1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 71 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2013 1:30 PM by Karan Kukreja Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
        SomeoneElse
        Hard work, patience, endurance, motivation, and success will be a consequence of that.
        I don't know...just a few days ago I got a mysterious email from someone promising I could make money fast. I'm not sure of all the details yet, but it sounds like a sweet deal.
        • 46. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
          Eduardo Legatti
          Hi,

>>Can anyone tell me whether it is too late for a switch-over?
          Well, it never is late to change your job role ...

Cheers
          • 47. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
            Eduardo Legatti
            Hi,

>>I could make money fast. I'm not sure of all the details yet
            Feedback ... :-)

Cheers
            • 48. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
              But date of retirement should be at least 2 weeks later.

Werner
              • 49. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                Millions from Nigeria? Yeahhh, I've missed quite a bunch opportunities to become a millionaire...

Gints Plivna
                http://www.gplivna.eu
                • 50. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                  I don't know...just a few days ago I got a mysterious email from someone promising I could make money fast.
                  There also it has this?
                  • 51. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                    I've missed quite a bunch opportunities to become a millionaire...
                    Too bad. But Nigerian scams can be fun, too.

Did you see this case where a scam-baiter made the scammers recreate a Monty Python sketch?

http://dba-oracle.blogspot.com/2007/03/best-web-scam-baiter-ever.html
                    • 52. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                      I am in last year of Computer Programmer Analyst program... have big interest in databases. Thought having Orcale certification would boost my career. But once i was on few job sites.. I searched for DBA positions and didnt find many. Moreover all the jobs that were listed there asked for atleast couple of years of experience. So from where would the freshers start? ... well here are my questions..

1) - Is it worth to be a DBA as compared to other jobs like netwrking or programming?
                      2) - From where would Freshers or people with no experience start?
                      3) - How much can we earn with 0-2 years experience?
                      4) - How to find jobs that ask for people wich 0-2 years experience.

These are some questions that I can think of at the moment. Sorry again in acse its a wrong forum. I would welcome any kind of help in regarding this post of mine. It would help me make a career for myself.

Thanks
                      • 53. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                        Most of this is covered in the previous posts in this thread. Did you read them?
                        • 54. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                          My dear friend:

Being DBA is wonderful but it takes years to become a good one, I started without any experience, I was programmer and analyst, my beginning was hard, I had a lot of problems, but with patience and endurance, and my good boss, who as very hard instructor for me, I could also have a price in Bancomer, for me it was the starting point, even when I was 10 year old talking about IT. I loved her, but it is all up to you, don't you look for money, look for a job that you can enjoy such that game that made you smile a lot when you were a child.

Pao.
                          • 55. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                            money wise for next 10 years - definately worth :-)

Paul G. Matuszyk
                            • 56. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                              Toni Lazarin
                              Ok.
                              And what do You all say about the Oracle DBA future ?
                              I mean how will our job evaluate in next 20 years ?
                              According to Don Burleson, and even if we try to look through some logic and facts,
                              it seems that many DBA tasks will become automated by consolidation, centralization, lower hardware costs and
                              functionalitys that will come with new Oracle RDBMS releases .....
                              So,is there place for worrying about keeping our job in the comming years ?

Toni
                              • 57. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                hello all,

i currently employed as healthcare analyst in a EDI based company but i am interested in Oracle DBA
                                will it be a good move (switching from analyst to DBA)
                                Please advise
                                • 58. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                  Like every craft; being a DBA is not a learn it once and master it. Being an DBA is always learning. Personally I think that knowing your fundamentals and having a solid understanding of the basic is very important. Getting the RIGHT experience and taking advantage of learning something new at each assignment is important also.

I started by reading the Concepts Manual and all the manuals related to being a DBA.
                                  Yes the documentation suck and the reading is boring. But, it is the source and regardless of how it written you should know it.

Now a days there are those GUI DBAs around. The one I give most respect to though and the ones that make the most money are the HARDCORE DBAs who can do it without a GUI.

My advice . . . RTFM and learn your fundamentals at the same time practice, practice, practice. Get a certification if you think its worth it. I do certification to prove to myself I know it.

Good luck.
                                  • 59. Re: Is it Worth to be DBA?
                                    Is it worth to be a DBA as compared to other jobs like netwrking or programming?
                                    Well, the DBA job is predicted to outpace all other IT jobs through 2014:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/oracle_news/news_dba_jobs_outpace_it_employment.htm

See my notes here on how to become an Oracle DBA:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_how_to_become_an_oracle_dba.htm