14 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2011 6:29 PM by user6019031 RSS

SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlplus

On an hp-ux 32 ,,,
      - i downloaded instant client from here http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/hpsoft.html

- installed and set my shlib_path to directory where I extracted it.
      - running sqlplus comes up with this ...

Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
      Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
      SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory.

- what the heck am i missing here?

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlplus
          As the error message mentioned, you need to set ORACLE_HOME point to where you installed Oracle client. Also a good idea to include ORACLE_HOME/bin in your PATH.
          • 2. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
            SHLIB_PATH=/home/oracle/oraclnt/clnt
            SQLPATH=/home/oracle/oraclnt/clnt
            LOGNAME=oracle
            SQL_PATH=/home/oracle/oraclnt/clnt
            ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/oraclnt/clnt

$ sqlplus /nolog
            Error 6 initializing SQL*Plus
            Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
            SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory

- the install doc say that you need NOT set oracle home or sid. I did both ways no luck.
            Note that no ORACLE_HOME or ORACLE_SID environment variables need to be set.
            see here http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/ape.htm#sthref3926

further ideas are more than welcomed.
            • 3. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
              check which sqlplus you are running,
              which sqlplus 
              You will need to set ORACLE_HOME environment variable

Do a
              ls -l $ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus/mesg/
              are there any mesg files ?
              • 4. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                Thank you again. Here the facts ..

1- this box has not prior oracle installs or software on it (other than iclient).
                2- i'm not supposed to be needing any .msb files with iclient. At least this what the doc says all over the place.
                3. really, this is supposed be according to the install instructions an 'instant' and 'enjoy' kind of experience. It is neither.

This is what am suspecting ...
                - the software I used is not compatible with the OS/HW somehow. The one am working with is 32-bit Hp-ux pa-risc version. My box shows that it is ...

-/stand/vmunix: PA-RISC1.1 executable -not stripped
                $ /bin/getconf WORD_BIT : 32
                $ /bin/getconf CPU_CHIP_TYPE: 459
                $ /bin/getconf MACHINE_MODEL: 9000/889/K460
                $ /bin/getconf HW_32_64_CAPABLE: 3
                $ /bin/getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS: 32/64

At least the 64bit one is no good since it was complained about invalid magic number. So, i guess this is my only choice.

If all fails, I could not find truss/tusc/strace on this box to trace system calls for sqlplus.

Now, given the above facts ...
                what is the next step.

Thank you.
                • 5. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                  Thank you again. Here the facts ..

1- this box has not prior oracle installs or software on it (other than iclient).
                  2- i'm not supposed to be needing any .msb files with iclient. At least this what the doc says all over the place.
                  3. really, this is supposed be according to the install instructions an 'instant' and 'enjoy' kind of experience. It is neither.

This is what am suspecting ...
                  - the software I used is not compatible with the OS/HW somehow. The one am working with is 32-bit Hp-ux pa-risc version. My box shows that it is ...

-/stand/vmunix: PA-RISC1.1 executable -not stripped
                  $ /bin/getconf WORD_BIT : 32
                  $ /bin/getconf CPU_CHIP_TYPE: 459
                  $ /bin/getconf MACHINE_MODEL: 9000/889/K460
                  $ /bin/getconf HW_32_64_CAPABLE: 3
                  $ /bin/getconf HW_CPU_SUPP_BITS: 32/64

At least the 64bit one is no good since it was complained about invalid magic number. So, i guess this is my only choice.

If all fails, I could not find truss/tusc/strace on this box to trace system calls for sqlplus.

Now, given the above facts ...
                  what is the next step.

Thank you.
                  • 6. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlplus
                    orafad
                    Did you follow all the steps as documented, also the PATH setting?

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/ape.htm#CHDHAEFB

You are correct in that ORACLE_HOME need not to be set.
                    • 7. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                      you can see from the 'tusc' ouput below that it is clearly trying to locate msb files. These files are not packaged with the instant client. So how it this supposed to ever work? These files are simply missing from the distribution.

