6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2007 9:31 PM by 3004 RSS

Backup

How I can backup Essbase?s application?I need to know alternatives of backup.
        • 1. RE:Backup
          Hi,One common backup strategy is to shutdown the Essbase Server application, and do a full backup of all drives. Another option is to shut down Essbase, and only backup the seven (or so) critical files (as listed in the BeginArchive operations file list), and the SEC file. Another option is to place the application/database that you want to backup in archive mode, then back it up, then endarchive. Note that to backup the SEC file, Essbase must not be running. I have used BackupExec for years with no problems. Use an Esscmd or MaxL script to stop Essbase or place apps in archive mode. I would disable login and logout all users first. --Jeff McAhrenDallas, Texas                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
          • 2. Backup
            Good Day,We have just installed System 9 HFM and Planning.Is there a good document created by anyone that describes backup process.ThanksAzmat Bhatti
            • 3. RE:Backup
              <p>Hi jeff,</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Could you please show an example of esscmd or mxl script</p><p> </p><p>that would be helpfull.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
              • 4. Backup
                Hi Raj, Have a look the following script../* '|=============== StopApplication.mxl v1 ======================='FILENAME.....: StopServer.mxl'CREATED......: 06/26/2007/ 'USAGE........: essmsh C:\XXXXXXXXXXX\StopApplication.mxl'DESCRIPTION..: This script will log off all users on specified server, stops all applications           and then shut down the server------------------------ .'OTHER........: If you encounter problems, check file paths and read the spool output'==================================================================|*//* Write out spool to where ever you like */spool on to 'C:\Scripts\StopApplication.txt';/* Login Here---Change UserName PassWord and ServerName to your own*/login 'UserName' 'PassWord' on 'ServerName';/* Logoff all users from selected server */alter system logout session all;/* Unload the application from the server */alter system unload application all;/* Stopping Analytic Server-- You must have supervisor Permission */alter system shutdown;/* End Output and Exit */Spool off;logout;exit;After you run the above script, you can back up your applications ie ind,pag,esm,tct,db,sec,bak,cfg,rul,otl,rep,csc, and any other files in application directory. Hope that helps you.
                • 5. Backup
                  Sorry for the earlier reply/* Write out spool to where ever you like */spool on to 'C:\Scripts\StopApplication.txt';spool on to 'C:\Scripts\StopApplication.txt';login 'UserName' 'PassWord' on 'ServerName';/* Logoff all users from selected server */alter system logout session all;/* Unload the application from the server */alter system unload application all;/* Stopping Analytic Server-- You must have supervisor Permission */alter system shutdown;/* End Output and Exit */Spool off;logout;exit;After you run the above script, you can back up your applications ie ind,pag,esm,tct,db,sec,bak,cfg,rul,otl,rep,csc, and any other files in application directory. Hope that helps you.
                  • 6. RE:Backup
                    <p>Jeff,<br><br>I'm not sure if I'll agree with you that the Essbase server has tobe shutdown, however it's highly recommended to have a safe copy ofthe server files. this happens in the case of some applications anddatabases are running and you don't want to stop them.<br>I have many applications on different servers, each server hasdifferents specs, also some of the databases are running 24/7 so Ican't stop the Essbase server, at the same time I want to back thesystem files: essbase.sec, essbase.bak and essbase.cfg.<br>What I did is wrote a vbscript that takes an application at thetime and put its DBs on read only mode, backs up the entireapplication folder, it takes care of multiple drives too, then putthe databases back to read-write mode, and go to nextapplication.<br><br>Do you think making a backup in a time where a minimum number ofusers will affect the system files that need to be backed up, Idon't think any changes on security or filters or groups will bemade at the time of the backup, further more the backup takes fewseconds to be done thanks to Robocopy that cruises through foldersin few seconds.</p>