7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2011 5:01 AM by drbiloukos RSS

Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration

Hi at all,

I have a question about the installation of the agent on the RAC configuration. Where must I install the Audit vault agent, on all RAC nodes or is there a properly configuration?

Thanks

Vincenzo
        • 1. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
          damorgan
          By default when you install the agent on any single node the installation recognizes that it is a cluster and presents you with a list of available nodes from which to select.

With a RAC cluster you have one database and multiple instances. All instances will write to one, and only one AUD$ and FGA_LOG$ table so if you are using database auditing one node will suffice. Which node that is though depends on knowing which node is up at any one time so you could potentially choose a node that is dropped from the cluster or is down for patching and maintenance while the cluster is still running. With respect to REDO collection each node has its own redo thread so you definitely need to be collecting from every node.

Audit Vault has not been out long enough that I can tell you from experience what might be defined as "best practice" and often what we really need to study is "worst practice" to know what not to do. But in the case of RAC my instinct would be to first determine the collection type(s) and then decide. Erring on the side of collecting from all nodes makes a lot of sense.
          • 2. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
            Thanks for your reply, anyway I have a last question, Is audit vault certified with RAC source?

Regards

Vincenzo
            • 3. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
              damorgan
              Yes.

The installation docs specifically discuss RAC cluster installation and, as I mentioned, the installer was designed to recognize clusters.
              • 4. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
                Please refer to the following link
                http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/audit-vault/pdf/twp_auditvault_bestpractices_200711.pdf
                • 5. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
                  Denis2
                  Hi,
                  i have installed AV agent on RAC DB, but it didn't offer me to installation on other nodes. Are you try this, and worked for you ? Are there any extra steps before installing agent on RAC DB ?

In the case of installation on one node, i assume that it does not read all audit data: it can't read from alert and redo files (OSAUD and REDO collectors) on other nodes, is this right assumption?

Thank you
                  Denis
                  • 6. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
                    damorgan
                    Go to Morgan's Library at www.psoug.org
                    Click on Audit Vault
                    Scroll to page bottom

If you didn't see these screens my guess is that you may have some issues with that RAC cluster of which you are not already aware.

What version is it (3+ decimal places)?
                    • 7. Re: Installation audit vault agent with RAC configuration
                      drbiloukos
                      Anybody found any instruction about Agent RAC installation?
                      Cannot find enough resources on the web.

Just found this:
                      Audit Vault Collection Agent Configuration for RAC Database - Step by Step Guide [ID 788381.1]

:-)

Edited by: drbiloukos on 12 Ιουλ 2011 1:01 μμ