This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 12 Previous Next 173 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2008 1:00 AM by Aman.... Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    I totally agree with you !!
    Hey, it's a start. . . . I've got you figured-out, dude, you just like to argue!

OCP has always been a flawed initiative.
    Yup, and it's because they don't count work experience, IMHO. I like the idea of being vendor certified, but I agree, the OCP is a joke. I've met OCP's who couldn't scratch their own rump with both hands . . . .

The original Chauncey one was the best, IMHO, because it required proof that you had at least 3 years of full-time DBA experience. I had to get notarized letters from my bosses for it. The lack of experience problem is critical for Oracle hiring managers who wish that Oracle certification would return to the criteria used back in Oracle7, where a Oracle certification candidate was required to get an affidavit certifying that they possessed several years of verifiable full-time DBA experience.

SearchOracle sez that the OCP is losing popularity:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/2005_8_11_ocp_losing_popularity.htm

BTW, have you seen the Microsoft MCDBA certification? I call it McDBA:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/2004_3_26_rittman.htm

BTW, I got this e-mail today:

"Who is Richard Foote? I noticed that Richard Foote has received a ton of interest in his index presentations. He seems to get the most votes right now next to Arup! I have never heard of this guy before. Is he an Oracle genius? I wonder if his index theories are tested and accurate?"

Also, sorry to hear that your "celebrity series" (London)was cancelled . . . .

Message was edited by:
    burleson
  • 16. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    311441 Employee ACE
    Hi Don
    I totally agree with you !!
    Hey, it's a start. . . . I've got you figured-out,
    dude, you just like to argue!
    I only argue with people who are wrong ;)

>
    BTW, I got this e-mail today:

"Who is Richard Foote? I noticed that Richard Foote
    has received a ton of interest in his index
    presentations. He seems to get the most votes right
    now next to Arup! I have never heard of this guy
    before. Is he an Oracle genius? I wonder if his
    index theories are tested and accurate? He sure
    sounds like those "Oak Table" people who are are
    elitist snobs."
    Hey, that's really impressive. They picked up the fact I'm just an "Oak Table elitist snob" all from just one little presentation description. I hope you told him that indeed I'm an Oracle genius ;)

>
    Also, sorry to hear that your "celebrity series" was
    cancelled . . . .
    Not quite. Some of the dates from the Spring series have been cancelled or moved to the Autumn series in November. However the events in both Sweden and The Netherlands are confirmed to proceed as initially planned (with the seminar in Sweden now listed as full).

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/show_desc.redirect?dc=D16314_993659&p_org_id=40&lang=S&source_call=

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/show_desc.redirect?dc=D16314_993659&p_org_id=41&lang=NL&source_call=

Thanks for the plug ;)

Cheers

Richard Foote
    http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/
  • 17. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Madrid,
    OCP candidate may take whatever course from the suite, any course from the 11g catalog.
    Yes it was always there and sadly its true too that a person can even take a sql course and he is elgible to get an OCP credential.But still I have not seen many, I can't even recall one or two who have attended sql course just for getting certificate.I see people eitheropting for Workshop1 or Workshop2 courses which are for DBA only. I even have seen many people coming and attending these two workshops after writing exams for two reasons,one for getting certificate and second to brush up the skills with the ILT training.
    I understand and agree with Richard and Don that oracle is pushing people to attend courses for revenue purposes. Well as I mentioned before,Oracle is a business company and for sure, they will and need to think about revenue.That's why I want OCP to be a part of OCm practicumLet the person do the course from where ever he/she wants but for the credentials,he has to write a practical exam.I am not sure about the experience certificate and all that stuff.There are alot of malpractises everywhere to make fake experience certificates.Again the same thing will happen,who will verify those certificates?Surely I agree there are lots of people who devalue OCP but there are many who put lots of effort and work hard before writing an exam and its not very tough to seggregate tehm from "paper OCPs".
    Regards
    Aman....
  • 18. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    Hi Richard,
    I only argue with people who are wrong ;)
    If you say so. . . . .

You argue with people who think are wrong, and you seem to discount the fact that others have experiences which differ from yours. Once you stop dissing people who's experience is different than yours, you may start learning.

