This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 12 Previous Next 173 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2008 1:00 AM by Aman.... Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    311441 Employee ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    >>
    BTW, I was kind. I left out the insulting stuff
    from
    his e-mail . . .
    Interesting comparison: when I get sent mail that has
    something unpleasant to say about you, I don't
    publish it, or try to advertise it, I just bin it.
    Hi Jonathan

Likewise ...

Cheers

Richard Foote
    http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/
  • 31. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    608334 Newbie
    I am totally agree with Don.
  • 32. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    Hi Richard,
    LOL, this is so funny
    It's true, I did not change a word . . . .
    I guess you're no longer interesting in publishing such a book ?
    I'm ALWAYS interested in helping to share a good book, even from you! . . . .

Have you had it tech edited yet?

See here for details. I pay 15% royalties (one-third more than Oracle Press), but I'm VERY choosey about great content, and you would have be able to take constructive criticism from several tech editors (usually ACE's) . . . .

http://www.rampant-books.com/mgt_proposal_submissions.htm

If you are serious, please call Robin Rademacher at 800-766-1884. She is a retired Nuclear Engineer, and she runs rampant . . .
  • 33. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    when I get sent mail that has something unpleasant to say about you, I don't publish it,
    Uh Huh, right . . . . I've seen forwarded e-mails from you . . . .

The note was not critical of Foote at all (just his "club"), and he needs to know what people are saying, if he wants to become well-known. . . .
  • 34. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    I'd wager APress is. <g>
  • 35. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    I'd wager APress is.
    How much? They have cut way-back on Oracle titles . . . .

I'll bet that an unknown, first-time author, with an ancient topic would not interest them. . . . . A book on index internals is almost guaranteed to loose money, and he needs to find a publisher who is not profit driven.

Besides, Foote should approach all the publishers, and choose the one that's best for him . . . . .
  • 36. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    damorgan Oracle ACE Director
    Richard Foote, an Oak Table member, an "unknown, first-time author?"

About as "unknown" as Tom Kyte and Jonathan Lewis. Likely he will find their publisher to his liking too. <g>
  • 37. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    639907 Oracle ACE Director
    Hi,

I want to let everyone know that this is not true. I'm a Oracle OCP.OCE. I give internal training to several DBAs, and when asked by Oracle about the "hands on course requirement" they told Oracle that the course (in this case Oracle 10g DBA I, II, and Tuning) was given by a Oracle Certified professional, and Oracle accepted it. I had more than 15 DBA at Sonda Chile certified at OCA, and 6 OCP,OCE.

Regards,

Francisco Munoz Alvarez
  • 38. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    So you mean to say that Oracle corp accepted this fact that just because the training was given by an OCP,it fulfills the HOC?PLease confirm me that the uys have receieved their OCP success kits in case they have written and passed all the exams.If they have than I guess its time to update Oracle.
    Aman....
  • 39. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    639907 Oracle ACE Director
    Dear Aman,

All my guys received their OCP Kit with no problems.

Regards,

Francisco Alvarez
    www.oracleenespanol.com
    www.cloug.org
  • 40. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Francisco,
    Cool!Well that's new for me.I shall this myself too.Thanks for the information and congrats to you as a trainer and to your guys for achieving OCP.
    Cheers
    Aman....
  • 41. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    Hi Francisco,
    when asked by Oracle about the "hands on course requirement" they told Oracle that the course (in this case Oracle 10g DBA I, II, and Tuning) was given by a Oracle Certified professional, and Oracle accepted it.
    Wow!

It must be different in the USA.

http://www.oracle.com/global/be/education/certification/dba10g_onecoursereq.html

"Candidates must attend their approved course through one of these providers:

Oracle University Training Center, Oracle Authorized Education Center or Oracle Authorized Partner
    Oracle Academic Initiative
    Oracle Internet Academy
    Oracle Workforce Development Program "

The bottom line is that Oracle University instructors often have VERY LITTLE real-world experience, and most cannot answer any questions that are not on the slides.
  • 42. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    Richard Foote, an Oak Table member, an "unknown, first-time author?"
    Yup. Most practicing Oracle profesisonals have never heard of "Oak table", or Richard Foote. Just look at the disappointing sales of their "Tales" book, major flop:

http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Insights-Tales-Oak-Table/dp/1590593871

Foote has not published anywhere in B&M magazines, not even Oracle Magazine or OTN. I had to publish dozens of articles (in Computerworld, Software Magazine, Oracle Magazine, OTJ, etc.) before I was approached by a publisher . . . .

The Oracle book market is more competitive than ever, check it out:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/2006_04_19_bestselling_oracle_authors.htm
    I'd wager
    OK . . .

I'll bet you $1,000.00 cash that Foote cannot get a book on Oracle Index Internals printed by an existing Oracle publisher and into the general bookstore distribution from one year from today, May 19th, 2008.

Put your money where your mouth is . . . .

Are you "in"?
  • 43. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    311441 Employee ACE
    Hi Don

Boy, you had to write all those articles before you were approached by a publisher and yet I haven't agreed to write articles for any of those publications but still I get approached to write a book on "any ideas of my own" by a book publisher regardless.

How lucky am I !!

The name of the publisher?

Rampart :)

Remember ....

With comments such as "ancient topic", "guaranteed to lose money" and "cannot get a book on Oracle Index Internals printed", I think I have indeed found my perfect publisher !!

Where do I sign ?

Cheers ;)

Richard Foote
    http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/
  • 44. Re: Hands On Course Requirement
    108476 Journeyer
    I get approached to write a book on "any ideas of my own" by a book publisher regardless.
    You were "approached", nothing more!

I "approach" many promising writers . . . .

Few have the Moxy to actually follow-through and write a good book . . .
    "ancient topic"
    B-Tree indexing internals have not changed since Oracle7, for backward compatibility. A b-tree index internals article from 1997 is still valid in 11g . . . .
    "guaranteed to lose money"
    Yup. Break-even for most publishers is 6k-8k copies sold. Mine is way less because I have greater push-through. The major bookstores have stocked dozens of Rampant books on my word alone, and they have never been disappointed . . . .
    "cannot get a book on Oracle Index Internals printed"
    I follow the computer book market closely. I have a subscription to Bookscan, a POS database that allows me to see actual sales, by store, by day. I know what Oracle profesisonals are buying, and what gets returned.
    "cannot get a book on Oracle Index Internals printed"
    People don't want a book on index internals, per se, they want a book on "Optimizing Oracle Indexes", a useful book that answers important questions:

- When do I use bitmap indexes?
    - How many distinct values is too many for a bitmap index?
    - How do I tell when an index will benefit from rebuilding?
    - How do I find un-used indexes?
    - How to I remove redundant multi-column indexes
    - &c, &c . . .
    Where do I sign ?
    Send your book to Oracle Press and O'Reilly.

I guarantee that they will waste no time reading it. . .
1 2 3 4 5 12 Previous Next