9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2008 12:20 AM by 435856

chrome with apex ?

Hi,

today google has introduced a new browser: chrome.

has anyone (allready) experience , in combination with apex ?

Leo
        • 1. Re: chrome with apex ?
          I just downloaded Chrome and triied some APEX pages.
          It looks that it works fine.
          • 2. Re: chrome with apex ?
            Roel Hartman
            Fine, fine...
            I see that some layout is rendered differently than in IE and/or FF.
            In some pages the pictures aren't rendered completely. I also have a google-maps region on a page, which is rendered at all...
            It looks slick and quick, but I guess it will add more complexity for us APEX'ers to deliver applications that'll work on IE and FF and Chrome...
            • 3. Re: chrome with apex ?
              Hi

I've tested an application and the red theme looks a bit strange and I also get a dialog box asking for XDB user/password when viewing some pages in my application, although if I click cancel the page works.

Also, the object browser in APEX doesn't display code correctly. I see a red box instead of the PL/SQL code editor.

At this stage I doubt that APEX knows what Chrome is.

I would watch the forth coming APEX patches and newer Chrome builds for improved compatibility.

Regards
              Adam
              • 4. Re: chrome with apex ?
                I have the red box problem as well. For the Application development platform, I have to use IE anyway since I need to be able to copy and paste from the Object Browser window, which no other browser lets me do. I wasn't too hopeful that the feature would work in Chrome but wasn't expecting a big red box :/
                • 5. Re: chrome with apex ?
                  fac586
                  adam_ wrote:Hi

I've tested an application and the red theme looks a bit strange and I also get a dialog box asking for XDB user/password when viewing some pages in my application, although if I click cancel the page works.

Also, the object browser in APEX doesn't display code correctly. I see a red box instead of the PL/SQL code editor.
                  Welcome to Webkit. This is what you get in Safari as well.
                  At this stage I doubt that APEX knows what Chrome is.

I would watch the forth coming APEX patches and newer Chrome builds for improved compatibility.
                  I'll watch with interest. There's been no indication from Oracle on whether the red box problem is fixable in APEX , will be fixed, or if the problem lies with Safari/Webkit.

Chrome having en existing rendering engine but a different JavaScript engine will probably lead to some headaches all round.
                  • 6. Re: chrome with apex ?
                    I also get the mentioned big, solid red box in the Object Browser. But I get that red box in Safari as well, which makes sense.

From an end user point of view, applications seem to work fine so far.
                    • 7. Re: chrome with apex ?
                      Hello,

We've been playing with Chrome as well and for the most part it seems to work great. Until it's out of beta though I doubt we will put a whole lot of specific time into it.

You should also note that Chrome already has some specific security bugs already [http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1843] though I'm sure Google will have them ironed out promptly.

Carl
                      • 8. Re: chrome with apex ?
                        MartinF
                        Hi All,

FYI... I have found a new problem with Chrome.

In interactive reports if you enter something in the search box and hit return you get:

ERR-1777: Page 59 provided no page to branch to. Please report this error to your application administrator.

I tried adding a branch to bring the page back to itself which stopped the error but the search string is ignored and lost.

Using filters seems to work fine.

Regards,
                        Martin
                        • 9. Re: chrome with apex ?
                          I have found chrome to be great and fast, the Text Areas are resizable which is a godsend for editing code in little text areas.

Flash charts seem to cache though, so a page submit does not pick up the new values.

Heres hoping the compatability problems can be ironed out soon!