1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2008 9:06 AM by 666705 Go to original post
      • 15. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
        Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
        Can we use this plugin with Eclipse 3.2?
        No, these plugins are not compatible with Eclipse 3.2.

- Konstantin
        • 16. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
          Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
          Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
          Can we use this plugin with Eclipse 3.2?
          No, these plugins are not compatible with Eclipse 3.2.

- Konstantin
          I should have also mentioned that you can get everything that's in WLS
          Tools plus a lot more with Workshop for WebLogic 10.1. It's based on
          Eclipse 3.2 and there is an option to install it into an existing
          Eclipse installation.

- Konstantin
          • 17. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
            If I uses Eclipse 3.2, does the WTP handles the splitdir environment deployment for me? The Workshop for WLS 10.1 is free for developer use?
            • 18. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
              Hey, and thanks for your very quick reply!

You had one question in there:
              Could you provide more details as to the nature of
              the problem that you
              are seeing? Such as the exact error message that you
              get from WLS and
              whether the machine you are seeing this on is
              connected to the internet.
              We may have to engage WLS support on this.
              Here's the message from Eclipse's Problems-tab:

Referenced file contains errors (file:/C:/eclipse3.3/eclipse/plugins/com.bea.workshop.wls.core_1.1.100.200707101706/descriptors/catalog/90/weblogic-j2ee.xsd). For more information, right click on the message and select "Show Details..."
              On Element: weblogic-application.xml
              In Folder: myear/EarContent/META-INF

The HTTP Proxy was not configured. I fixed it, refreshed EAR project and restarted Eclipse but the problem was still there, the EAR wouldnt compile or get deployed.

So, I deleted the whole EAR project and created a new one. I added the existing Web project into the new EAR, added the EAR to the server, started the server and this time it all worked fine. I compared the weblogic-application.xml files of the two EARs, and they were identical. One of them just wasnt working.. interesting :)

So now this works with an EAR including one WAR, I'm just missing EJB 3.0 support :(

This split-source thing might really speed up development. The other choice would be to write the build and deployment scripts of our own, but it's much better if the IDE does these things behind the scenes.
              We have decided to use Optional Packages but not J2EE Shared Libraries, because OP are a standard technique but Shared Libs seem to be BEA proprietary, and we couldnt find use for shared libs anyway.

Is there going to be support for optional packages in Eclipse or WLS Tools, or do we have to just write the MANIFEST.MF manually?

--
              pete
              • 19. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
                If I uses Eclipse 3.2, does the WTP handles the splitdir environment deployment for me? The Workshop for WLS 10.1 is free for developer use?
                If you use Workshop for WLS 10.1, then deployment will use splitdir.
                Yes, Workshop for WLS 10.1 is free. There is some very basic support for
                WLS that comes with WTP in Eclipse 3.2, but that does not use splitdir
                deployment.

http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT=index.htm&FP=/content/products/weblogic/workshop/workshop/

- Konstantin
                • 20. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                  Pete,

Thanks for the details. I opened a bug and we will investigate.

http://bugzilla.bea.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15

There are currently no plans to add support for Optional Packages, but
                  that can change if there is enough user demand. I am curious, though,
                  about the source of your information regarding Optional Packages being a
                  standard technique. My understanding is that Optional Packages is an
                  interpreted reading of an unrelated Java spec (I want to say the applet
                  spec) in the context of a J2EE Server. Are you aware of any other J2EE
                  Server that supports Optional Packages?

Cheers,

- Konstantin
                  • 21. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                    If you use Workshop for WLS 10.1, then deployment
                    will use splitdir.
                    Yes, Workshop for WLS 10.1 is free. There is some
                    very basic support for
                    WLS that comes with WTP in Eclipse 3.2, but that does
                    not use splitdir
                    deployment.
                    By free, is it free for download & use and is fully featured? Does it have time expiry?
                    • 22. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                      Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
                      If you use Workshop for WLS 10.1, then deployment
                      will use splitdir.
                      Yes, Workshop for WLS 10.1 is free. There is some
                      very basic support for
                      WLS that comes with WTP in Eclipse 3.2, but that does
                      not use splitdir
                      deployment.
                      By free, is it free for download & use and is fully featured? Does it have time expiry?
                      It's not a demo, so it doesn't expire. It is free to download and use.
                      Workshop for WLS is basically the same product as Workshop Studio paid
                      product except that support for servers other than WLS is disabled.

- Konstantin
                      • 23. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                        Thanks for the details. I opened a bug and we will
                        investigate.

