This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2008 1:20 PM by 621023 RSS

oci.dll not found when installing 11g client and using PL/SQL

621023 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are running Oracle 10.1 server. I had 10.2 client working successfully, but recently downloaded and "tried" to install the 11g client. When I launch PL/SQL, I get the error "Cannot find oci.dll" in the home directory.

My PC has the following configuration:
- Environment PATH variable points to the 11g home directory. I also have the /bin directory in the path.
- I have also given my ASPNET account full access to the directories.
- I can see the oci.dll file in the folder but for some reason I cannot get the 11g client to run.

Is anyone having a similar problem? Has anyone found a solution? I can't believe I'm the only one. Ugghhhh!
  • 1. Re: oci.dll not found when installing 11g client and using PL/SQL
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    If you are running the 10.1 server then use the 10.1 client.

I suspect the reason other people aren't having this problem is that they do things like reading the docs and following Oracle's support matrix recommendations.

What is unbelievable, to me, is that your employer is willing to pay to you spend time trying to break things. The solution is to put it back the way you found it.
  • 2. Re: oci.dll not found when installing 11g client and using PL/SQL
    621023 Newbie
    Ahhhh....There always seems to be one of you in every forum. The know-it-all troll scouring the forum trying to look smart in front of everyone.

The purpose of the forum is for someone to ask a question and get "support" on an issue, not be judged by people like you. If you don't have a supportive answer, I would strongly suggest you stop participating in the forums.

For your information the documentation for the 11g client says that it does support a 10g database.

If this gentleman hasn't discouraged anyone else from assisting, I am trying to use the 11g client to use security features made available for ASP.NET.
  • 3. Re: oci.dll not found when installing 11g client and using PL/SQL
    621023 Newbie
    On a side note Dan, I just went into your user profile and read your responses to other questions. You may want to re-evaluate your career decision; you don't seem like a real helpful person.
  • 4. Solution Found
    621023 Newbie
    There is a bug in the Oracle Installer with the following fix:

In Windows XP, after you have installed the Oracle Client Software open windows explorer.

1.) Navigate down to the Client directory and right click.
    2.) From the menu select "Sharing and Security".
    3.) Click the security tab and select the "Authenticated Users" user.
    - The "Read & Execute" checkbox will be checked.
    - Click it to uncheck it. Then click it again to check it and click okay.