This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 1:59 PM by 639907 RSS

Oracle + Disc space

657368 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,
I'm completely new with oracle databases. Since I installed Oracle 9i and I've had problems with Oracle. It consumes a lot of disc space. I had 10 gb free after Oracle installation, but then Oracle took it all. When I delete some files , retrieved free space is taken by Oracle. Generally I need Oracle to be able to read already created Oracle database and fetch some data from that database to my ms sql database. Maybe some advices what version of oracle should i install ?? And why Oracle consumes so much memory.
  • 1. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    I guess you have created teh database with the pre-supplied templates like General Purpose and all that. If yes than indeed the file sizes and the memory acquired by the database will be some what larger. Though it can be controlled too to some extent but still it will create some what larger database only.
    What you can do is that you can create a Custom database using Database Configuration assistant and can allocate evrey thing depending upon your need. It won't create any "additional" tablespaces which will consume much disk space.
    Aman....
  • 2. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    If you need to connect to an exxisting database, you should install the Oracle Client software instead of the database manager. The space requirement for client is less than the database (less than 1Gb, read here).
    I had 10 gb free after Oracle installation, but then Oracle took it all
    And why Oracle consumes so much memory.
    But you seems a bit confusing between disk space and memory usage. Where is the database you are connected onto ?

Nicolas.
  • 3. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    657368 Newbie
    Maybe I mixed up sth , sorry for that. Oracle consumes a lot of disc space, when I used word "memory" I thought about disc space, sorry for that, but in my country we often use word "memory" for disc space, sorry for confusion. I took Your advice and I'm now downloading oracle client. Thank You.
  • 4. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    108476 Journeyer
    Hi,
    And why Oracle consumes so much memory.
    Oracle is the world most robust and flexible database, and the 3 gig is for the executables and utilities.

In the arena of commercial databases, a 3 gig footprint is nothing!

What's 3 gig of disk cost these days, about $20?

Hope this helps. . .

Donald K. Burleson
    Oracle Press author
    Author of "Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference":
    http://www.dba-oracle.com/bp/s_oracle_tuning_book.htm
  • 5. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    639907 Oracle ACE Director
    Hi,

After install the client version in your PC, you will need to configure the tnsnames.ora file to access your existing Oracle Databases.

Here are some links:

oregonstate.edu/dept/computing/warehouse/PDF/Manual_Install_Oracle10.pdf
    Oracle client -TNSNAMES.ora
    http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Tnsnames.ora
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/html/A95979_02/2install.htm

Also, can you please tell us your OS and DB versions you want to connect?

Regards,

Francisco Munoz Alvarez
    www.oraclenz.com
  • 6. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    657368 Newbie
    Thank You for links. My OS is Win XP Pro. I was told that I should install Oracle 9i. I'm completely new with oracle and I need to read some data from existing Oracle Database. I also got a .bat file to import the database. But I got an error

IMP-00058: ORACLE error 12154 encountered
    ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
    IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully

Maybe somebody know how to resolve it ??

Edited by: user10189172 on Aug 31, 2008 3:37 AM
  • 7. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Hi,
    Please have a look here,
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/network.920/a96580/troubles.htm#440455
    This error in generic or simple terms mean that you are trying to use a net service name while trying to connect with the server which is not registered in your local network file, tnsnames.ora.This file is in the $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin folder. You needto make sure that the service name , thingy that comes after @ symbol in your connect string , for example scott/tiger@orcl , is registeredin your tnsnames.ora and is able to go to the server.
    Can you post the contents of the import script?
    Aman....
  • 8. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Your are Welcome :) any time.

Please, like Aman already mentioned, post the .bat contents to try to help you.

Best Regards,

Francisco Munoz Alvarez
    www.oraclenz.com
  • 9. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    657368 Newbie
    My import script:

C:\oracle\ora92\bin\imp.exe usos/usos@XE file=D:\Programy\Mgr\Od PP\usos\usos_umk_anonim.dmp log=imp.log full=y
  • 10. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    usos/usos@*XE*
    So in your script , the service name is XE. Can you check back that this service is mentioned in your Oracle_home?
    Search for this file in your machine at c:\oracle\ora92\network\admin folder.
    Aman....
  • 11. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Hi,

Ok, your import is connecting to a Oracle XE (Express Edition) Database. Please take a look if you created the connection to this DB on your $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file.

if not, please create the connection following one of the examples in my previous post. If you want please, just post the information about the XE Database to help you with your tnsnames (Host IP, SID,etc), and please post you tnsnames.ora in your PC and the result of this command on the Database Server:

lsnrctl status

Regards,

Francisco Munoz Alvarez
    www.oraclenz.com
  • 12. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    657368 Newbie
    I changed tnsnames.ora file and I added :

XE =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = SKYNET)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = XE)
    )
    )

Then i didnt work. I figured out that I should add a listener. And I added to listener.ora :

LISTENER =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = skynet)(PORT = 1521))
    )

Now when I try to execute script it says:
    ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

I presume that I should run a listener service ?
  • 13. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Hi,

You don't need a listener because you are using a client installation, the listener is used by a DB to listen for new connections.

Try to change the host = skynet for host = IP example (Host = 192.123.22.1)

If this does not work, please post the listener.ora on your Database Server.

Regards,

Francisco Munoz Alvarez
    www.oraclenz.com
  • 14. Re: Oracle + Disc space
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Hi,
    ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
    Yes you need to start the listener now on the server with the command, lsnrctl start.
    Aman....
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points