawed by definition, but the reality is that switching is not an option and I bet the majority of existing customers are in the same boat. Anyway, just wanted to express my frustration over the issue (pretty much all I can do here).
  • 47. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    588734 Newbie
    An addition -- by "the reality is that switching is not an option" I meant "for our organization".
  • 48. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    578496 Newbie
    You're right.... it's very hard for many organizations to switch. It indeed makes this issue even more frustrating.
    Agreed, phrases like "noone" are flawed by
    definition, but the reality is that switching is not
    an option and I bet the majority of existing
    customers are in the same boat. Anyway, just wanted
    to express my frustration over the issue (pretty much
    all I can do here).
  • 49. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    589039 Newbie
    Yet another developer made stuck by this issue...add me to the customer demand list!
  • 50. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    590363 Newbie
    Please add my voice to the chorus pleading for a release of Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X!
  • 51. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    591268 Newbie
    Yeah, please add me too. This is almost ridiculous.

OTN: do you realize we're only asking for a client, not the whole server?

I'm currently consulting at a place high up in the fortune 500, and we may potentially give Oracle the boot because of this issue (from our project, not the whole company). Does Ellison know about this?
  • 52. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    389703 Journeyer
    Yes, we do realize that. We also don't make these decisions, just (ideally) inject community feedback into the decision-making process.

This thread has been forwarded to all relevant parties.
  • 53. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    590816 Newbie
    Did you forward the thread to them before or after you deleted my post from 7/31/07?

I'm going to open vmware fusion now and fire up an entirely separate OS just so I can run a ruby script to run a migration on my oracle database.

All these great tools and I have to downgrade to an antiquated operating system just to interface with oracle. FOR SHAME!

Why don't I just make things easy on my bottom line, and myself, and switch to an open source database? Certainly I can compile the library for mysql sooner than an Oracle boss will get around to tasking a developer with hitting the enter key on a mac.

This thread exemplifies the danger and inevitable frustration of being locked in to a vendor, especially an opaque one that doesn't seem to care.
  • 54. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    389703 Journeyer
    I deleted your post because it was a political rant. This one is pretty close to one, too.
  • 55. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    592130 Newbie
    As a software engineer at a very large NYC based magazine company (big hint: we publish Wired), with lots of intel macs, who has just upgraded from a G5 iMac (where I had 10g installed) to a MBP, I say Oracle has dropped the ball here.
    We are all Oracle all the time. 95% of our dev is Java. But I am part of a team spearheading dev in PHP. Now I can't use my OCI8 module on my MBP, even to connect to another server with Oracle.
    I've had our new Solaris Server outfitted with both Oracle and MySQL. One PHP app I've written already just uses MySQL using the excellent PDO object module. That app eliminated our need for SQLServer. (which also, incidently, does not run on OSX). See the pattern here? Have you heard of LAMP? Please give us working client libraries for OSX intel immediately please so I can get back to work with Oracle and PHP. Thanks for passing this on.
  • 56. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    389703 Journeyer
    As I've pointed out several times, we (meaning OTN) are doing all we can in our role as internal advocates.
  • 57. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    587701 Newbie
    Unfortunately this does not appear to be enough. As porting the Instant Client libraries to OSX is such a trivial task as to be laughable, no one here is asking for 10g on OSX that I may see...

Get on with it, deliver the libraries already.
  • 58. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    590198 Newbie
    Please beg product management to make this possible. The VM environment work around is OK, but being able to just develop under the osx intel would be awesome for all PHP / Oracle Developers.
  • 59. Re: Oracle Instant Client for Intel MacOS X
    389703 Journeyer
    We're begging, believe me.
1 2 3 4 5 6 11 Previous Next