8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2008 3:30 PM by Hans Forbrich RSS

Database 11g Personal Edition

Nicolas.Gasparotto
      Hello,

If I can buy the Database 11g Personal Edition in the http://store.oracle.com site, I cannot find the description (like for EE, SE, SE One, even XE) on neither of the following pages : Oracle Database Editions Overview and Oracle Database 11g.

Nicolas.
        • 1. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
          gary myers
          It is in the Licensing Information book.
          Eg 11g is here:
          http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/license.111/b28287/editions.htm#BABDJGGI

"Personal Edition includes all of the components that are included with Enterprise Edition, as well as all of the options that are available with Enterprise Edition, with the exception of the Oracle Real Application Clusters option, which cannot be used with Personal Edition. Personal Edition is available on Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 (32-bit and 64-bit versions). The Management Packs are not included in Personal Edition."

If anyone knows why this is Windows only, I'd like to know. I would have thought that Linux would have been appropriate too, even if other OS are deemed predominately multi-user.
          • 2. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
            Nicolas.Gasparotto
            It is in the Licensing Information book.
            Yes I knew, but why not in the Editions description's page, which we can show easily to potential buyers. Keep this information somewhere inside the doc seems to keep this edition as "confidential".

And for Windows OS only, I would share your point of view, why PE wouldn't be on Linux ? We are now at least three or five including Hans :
            Personal Edition on Linux?
            Why is Personal Edition only available in WIndows?

Nicolas.
            • 3. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
              hello.. I just wanna know where can I download Oracle 11G Database personal edition?
              I really need it to install for our Documentum project.
              Please advise. Thank you!

Regards,
              Jhorell
              • 4. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
                Nicolas.Gasparotto
                Download the 11g for Windows - the package is not different from other editions, http://download.oracle.com
                During the installation, choose the personal edition installation type.
                I would advise you to read the installation guide regarding this :
                http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32006/install.htm#BABDJIFG

Nicolas.
                • 5. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
                  Hans Forbrich
                  To further support Nicolas' information, please look at the Oracle 11g Windows install document. In [table 3-1|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32006/install.htm#CIHFJICE] you ill note that you can "Select Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition, Personal Edition, or Custom."

Bottom line is that Oracle bundles all of the editions into one download. Indeed, the common aspects (database, pl/sql, most features) are identical and the installer simply picks which packages are needed to implement your selection.

Note that Personal Edition is not available for any platform other than Windows at this time. I hope we can get Oracle to change that.
                  • 6. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
                    Nicolas.Gasparotto
                    Hans Forbrich wrote:
                    Note that Personal Edition is not available for any platform other than Windows at this time. I hope we can get Oracle to change that.
                    If you have more information about any further news about that, I would be happy to be aware of.

Nicolas.

PS : by the way, how are you doing after that OOW ? Hope everything is ok for you with your come back home.
                    PS2 : that's a pity, the old url markup doesn't work anymore, don't want to edit all the messages.

Edited by: N. Gasparotto on Sep 28, 2008 10:08 PM
                    • 7. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
                      Hans Forbrich
                      N. Gasparotto wrote:
                      Hans Forbrich wrote:
                      If you have more information about any further news about that, I would be happy to be aware of.
                      I'll be discussing this with Oracle's product management in more detail starting this week. One can only hope...
                      PS : by the way, how are you doing after that OOW ? Hope everything is ok for you with your come back home.
                      Due to bad decision on my part - accepting the limo company's advice to arrive at SFO only 75 minutes before flght - I ended up missing my plane. Ended up on standby for the next flight, and finally made it home 6 hours after original schedule. C'est la Vie. I have learned my lesson. <g>

Hoping your return was pleasant and uneventful.
                      • 8. Re: Database 11g Personal Edition
                        Nicolas.Gasparotto
                        Hans Forbrich wrote:
                        N. Gasparotto wrote:
                        Hans Forbrich wrote:
                        I'll be discussing this with Oracle's product management in more detail starting this week. One can only hope...
                        Oh, interesting ! Thanks to keep some feedback over here.
                        Due to bad decision on my part - accepting the limo company's advice about arriving at SFO only 75 minutes before flght - I ended up missing my plane. Ended up on standby for the next flight, and finally made it home 6 hours after original schedule. I have learned my lesson. C'est la Vie <g>
                        Gosh ! Unlucky.
                        Hoping your return was pleasant and uneventful.
                        Everything was fine, except the long long long flight time, and of course an big jetlag. Tomorrow, I'll try to restart a more normal life :-)

Nicolas.