3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2010 7:48 AM by 653835 RSS

sqlplus client need to be more modern!

Hi All

I'm dreaming about a sqlplus (as like bash) be able to do auto completion behavior for commands, having a bigger history of commands than only 1 in the buffer and a syntaxe control in order to avoid errors.

A more detailled online help would also be perfect!
        • 1. Re: sqlplus client need to be more modern!
          I am very angry about Oracle support & develoeprs. They do not care about the situation and problems of the community. Your advice is a good example. That limitation of sqlplus exist before oracle has yet been developed ! I think sqlplus cames before the DBMS *g and only marketing makes oracle a global player instad of genius implementations.

Maybe oracle has no QA-Department that has experiences in usability :)

I think in my case they have no architects:

How to use OCI Serverside Scrollable ResultSet via JDBC-OCI

CLear Microsoft has baught its knowhow from sybase and so they had all needed implementated konzepts, but Oracle has to retighten in technical point of view.

Regards, Andre, Berlin
          • 2. Re: sqlplus client need to be more modern!
            Chuck Speaks-Oracle
            Have you tried SQL Developer (free product)? It may be what you are looking for.

As someone that was trained to be an Oracle DBA via svrmgr and sqlplus, I am a bit comfortable in the command line of sqlplus, but I think the usability factor is GREATLY increased with SQL Developer. It has a lot of the features you mentioned.

• 3. Re: sqlplus client need to be more modern!
              Hi Chuck

As you i grew up with vt220, svrmgr, sqlplus and a bunch of Unix&Linux commands but I still think that they could make it much more better.

I do not have anything against sqlplus as it quite fast but would appreciate to have even better.

I*m using raptor/SQL Developer already and also grid controller but still think that we need some command completion as SQL server does *for half the price