This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 17, 2008 9:29 AM by Frustrated_with_the_Display_Name RSS

Can't install Oracle_cal on linux EL5

612189 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hey everyone, I am having some trouble installing oracle cal on linux EL5. I keep getting the following error when trying to invoke the installer. Does anyone know a solution?:

./gui_install.sh
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/tmp/install.dir.11456/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
  • 1. Re: Can't install Oracle_cal on linux EL5
    Frustrated_with_the_Display_Name Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    It's probably not supported on RHEL5/Centos5/etc., but...

You can get the installer to function using the following steps:

- extract the cal_linux_*.tar.gz, and cd into the OracleCalendar_inst directory
    In there is the actual installer, cal_linux.

- the cal_linux is shell script wrapped around some binary blobs. The installer's
    problem is that Oracle is setting the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 environment
    variable, which is a mistake on RHEL5. You need to make it not set that variable,
    but you need to do so in a way that the size of the shell script does not change at all,
    and none of the binary blobs are impacted.

- the approach I took was

mv cal_linux cal_linux.BAK
    sed -e 's/LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5/LD_ASSUME_KERNEL= /g' < cal_linux.BAK > cal_linux
    chmod a+rx cal_linux
    cal_linux -i gui

Note: you must have exactly 5 spaces in the substitution part of the sed command, because you're replacing 5 characters (2.2.5), and the size of the shell script must not change.

If you do that, the installer should run (one warning from awk still) and you should be able to install the product.

Tim