This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 15, 2008 4:27 PM by 569964 RSS

Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE

Teku Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Friends,

I am facing a typical issue when I have drill down charts in IE.

To mimic the scenario that I am facing in my project I have created a sample project in my workspace ntekupal with login guest/apex_demo. Run the application project Emp Dept Dashboard.

Note : Make sure you use IE to reproduce this issue

Issue Reproduction :
1) Select 'Accounting' department from the Departments bar chart by double clicking it(this is one more issue in IE which really annoys me).
2) Navigate to Employees chart and observe that the Deptno text box shows '10' with the list of employees in the bar chart for Deptno - 10.
3) Go back to previous page using breadcrumbs.
4) Select 'Research' and it would again put you back to Employees page showing employee list for Deptno - 20.
5) Now repeat step-3 and select again 'Accounting'
6) Observe that the employees shown are not for Accounting Department. It is still showing for Research but the deptno text box would show the value 10(which is correct).
7) Refresh the page then the employee bar chart would display the actual employees in Research deptmnt.

Now run the same application in Mozilla and it works perfect.

I know this could be some caching issue in IE but not sure how to fix this.
It really freaks me out and my users do not wan to use Mozilla. In my project I am using a bunch of flash charts(bar & pie).

I appreciate if I can get some of your precious inputs on this situation.

Thanks,
Raj.
  • 1. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    569964 Newbie
    I can confirm this bug.

Hmmmm, odd :)

Whenever you go to view one chart, the next chart that you view will be the previous chart.

Happens with all of them, very odd.

I assume it's a chaching issue, given all the charts have the exact same URL.

Basic deal is that all the carts refer to the same location, with no differences - but APEX generates the flash chart that's been requested. So IE is probably just assuming that, given there are no changes in the html, the chart will be the same (until you refresh).

Not sure how to fix it though...
  • 2. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    Denes Kubicek Oracle ACE Director
    Well,

this should work:

1. IE Options
    2. Browsing history
    3. Check if newer version of stored pages: Every time I visit the webpage

should be chosen in order to get that working with the flash charts. Although, I don't know
    if something like this can be "sold" to a customer.

Denes Kubicek
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://deneskubicek.blogspot.com/
    http://www.opal-consulting.de/apex/f?p=107:7
    http://htmldb.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=31517:1
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
  • 3. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    Teku Newbie
    WOW.

Thanks Denes. Your solution really made my day.
    Man I owe you a treat ;-)

Thanks once again.
    -Raj.
  • 4. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    Teku Newbie
    Denes,

Just wanted to know if I can enable this setting through my application.

Client do not want the users to do this setting because they use the browser for various other web applications and would like to do this on the fly when some one logs into this application and default it back to the original IE settings when they logout from it.

I am not sure how feasible it is do from APEX or any Java snippet(if you know of).

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Raj.
  • 5. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    560778 Newbie
    Denes,

Just wanted to know if I can enable this setting
    through my application.

Client do not want the users to do this setting
    because they use the browser for various other web
    applications and would like to do this on the fly
    when some one logs into this application and default
    it back to the original IE settings when they logout
    from it.

I am not sure how feasible it is do from APEX or any
    Java snippet(if you know of).

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Raj.
    I would be VERY afraid of an application mucking with my browser settings like that.. Just my $.02 worth.. There has to be a different way.. Since you would be straying outside the java sand box to modify ie browser settings ...

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    UTMB/EHN
  • 6. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    569964 Newbie
    Yeah, sorry Raj, I'm with Tony on this one...

a) it'd be a lot of work.

b) technically it shouldn't be possible anyway, and if it were, it'd be a huge security breach (on IE? never... ;)

But it is annoying how IE is like that (just assuming that the file is the same beccause it doesn't know any better... especially in this day and age, where many pages and files are dynamic.)
  • 7. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    482848 Newbie
    I have to, respectfully, take the opposite point of view on this topic. It is very much the applications responsibility to communicate to the browser that the page is dynamic. There are even meta tags specifically for this purpose.

That said, I concur to the true underlying concern of the above two posts that you would not want a page updating any IE global settings.

There are commonly two solutions used to solve page caching issues:

1) There are meta tags shared disparately by certain browsers to disable cacheing, set expiration dates, and similar activities. Each browser honors the settings differently, however, you can safely "stack" several versions together and there are web-sites that suggest the appropriate combination to hit the major browsers.

The tags to look for are CACHE-CONTROL, EXPIRES, REVISIT, and possibly others. Look them up under each browsers developer documentation as some variation exists in usage. The latter two are for search engines, but several of the browsers will use them in normal page hits.

That said, IE inconsistently honors these tags, even from version to version, so,

2) The end-all hack solution is to include a random value in the URL to create a unique URL on each attempt to access the page. Normally this can be achieved through a page or application item that is update on every page view and is passed on the URL line.

This solution is also commonly used because Proxy's may not honor the tag and so will continue to re-send the proxy version every time the browser requeries.

Whether this is possible in the Chart drill down I do not know as I haven't used this feature yet, but these are the two solutions you will find browsing the web against page caching.

I have invariably always had to resort to (2) to get absolutely real time data, unless I am in a corporate environment that used a standard and stable version of the browser.

Under no circumstances would I prefer to set the IE's always retrieve latest page setting, as this affects every page that IE requests.

Hope this is helpful,

Barney
  • 8. Re: Drill Down Flash Charts dont refresh in IE
    569964 Newbie
    "It is very much the applications responsibility to communicate to the browser that the page is dynamic"

+1

"you would not want a page updating any IE global settings."

+1

:)

"That said, IE inconsistently honors these tags, even from version to version, so"

That's kinda what I was thinking would happen lol

"random value in the URL"

That was my next solution - I just put a random value in the URL, by making a randomly assigned page item, and sticking the value in the url (with an obscure, unused name, like pie, or moo lol)

Good way to trick IE.