Instant Client ODBC Error 126

I have set the path to the location of all binaries, this is a fresh install of Win XP. I try and run the ODBC configuration and get "The setup routines for Oracle in instantclient10-2 ODBC driver could not be loaded to system error code 126"

Any ideas?
      • 1. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
        Some Problem no idea at the moment.. start a tar
        • 2. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
          Sudheendra-Oracle
          I hope you are using the Instant Client Package downloaded from OTN
          Once you have the package unzipped, pls execute odbc_install.exe from the directory where you have the sqora32.dll to create the registry entry for driver.
          Use ODBC Administrator Tool to configure DSN and then give try running your app.
          • 3. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
            Laurenz Albe
            This is bug 4696660.
            Two DLLs are missing in the distribution: MSVCR71.DLL and MFC71.DLL
            You can take them e.g. from a full client installation.

Yours,
            Laurenz Albe
            • 4. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
              I just downloaded the 10g full client. Those files are not part of the distribution. Where else can we get those? Thanks.
              • 5. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                Laurenz Albe
                Sure they are.
                I have Full Client 10.2.0.1.0 installed, and the files are in %ORACLE_HOME%\bin.

Yours,
                Laurenz Albe
                • 6. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                  marius
                  I didn't find them in the basic instantclient. I had to copy them from windows\system32\ (windowx xp)

I wanted to use oracle instantclient 10.1 on windows98. I couldn't because the odbc_install.bat gave me errors when writing / reading from the registry.

I downloaded a few days ago instantclient 10.2, I copied the dll's into instantclient's directory, I installed mdac 2.8, and finally got ODBC to connect succesfully to ORACLE Express Edition.

I also copied TNSNAMES.ORA into c:\oracleinstantclient\ and set PATH and TNS_ADMIN in autoexec.bat (windows 98).
                  • 7. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                    Marius,
                    Windows98 is not supported by Oracle, nor by Microsoft.
                    • 8. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                      marius
                      What do you mean by Windows 98 is not supported by Oracle or Microsoft? What can't do Windows 98?

I succesfully connected to Oracle XE from Windows 98 using InstantClient 10.2 and ODBC.
                      • 9. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                        Marius,
                        While Instant Client and Oracle XE may happen to work on Windows 98, if anything goes wrong with it, there will be no fixes. This is just a cautionary note. I hope that clarifies the situation.
                        • 10. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                          Man, what lousy software and architecture...so let me get this straight...in order to load the instant client you need to load the full Oracle bloatware? Well ok, and I tried that too, still no go.
                          • 11. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                            Laurenz Albe
                            Well, then you probably "loaded" the wrong thing (whatever exactly you mean by that term).

As to "bloatware" - would you call the Instant Client shared library oraociei10.dll, which uses about 89 MB disk space in 10.2.0.3, slender? Without any desire to start a war, there are decent database systems where the server installation needs about a third of that.

Yours,
                            Laurenz Albe
                            • 12. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                              If your firewall is on, have you tried to make exceptions for ports:

1521: Oracle database listener

2030: Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server

8080: HTTP port for the Oracle Database XE graphical user interface

This solved my problem.
                              • 13. Re: Instant Client ODBC Error 126
                                And .....what is the solution !?

After copying the files mfc71.dll, msvcrt.dll and msvcr71.dll as in NOTE Subject:      Cannot Create DSN With Oracle Instant Client and ODBC Driver      Doc ID:      Note:336693.1, still instantclient Version 10.2.0.4 doesn't work and i get error 126.
                                I solve the problem just by installing Version 10.1.0.5 of instantclient.
                                Do someone at Oracle really test the software?
                                Best regards
                                Adrian