close(3) ............................................................................................................. = 0
                      stat("/home/oracle/oraclnt/clnt/libclntsh.sl.10.1", 0x7f7e3070) ...................................................... = 0
                      open("/home/oracle/oraclnt/clnt/libclntsh.sl.10.1", O_RDONLY, 02) .................................................... = 3
                      fstat(3, 0x7f7e3138) ................................................................................................. = 0
                      read(3, "0210010e0512@ \0C f7h 13\0\0\0\0".., 128) ................................................................... = 128
                      lseek(3, 128, SEEK_SET) .............................................................................................. = 128
                      read(3, "10\0\004\0\0\0( 01L W a4\0\010\0".., 48) .................................................................... = 48
                      read(3, "80\0\0\v\0\0\004\0\0\0\0", 12) .............................................................................. = 12
                      lseek(3, 4059136, SEEK_SET) .......................................................................................... = 4059136
                      read(3, "058cy 10\0\0, \ \004: 8 \0\0\0\n".., 112) ................................................................... = 112
                      mmap(NULL, 21782528, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_SHARED|MAP_SHLIB, 3, 0x3df000) ......................................... ERR#12 ENOMEM
                      close(3) ............................................................................................................. = 0
                      munmap(0xcc000000, 70111232) ......................................................................................... = 0
                      munmap(0x7f684000, 4096) ............................................................................................. = 0
                      open("./nls/data/lx1boot.nlb", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE, 0) .............................................................. ERR#2 ENOENT
                      open("./sqlplus/mesg/sp1us.msb", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE, 0121430) ...................................................... ERR#20 ENOTDIR
                      open("./sqlplus/mesg/sp1us.msb", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE, 0121430) ...................................................... ERR#20 ENOTDIR
                      Error 6 write(2, "E r r o r 6 ", 8) ...................................................................................... = 8
                      iwrite(2, "i ", 1) .................................................................................................... = 1
                      nitializwrite(2, "n i t i a l i z ", 8) ...................................................................................... = 8
                      • 8. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                        looks like this is hitting a dead end.
                        • 9. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                          I downloaded and installed Oracle instant client on my linux box successfully without any problem.

Did you download and installed

oracle-instantclient-basic
                          oracle-instantclient-sqlplus

or you copied sqlplus executable from other Oracle installation.
                          • 10. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                            this box has no oracle on it whatsoever except for the instant client which I grabbed from the 2 packages for (client+sqlplus).

Also, I would kindly ask prospective responders to read the the entire thread before they ask questions that're already answered. Please reply only if you think you are adding something new on top of what've been already mentioned.

Thank you all.
                            • 11. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlpl
                              this box has no oracle on it whatsoever except for
                              the instant client which I grabbed from the 2
                              packages for (client+sqlplus).

Also, I would kindly ask prospective responders to
                              read the the entire thread before they ask questions
                              that're already answered. Please reply only if you
                              think you are adding something new on top of what've
                              been already mentioned.

Thank you all.
                              You don't have Oracle on this server doesn't mean you can't copy the sqlplus executables from other server. My question is simply trying to clear out the possibilities.

Please highlight for others where did you MENTION you installed the TWO packages before this post ?

I guess I am wasting my time here trying to help. This post is all yours.
                              • 12. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlplus
                                I had this problem as well and tried a number of things until I almost jumped out a window. So, this little guy wanted to create a sp1<lang>.msb file....ok, so I let him.

Here is what the instant client install doesn't tell you to do, but I did.

1) Do all of the stuff the instant client install tells you to do. Also set your ORACLE_HOME, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and so on.
                                2) CREATE this directory <instantclientdir>/bin. Put the sqlplus binary in this directory
                                3) Go back to <instantclientdir> and do mkdir -p sqlplus/mesg
                                4) While still in <instantclientdir> do a mkdir -p network/admin. Put a tnsnames.ora in here that will allow you to connect to your databases.
                                5) Set your TNS_NAMES=<instantclient>/network/admin

This seemed to work....don't ask me why.
                                • 13. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlplus
                                  I had the same problem and got the error messages:

SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
                                  SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory

Meanwhile I found the reason for that error:

I used in a Windows command script the environment variable SQLPLUS as a shortcut to call SQLplus and so far didn't consider that SQLPLUS is a setting defined as an environment variable to specify the location of SQL*Plus message files in Windows;
                                  see http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14357/ch2.htm#SQPUG012.

When I changed the variable SQLPLUS into SQLPLUS_CMD, the error messages disappeared.

Thomas Wiedmann
                                  • 14. Re: SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME with instant client and sqlplus
                                    user6019031
                                    Had a similar problem "sp1<lang>/msb not found" after installing instantclient on AIX 6.1. Now it works, but my resolution is a little simpler than above ....

1. Unzip basic-11.2.0.1.0-aix-ppc32 and sqlplus-11.2.0.1.0-aix-ppc32 into a directory.
                                    2. pulled sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora into the same directory from another machine (Windows) where they are known to work.
                                    3. in .profile, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to my instclient directory. Also added instantclient directory to the PATH.
                                    4. set TNS_NAMES to point the same directory.
                                    5 Can now SQLPLUS from anywhere.

I also have TNS_ADMIN set to the same directory, based on a Windows install - why is it different we ask ourselves.