Me, I keep an open-mind and listen to everyone . . . .
    They picked up the fact I'm just an "Oak Table elitist snob"
    Good or bad, right or wrong, that's how lots of people see it . . . .
    I hope you told him that indeed I'm an Oracle genius
    I treated you with the same respect that you have given me . . . . .
    the events in both Sweden and The Netherlands are confirmed to proceed as initially planned
    That should be great fun! I love that area . . . .
    Thanks for the plug ;)
    No problem. If you send me a link to complete details, I'll mention it in my newsletter. I have 23k subscribers, with over 5k in Europe, so maybe I can help you out. . . .
  • 19. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    Hi Aman,
    That's why I want OCP to be a part of OCm practicum
    If I was uncle Larry, I would trash the OCP and start anew, like when the replaced the Certified Oracle Masters (COM) with the Oracle Certified Master (OCM).

They could call it something new, maybe "Professional Oracle Official", and they could call it "POO". . . . .

To get a POO certificate, it would require the test, plus:

- A notarized affadvit certifying 5 years of full-time work experience

or

- The two day OCM practicum

That way, it would have real meaning when someone says "I'm a POO" . . . .
  • 20. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    639828 Newbie
    i am new to oracle and went to attend dba course at oracle university and the manuals i 've received does not contain too much information for the exam and the way the course is setup ,oracle must find a way to resolve this problem.
  • 21. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Hi Don,

when someone says "I'm a POO" . .

ROTFL
    Ok I agree with the rest of the part but if you would really change the name,please don't choose POO :-).
    Regards
    Cheers
    Aman....
  • 22. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    I didnt get you.You are saying that you want to attend and than also you are saying that you have received some manuals.Have you attended the course already or not?If you have than thereis a feedback form which is online,there is a facility to give feedback about the book and the suggestions also that what you really want to getimproved in the book.Did you do that?
    I am not able to understand the comment that book doesn't contain the information about the exam.Every courseware book is completely and I say it again, completely mapped to the exam contents.Can you show me the mismatch between the exam contents nd the book?
    Aman....
  • 23. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Hi,
    You said,'

the way the course is setup ,oracle must find a way to resolve this problem.

Where did you go to attend the course and what do you mean by the "te way the course is set up"?
    Aman....
  • 24. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Madrid Oracle ACE
    Aman you don't need to double post to the same user, just use the EDIT icon to add content to the same posting. ;)

~ Madrid

http://hrivera99.blogspot.com/
  • 25. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Madrid,
    I am sorry for it. I just read that line when I posted my reply so just wrote back again :-). I shall take care in future for this.
    Regards
    Aman....
  • 26. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    311441 Employee ACE
    They picked up the fact I'm just an "Oak Table
    elitist snob"

Good or bad, right or wrong, that's how lots of
    people see it . . . .
    Hi Don

I think you misunderstand my point.

It's really impressive how the person who sent you that "email" didn't know who I was, never heard of me and yet was able to work out I'm an Oak Table member all from just a brief description of a proposed presentation.

They must be super cautious as well as they're questioning my "index theories" even though I don't really mention any ?

You gotta give the person credit for working all that out from what must been just another anonymous presentation proposal ...

Do you know if the emailer also worked out my star sign and favourite colour from the presentation description as well ?

LOL !!

Cheers ;)

Richard Foote
  • 27. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    was able to work out I'm an Oak Table member all from just a brief description of a proposed presentation.
    Oh brother . . . . Any 5th grader could Google you, it's right there . . . .

http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22richard+foote%22+oracle

BTW, I was kind. I left out the insulting stuff from his e-mail . . .
  • 28. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Jonathan Lewis Oracle ACE Director
    >
    BTW, I was kind. I left out the insulting stuff from
    his e-mail . . .
    Interesting comparison: when I get sent mail that has something unpleasant to say about you, I don't publish it, or try to advertise it, I just bin it.

Jonathan Lewis
    http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
    http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
  • 29. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    311441 Employee ACE
    Hi Don

LOL, this is so funny, thank-you, and thank-you for protecting me from all the insults.

BTW, I've almost finished my Oracle Indexing book, (on the last chapter, plus a bit of tidying up) that's full of these indexing theories of mine. I guess you're no longer interesting in publishing such a book ? If so, never mind ...

Cheers

Richard Foote
1 2 3 4 12 Previous Next