This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 6, 2008 10:14 AM by 509773 RSS

Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5

509773 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi folks --

I recently migrated from FC4 to FC5 (did a fresh install), and to my chagrin, the Oracle Calendar linux client install is now broken. This was running fine under both FC4 and RHEL 4. Here is the error I receive on any of the installs (silent/text/graphical):

---------
[root@pcalarco OracleCalendar_inst]# sh silent_install.sh
Preparing to install...
Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
Unpacking the JRE...
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/ls: error while loading shared libraries: librt.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
dirname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
basename: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
hostname: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Launching installer...

grep: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/tmp/install.dir.23852/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: error while loading shared libraries: libpthread.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
-----------

I know Fedora Core isn't officially supported, but does anyone have a solution for this? Are these just path errors for the JRE as in previous problems with Fedora?

Also, does Oracle Calendar 10 run any better in FC5?

Many thanks in advance!

- pascal

>
--------------------------------------------------
Pascal V. Calarco, MLIS
Head, Library Systems & Economics Subject Liaison
University Libraries of Notre Dame/
Michiana Academic Library Consortium
Notre Dame, IN USA 46556-5629
e-mail: pcalarco@nd.edu tel.: 574-631-3409
--------------------------------------------------
  • 1. Re: Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5
    509773 Newbie
    I did some searching, and found that this is a common problem with many applications migrating from FC4 to FC5. This problem is caused due to incompatibility of the installer's Java Run-time Environment with certain system libraries.

In order to solve this, run these commands on the {OracleCalendar_install/cal_linux_904 file:

$ cp cal_linux_904 cal_linux_904.bak

$ cat cal_linux_904.bak | sed "s/export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/#xport LD_ASSUME_KERNEL/" > cal_linux_904

$ rm cal_linux_904.bak

Now the installers work fine.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 2. Re: Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5
    514973 Newbie
    I tried what you said and I got past the errors the other guy was getting but now when trying to install Oracle Calendar client 10, I get:

Preparing to install...
    Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
    Unpacking the JRE...
    Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
    Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
    awk: cmd. line:6: warning: escape sequence `\.' treated as plain `.'

Launching installer...

Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

Stack Trace:
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /tmp/install.dir.10471/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: /tmp/install.dir.10471/Linux/resource/jre/lib/i386/libawt.so: cannot restore segment prot after reloc: Permission denied
    at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at sun.security.action.LoadLibraryAction.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraries(Unknown Source)
    at sun.awt.DebugHelper.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    at java.awt.Component.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.f(DashoA8113)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.g(DashoA8113)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a(DashoA8113)
    at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(DashoA8113)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(DashoA8113)
    at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(DashoA8113)
    This Application has Unexpectedly Quit: Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

I using FC5 with kernel 2.6.16-1.2111_FC5smp and JRE version 1.5.0_06-b05. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • 3. Re: Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5
    509773 Newbie
    Hi Jim --

Do you have your Java location added to your PATH? Try:

echo $PATH

to see if it is there, then, if not:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/..../bin sh silent_install.sh

where you complete the path to where your JRE is installed. This has seemed to fix the problem for several other applications under FC5.

- pascal
  • 4. Re: Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5
    514973 Newbie
    Here is what is in my path:

[root@P624595-VM1 OracleCalendar_inst]# echo $PATH
    /opt/jre1.5.0_06/bin:/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/opt/jre1.5.0_06/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin

It appears that it is in path, unless that's not it.

Thanks
  • 5. Re: Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5
    509773 Newbie
    The only other thing I can think of is perhaps whether SELinux is getting in the way. I have my workstation set at permissive.

My /etc/selinux/config:

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
    # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
    # enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
    # permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
    # disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
    SELINUX=permissive
    # SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
    # targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
    # strict - Full SELinux protection.
    SELINUXTYPE=targeted

# SETLOCALDEFS= Check local definition changes
    SETLOCALDEFS=0

You could try setting SELinux to permissive or disabled, reboot, and then try installing again. Beyond this, I can only suggest trying a reinstall with JRE 1.5 update 7. I'm not a java person, so debugging this is a bit beyond me. Please post your solution if you do get this one figured out.

Thanks and best,

- pascal
  • 6. Re: Oracle Linux Calendar 9.0.4.2/10 and Fedora Core 5
    509773 Newbie
    I finally found how to fix this, now in Fedora 7.

Beyond the export steps above, also add the following package:

libXP

Now I can install the Motif version of the Oracle Calendar client 9.0.4

- pascal