This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2008 11:14 AM by 651183 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    164043 Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    May someone help me?
    Yes, of course! Call Oracle Consulting Services and they'll gladly help you out.
  • 16. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    164043 Explorer
    Hi Mgogola,

With due respect, i want to advise u dat this sarcasm
    won't lead u anywhere.....
    Where should it lead? Your place or mine?
  • 17. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    119642 Explorer
    Your correct you can't have two objects of the same name in one schema. You would have to rename the table and drop any indexes, pkeys against it. Then you would be able to import.......

Kind regards Bill
  • 18. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    user576522 Newbie
    Yes, of course! Call Oracle Consulting Services and they'll gladly help you out.
    pls do not be so cruel to a oracle-newer.
  • 19. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    629537 Newbie
    I'll avoid argument....

I jus want u to be humble in ur approach.....

Dat's it....
  • 20. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    164043 Explorer
    Yes, of course! Call Oracle Consulting Services and
    they'll gladly help you out.

pls do not be so cruel to a oracle-newer.
    Actually, I am not at all cruel. He obviously doesn't have enough knowledge to do it right. Export and import can be quite complex and have rather non-trivial ramifications. I wouldn't try servicing an airplane, based on the forum instructions. I am unwilling to take the moral responsibility if something goes wrong, based on my instructions. Oracle Consulting has quite a few of qualified consultants that can help him out. Being a consultant myself, I am not going to delve into the problem and spend significant amount of time for free. That's what the consultants are for: if you don't know how to do it yourself, hire a pro. The OT has a plumbing problem and is trying to fix the problem by himself. I don't want to be responsible for the flood that might happen as a consequence. Based on the quality of advice the OT is given, original advice about hiring a cnsultant still stands. And one more thing:
    Please, don't be so self-righteous and step down from that soap box. If you want to reproach me for my tone, please introduce yourself first. I take an exception when anonymous people without any established credentials take the role of moral crusaders upon their shoulders. Also, adjust your attitude. Online forums are not replacement for personal effort. Consultants are. If you think that I am cruel, beat me and give him the needed advice yourself. I'll sit back and watch. Go ahead, make my day.
  • 21. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    164043 Explorer
    I'll avoid argument....

Dat's it....
    And what gives you right to "want me" anything?
  • 22. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    629537 Newbie
    Hi Mgogala,

I don't want any sort of help or answer from u and neither will i reply to u...

So, Please don't bother and relax...

With regards,

Nick.
  • 23. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    164043 Explorer
    Hi Mgogala,

I don't want any sort of help or answer from u and
    neither will i reply to u...

So, Please don't bother and relax...

With regards,

Nick.
  • 24. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    603908 Newbie
    you may wan to truncate the table before doing import and then use IGNORE=Y in the imp statement to ignore the error related to already existing table.Otherwize drop the table before imp.

I hope this helps.
  • 25. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    Justin Cave Oracle ACE
    But if the extent size information is inappropriate (almost certain since the table originally had 1.1 million extents), merely truncating the table or dropping and re-importing it is going to leave the inappropriate extent sizing information in place, which is going to cause the drop/ truncate/ import operations to run slowly since they're spending all their time waiting on latches in order to be able to allocate or deallocate extents.

Justin
  • 26. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    amardeep.sidhu Pro
    @everybody: Sorry for going off-topic...

@Justin

Have you closed the forum on your askDDBC website ? Today i was having a look and there were a lot of spam messeges :(

Amardeep Sidhu
  • 27. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    629537 Newbie
    Hi Justin,

The reason we are doing this import is as follows:-

Before truncating the table, the data which was in the table was obsolete. The data now being imported is the data from the Production database.

I now know that the plan was not proper and we should have imported the data into a pre-created table with proper extent sizing and in a Locally Managed Tablespace.

Now, so far 31000 extents have been allocated. The import has been running for approx 48 hrs.....

>>>>>>>>>

But if the extent size information is inappropriate (almost certain since the table originally had 1.1 million extents), merely truncating the table or dropping and re-importing it is going to leave the inappropriate extent sizing information in place, which is going to cause the drop/ truncate/ import operations to run slowly since they're spending all their time waiting on latches in order to be able to allocate or deallocate extents.

<<<<<<<<<

Can u please explain, the funda of Latches??? I dint get ur point Justin...
  • 28. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    amardeep.sidhu Pro
    He meant to say that as you are using dictionary managed tablespaces so the extent information is being queried from data dictionary. So that would cause contention on those (data dictionary) tables and it would take time for allocation/de-allocation of extents (as everytime data dictionary would have to be updated).

This won't have been the case if you had imported into locally managed tablespaces as the extent management is done locally at the tablespace level.

Amardeep Sidhu
  • 29. Re: Import running Very Slow!!!
    629537 Newbie
    Thanks Amardeep,

Could be more clear on "latches" wat Justin quoted???

Any suggestions from ur side that wud make this import faster....

We have SAP running here at the front-end and we have stopped the SAP also so that other users may not be able to use that particular table.

Today, in the morning also we killed a session which was conflicting with our session.

Suggestions are invited.

Regards,
    Nick.