1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 9:08 PM by 661470 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
        ebrian
        Can you log into SQL*Plus as SYSDBA and issue startup:

C:\> sqlplus / as sysdba
        SQL> startup
        • 16. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
          ebrian,

M Borok is correct in his directions to you. Do this as well:

In your HOST file, include the FQDN on the line with the localhost IP address as well. Right now, Oracle doesn't know that it is talking to the same local machine when looking up the FQDN.

See below:

127.0.0.1 localhost dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com
          192.168.255.255 dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com dimension4100

HTH
          LLB
          • 17. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
            brusardl - in your example below, you're suggesting entering the first line in the format
            <IP> <hostname> <fulcomputername>

whereas the second line has format
            <IP> <fulcomputername> <hostname>

Is this what you meant? Does the sequence of parameters not matter?
            • 18. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
              The localhost only references itself as 127.0.0.1. The FQDN needs to also be a part of the localhost IP. I use my alias in the localhost line, and references my server in TNSNAMES and LISTENER as the alias.

e.g.

127.0.0.1 localhost <alias>
              192.168.255.255 <FQDN> <alias>

Works like a charm.
              HTH
              LLB
              1 person found this helpful
              • 19. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                1. I can now get into SQL*Plus via the command line (thanks!), but I find that I have to enter "set oracle_sid=hcm" every time I open a DOS session. Isn't there a way to make this permanent?

2. In the GUI SQL*Plus login window, what should I be entering for HOST STRING? I've been entering dimension4100, and get error

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Also, it seems to me that I should be able to enter HCM (the DB_NAME) but I just get a TNS timeout.
                • 20. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                  EdStevens
                  M_Borok wrote:
                  That helped somewhat... now I am able to start the listener. However, SQP*Plus now says:

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.

My tnsnames.ora now looks like this:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
                  # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

HCM =
                  (DESCRIPTION =
                  (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com)(PORT = 1521))
                  (CONNECT_DATA =
                  (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                  (SERVICE_NAME = HCM.dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com)
                  )
                  )
                  what do you get from

C:> lsnrctl status

That will list the services your listener is listening for. Ther SERVICE_NAME parameter in your tnsnames has to match one of those.

I'm using dimension4100 for the SQL*Plus Host String in the login window.
                  You don't have an entry for 'dimension4100' in your tnsnames - at least not that you showed us. The entry you have is 'HCM', so that is what you have to use in your connection string:

C:> sqlplus scott/tiger@hcm

From there, sqlnet will locate 'hcm' in your tnsnames file, resolve that to '(HOST = dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com)' listening on '(PORT = 1521)' for '(SERVICE_NAME = HCM.dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com)'
                  • 21. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                    EdStevens, I think your post addresses a situation I was having back on page 1 of this thread.. as I said, I changed my service name in tnsnames.ora to HCM.ora.newmiddleclass.com (which was the service returned by the "sho parameter service" command).

My outstanding questions are listed in my 1:35 PM post above - thanks.
                    • 22. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                      ebrian
                      You can add an ORACLE_SID entry into the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_OraDb10g_home and/or set it in the system's environment variables.
                      • 23. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                        1. I see where I can enter ORACLE_SID in the places ebrian just mentioned, but that would hard-code it for all databases, right? Suppose I want to have two databases (each with a unique SID) ... isn't there a place to soft-code it, similar to how tnsnames.ora points to a service name?

...and still looking for this answer:

2. In the GUI SQL*Plus login window, what should I be entering for HOST STRING? I've been entering dimension4100, and get error

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Also, it seems to me that I should be able to enter HCM (the DB_NAME) but I just get a TNS timeout.

Thanks.
                        • 24. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                          ebrian
                          For Windows unfortunately there isn't a way to set multiple SID's either in the registry or the system environment variables. You could generate .bat files that you call from a command prompt that setup your environment for each database.

As for the GUI of SQL*Plus the "Host String" in the tns alias (HCM in your case). Do you have multiple Oracle homes on your box?
                          • 25. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                            re multiple SIDs, it doesn't matter, I was just curious. One is enough for me, and setting in control panel worked nicely for the DOS command window issue I mentioned. So now
                            ORACLE_SID=HCM

However, the GUI Host String is not working as you suggested. I have two active accounts, SYS and SYSTEM, and I enter SYS and the password in the User Name and Password edit boxes. Results of various entries in the Host String edit box:

HCM
                            ORA-12170: TNS:Connect timeout occurred

dimension4100 or localhost

anything else
                            ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolvethe connect identifier specified

The three Oracle services mentioned above are all in Started status.
                            • 26. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                              ebrian
                              I would verify your host file and/or firewall. Can you actually connect with the command line version of SQL*Plus using:

sqlplus system/<password>@hcm
                              • 27. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                                my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 localhost dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com
                                192.168.255.255 dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com dimension4100

No, I can't connect with sqlplus system/<pw>@hcm

ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolvethe connect identifier specified

I can connect via sqlplus / as sysdba

I have no firewall.
                                • 28. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                                  ebrian
                                  At this point, it's going to really help to see your tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora & output of lsnrctl services.
                                  • 29. Re: Could not start the TNSListener service on Local Computer
                                    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

HCM =
                                    (DESCRIPTION =
                                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dimension4100.ora.newmiddleclass.com)(PORT = 1521))
                                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                                    (SERVICE_NAME = HCM.ora.newmiddleclass.com)
                                    )
                                    )

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
                                    (DESCRIPTION =
                                    (ADDRESS_LIST =
                                    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
                                    )
                                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                                    (SID = PLSExtProc)
                                    (PRESENTATION = RO)
                                    )
                                    )

# sqlnet.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

# This file is actually generated by netca. But if customers choose to
                                    # install "Software Only", this file wont exist and without the native
                                    # authentication, they will not be able to connect to the database on NT.

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)

Result of lsnrctl services:

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-SEP-2008 23:13:30

Copyright (c) 1991, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
                                    Services Summary...
                                    Service "PLSExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                                    Instance "PLSExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                                    Handler(s):
                                    "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0
                                    LOCAL SERVER
                                    The command completed successfully