4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2007 12:27 AM by 60437 RSS

Apex Application Computation bug

When you create an Application Computation and set it to run "On New Instance (i.e. Login)", APEX doesn't yet have the APP_USER in session state.

I have an application where depending on the current user, many application-wide variables should be initialized. If I cannot access the APP_USER item, this cannot be done by using an Application Computation.

My alternative is to create Page Computations for the application items on Page 1 (or whatever the default page is after logging on).
        • 1. Re: Apex Application Computation bug
          Tim,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking here. Also could you provide what software and loadout you are using.

Thank You
          • 2. Re: Apex Application Computation bug
            Tim,

take a look here this may answer your questions:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/notes/technote_htmldb_vpd.html
            • 3. Re: Apex Application Computation bug
              Tim,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking here.
              Also could you provide what software and loadout you
              are using.

Thank You
              APEX: 3.0.0.00.20
              DB: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.5.0 - 64bit Production

We're already using VPD but there are some aspects of the system that have to be limited in the front-end rather than at the database level so that doesn't help my problem, but thank you for the suggestion.

The problem is simple, the value of APP_USER is inaccessable at the time when an application computation is run if that application computation is setup to run "On New Instance (i.e. Login)".

I've tried v('APP_USER'), :APP_USER and &APP_USER., and all return null, whether I use them in a SQL statement or even as Static Assignment.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Message was edited by:
              tim.mcguffin@gmail.com
              • 4. Re: Apex Application Computation bug
                Tim,

You might want to put this "setup" code into the authentication scheme's Post-Authentication Process attribute. When this block is executed, APP_USER is set and it only executes once per session.

Scott