This discussion is archived
0 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2007 7:39 AM by user602739 RSS

Using OAS for Linux for Oracle Net Service Name Resolution

user602739 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
In a blog, Dirk Nachbar suggested OAS for Linux might be an easy way to implement OID for Oracle Net Service name resolution for those of us who want to get away from tnsnames.ora files, but are not thrilled with the size and complexity of the full application server OID solution as outlined by Vincent Chan here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/chan-oid.html. I have several questions before I start down this path to make sure I'm not heading down a dead-end road.
1) Is Dirk Nachbar correct that this is a viable, lightweight alternative for Oracle Service name resolution?
2) Since this will be used solely for tnsnames.ora resolution, there should be no Oracle license fee required, correct?
3) Does the current download, oracle-oid-10.1.4.2.0-1.0.i386.rpm, work on both Linux-x86 and LInux x86-64 machines with both 32 bit and 64 bit Red Hat Linux?
4) Can this be installed on a hardware cluster (NOT Oracle RAC), a.k.a, Red Hat Cluster, using a virtual host name instead of a physical host name so that if one node of the cluster fails the service will failover to the second node? If so, what do I need to do to force the software to use the virtual hostname instead of the physical hostname during the installation and configuration?

Thanks,
Mike