13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2008 6:46 PM by 583611 RSS

HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization

Hi..

I have a HP DL380 G3, 2 x Xeon 2.8 Ghz, 4 GB Memory. Installing Oracle VM goes well. When server starts up, it shows the message: " Hypervisor runs in 32 bit mode with NO Hardware Virtualization Support"

As a result, I cannot import my ISO files, as it does not show my server pool in the selection list.

Any idea how to enable Harware virtualization option on HP DL380 G3?

Please advise!!

Ashkan.
        • 1. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
          - Have you enabled hardware virtualization in the computers BIOS?
          - Is the installed Linux-version showing 64-bit (check with "uname -a", should show "x86_64" in the output somewhere)?
          • 2. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
            Hi,

There is no option in the BIOS setup, which is a bit strange to me. Do you have the same servers. Perhaps you know, where the option is.

Ashkan.
            • 3. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
              - I'm nearly certain that the G3 does NOT support hardware virtualization
              - again, I'm nearly certain that hardware virtualization is not available until the G5 series
              • 4. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                HP DL380 G3 does not support Hardware virtualization.. You can only use PVM...

Regards,
                Puneet
                • 5. HP DL160 G5, same issue..... WAS: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                  I have a fairly new Hewlett Packard 1U rack server, a DL160 G5, with an Intel 5400 chipset. There is not a "Virtualization" section in the system BIOS setup screens. OVS 2.1.1. says this:
                  ========
                  Oracle VM server release 2.1.1
                  Hypervisor running in 64 bit mode with NO Hardware Virtualization support.

CPU :
                  cpu family     : 6
                  model          : 23
                  model name     : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5462 @ 2.80GHz
                  WARNING: YOUR CPU(S) SUPPORT HARDWARE VIRTUALIZATION BUT YOUR SYSTEM DOES NOT.
                  ENABLE VIRTUALIZATION IN YOUR BIOS OR CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM VENDOR.
                  ===========

Any ideas on this one?
                  • 6. Re: HP DL160 G5, same issue..... WAS: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                    I think it needs INTEL-V chipset to work....
                    • 7. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                      Have you tried importing the para-virtualised template instead ??

John
                      • 8. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                        Vinay Manikyam
                        Hi,

I have Installed Oracle VM Server on: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

Oracle VM server release 2.1.1
                        Hypervisor running in 64 bit mode with NO Hardware Virtualization support.

CPU Family : 15
                        Model : 4
                        Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz.
                        ------------------------------------------------------

Because of this iam not able to import any ISO Files.
                        Please suggest how to enable Hardware Virtualization in my VM server host.

Note:

when i check with the command "uname -a", the output is:

"Linux localhost.localdomain is 2.6.18-8.1.15.0.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Mar 5 13:03:41 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux "

Please advice

Thanks in advance,

Vinay.
                        • 9. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                          The HVM is only possible, whenyou have Intel-V chipset or AMD V chip set.

The G3 does not have neither, so only PVM are possible.

Ashkan.
                          • 10. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                            Use PVM templates as indicated by other posts and also check out these links

Re: Can't find ISO files

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/ovm/ovmel5pvmdb11gr1/ovmel5pvmdb11gr1.htm

ta

Pay speciifc attention to directory structure on your VM server under the iso_pool/running_pool/seed_pool depending on what you are trying to import or use
                            • 11. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                              AFAIK, HVM(Hardware Virtualization) is available from the DL G5 series.

You need to check whether your maching support HVM or not.

If you are using Intel CPU, then
                              $ grep vmx /proc/cpuinfo

or AMD CPU, then
                              $ grep svm /proc/cpuinfo

And you can check the hypervisor capabilities via below command.
                              $ xm info | grep xen_caps
                              xen_caps : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32 hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64

Thanks,
                              • 12. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                                Vinay Manikyam
                                Hi fak1975,

Tried Installing and Configuring "Oracle Enterprise Linux 4" as PVM as per the doc:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/obe/ovm/ovmel5pvmdb11gr1/ovmel5pvmdb11gr1.htm

when I ran the install command:

# virt-install

It asks for all the configuration details, like virtual machine name, RAM, Disk path , Disk size etc..

Pressed "Enter" after providing all these config details:

Getting following errors:
                                =========================================================
                                Starting install...
                                Traceback (most recent call last):
                                File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 497, in ?
                                main()
                                File "/usr/sbin/virt-install", line 461, in main
                                dom = guest.start_install(conscb)
                                File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/ParaVirtGuest.py", line 221, in start_install
                                (self.kernel, self.initrd) = self._get_paravirt_install_images()
                                File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/virtinst/ParaVirtGuest.py", line 97, in getparavirt_install_images
                                nfsmntdir = tempfile.mkdtemp(prefix="xennfs.", dir="/var/lib/xen")
                                File "/usr/lib/python2.4/tempfile.py", line 328, in mkdtemp
                                _os.mkdir(file, 0700)
                                OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device: '/var/lib/xen/xennfs.OEtz1N'
                                [root@localhost ~]#
                                =========================================================

With ref to last error: I checked the disk size by ruuning the command:

# df -h

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                                /dev/hda2 3.0G 3.0G 0 100% /
                                /dev/hda3 145G 27G 119G 19% /OVS
                                /dev/hda1 99M 24M 70M 26% /boot
                                tmpfs 272M 0 272M 0% /dev/shm
                                /OVS/iso_pool/Enterprise-R4-U5-x86_64-disc3.iso
                                638M 638M 0 100% /media/iso

As per the above details it is confirmed that ther is no space at all in "/dev/hda2". But there is enough space in "/dev/hda3" --> 119 GB. I guess because of this reason installion is is failing.

Could there be any other reason for the failure of installation?

If non availability of the space is the reason,Is it possible to incresae the space in "/dev/hda2" ?

Any Help please?

Regards,
                                Vinay.
                                • 13. Re: HP DL380 G3 and Hardware virtualization
                                  Hi
                                  Yes the issue is definately due to the root volume being 100% full. (eg tmp files)
                                  Easisest fix is to remove files within the root volume you don't need.
                                  Not sure on resizing of root filesystem
                                  you can check out resize2fs 'man resize2fs'

maybe someone else will be able to comment.
                                  Only way I can think of is mounting some of the directories that are contained under the '/' partition tha are taking up a large chunk of the 3GB to another partition.

eg you could make /tmp and /var for example another mountpoint