7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2007 9:27 AM by 588568 RSS

can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?

hello
      can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?

and i glad if you send me offical link about this

thanks
        • 1. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
          you can not

--
          Sybrand Bakker
          Senior Oracle DBA
          • 2. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
            Madrid
            Before issuing a definite yes or no, it is important to specify the OS platform and the DB version you are currently talking about.

By design, Oracle dataguard must run on the same platform, same OS, same OS patch level, same db patchset, same bitness. However, some customers, due to investment strategies, require the dataguard to run on undersized hardware with less resources, may be more limited than the production environment, or even more, to be on different platform. Oracle recommends to run on homogeneous platforms, just for simplicity in implementation and managing, but some mixing is allowed, including the word size.

On 10g the platform restriction remains, it has to be the same platform, i.e. linux - linux, windows - windows, hpux-hpux, but not necessarily the same word size, so 32/64 bits is possible, some procedures have to be followed, though. In 11g the cross platform dataguard is an added new feature, so it is possible to have a dataguard with a linux <-> windows combination.

Either way, on a 9i Dataguard the bitness was a restriction, it was not possible to have different word size combinations in a dataguard configuration, for both the sql apply and redo apply, on 10g it is possible, just be aware that the dataguard broker doesn't support different word size with the same dataguard configuration, so the management has to be performed from sqlplus (on 11g this restriction is over) and valid for the redo apply, not for the sqlapply (logical standby db), this last configuration has to run with the same bitness.

~ Madrid
            • 3. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
              Madrid
              Mr Bakker,

It is evident you haven't read the 10g/11g documentation.

Regards
              • 4. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
                Nicely done, Madrid!
                • 5. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
                  'Mr' 'I know everything better' Madrid,

Thank you for flaming me, where the OP didn't specify a version at all.

No regards

--
                  Sybrand Bakker
                  Senior Oracle DBA
                  • 6. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
                    dbtoo
                    Thank you for flaming me,
                    I don't know about flames, but it lit a fire under my a$$ to go take a look.

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db111/to_URL?remark=ranked&urlname=http:%2F%2Fdownload.oracle.com%2Fdocs%2Fcd%2FB28359_01%2Fserver.111%2Fb28294%2Fstandby.htm%23i72053

the 11g document interface is so annoying - read section:
                    2.3.1 Hardware and Operating System Requirements

The metalink doc lists the specific permitted combinations.

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/f?p=130:3:6348241571357846942::::p3_database_id,p3_docid,p3_show_header,p3_show_help,p3_black_frame,p3_font:NOT,413484.1,1,1,1,helvetica

Message was edited by:
                    dbtoo
                    p.s. sybrandb, this info isn't directed to you, it's for people later on - people who may actually do a search to look for information rather than posting an 'answer my question 'cause i don't want to read through 10 entries of a search. ;}
                    • 7. Re: can i do dataguard between oracle 64 bit to oracle 32 bit?
                      Now, now sybrandb! You are the NUMBER ONE "RTFM" ponce on this forum, so be big and accept that you soiled your panties when Madrid fed you some of your own medicine.

Vrolijk Kerstfeest!