There are currently no plans to add support for
                        Optional Packages, but
                        that can change if there is enough user demand. I am
                        curious, though,
                        about the source of your information regarding
                        Optional Packages being a
                        standard technique. My understanding is that Optional
                        Packages is an
                        interpreted reading of an unrelated Java spec (I want
                        to say the applet
                        spec) in the context of a J2EE Server. Are you aware
                        of any other J2EE
                        It was my daydreaming that Optional Packages would have been part of JEE spec. It seems to be as you say; a Bea's proprietary combination of these two specs. But it's quite a brilliant one. Optional Packages are the new feature we've been most wishing to have.

They're very easy to handle, because all you need in the EAR side is a MANIFEST.MF, and it's easy to generate with build scripts. Deployment descriptors are harder to handle.

But, if there's not going to be support for the manifest based references, then we probably have to make our build scripts able to modify XML descriptors.

Regards,
                        Pete

--
                        pete
                        • 24. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                          Pete Hakkarainen wrote:
                          Thanks for the details. I opened a bug and we will
                          investigate.

There are currently no plans to add support for
                          Optional Packages, but
                          that can change if there is enough user demand. I am
                          curious, though,
                          about the source of your information regarding
                          Optional Packages being a
                          standard technique. My understanding is that Optional
                          Packages is an
                          interpreted reading of an unrelated Java spec (I want
                          to say the applet
                          spec) in the context of a J2EE Server. Are you aware
                          of any other J2EE
                          It was my daydreaming that Optional Packages would have been part of JEE spec. It seems to be as you say; a Bea's proprietary combination of these two specs. But it's quite a brilliant one. Optional Packages are the new feature we've been most wishing to have.

They're very easy to handle, because all you need in the EAR side is a MANIFEST.MF, and it's easy to generate with build scripts. Deployment descriptors are harder to handle.

But, if there's not going to be support for the manifest based references, then we probably have to make our build scripts able to modify XML descriptors.

Regards,
                          Pete

--
                          pete
                          I am curious about your comment regarding having builds scripts add
                          these entries. Why are you using build scripts for that versus just
                          checking in these files into your source control system along with the
                          rest of your application source. WLS Tools includes UI that will modify
                          the weblogic.xml and/or weblogic-application.xml files for you when you
                          add a shared library to your project (it will also setup your
                          classpath), but you would then want to hang on to the
                          weblogic.xml/weblogic-application.xml file that's created.

- Konstantin
                          • 25. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                            I am curious about your comment regarding having
                            builds scripts add
                            these entries. Why are you using build scripts for
                            that versus just
                            checking in these files into your source control
                            system along with the
                            rest of your application source. WLS Tools includes
                            UI that will modify
                            the weblogic.xml and/or weblogic-application.xml
                            files for you when you
                            add a shared library to your project (it will also
                            setup your
                            classpath), but you would then want to hang on to the

weblogic.xml/weblogic-application.xml file that's
                            created.
                            You mean checking in the manifest.mf files?

We have a "home-grown" build system, that has quite a lot of intelligence built in. We want to decide outside of any development project, which libraries are run as Optional Packages and which can be bundled inside applications. If this informationc can be configured in the build system common for all our Java projects, then the build system can also create decent manifest.mf files for any of our projects.

EARs built with an IDE are only being run on developers' own desktops. EARs for any centralized server are built with a centralized build system. This means that the packaging structure inside the IDE can be different from the "final" one, and thus developers dont need to use Optional Packages on their desktops.

This might be very much like any environment, where Continuous Integration server (= build system) is separated completely from the IDE configuration.

--
                            pete
                            • 26. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                              Could you give me a bit more details about exactly
                              what you tried? For
                              instance, which screen did you use to add the EJB Jar
                              file to the EAR
                              project? At what point did you get the message?
                              I right-click on the "Project Explorer" > Import > EJB Jar File. At the Import Wizard, I browse to include this particular EJB Jar file. After selecting this Jar file, I saw the message at the wizard. I'd earlier imported 2 EJB Jar files using this method.
                              Anything special about
                              your EJB jar file? Note that WLS 8.1 is a Java EE 1.3
                              server, so if your
                              EJB uses 1.4 version of the Java EE spec, that might
                              be the problem that
                              you are seeing. You can check the version by looking
                              at the namespace
                              URL referenced in the EJB descriptor file.

- Konstantin
                              I checked, the EJB Jar is for J2EE 1.3. It's EJB 2.0. Compared the DOCTYPE of weblogic-ejb-jar.xml and ejb-jar.xml with the other 2 EJB Jar files that were successfully added and found no differences.

Any way to get more information for debugging what could be wrong?
                              • 27. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                                It's not a demo, so it doesn't expire. It is free to
                                download and use.
                                Workshop for WLS is basically the same product as
                                Workshop Studio paid
                                product except that support for servers other than
                                WLS is disabled.

- Konstantin
                                I read from [url http://commerce.bea.com/showproduct.jsp?family=WLW&major=10.1&minor=0] this:
                                The download defaults to a developer license, which allows you to use the product for a year with 5 concurrent IP connections.
                                Is 1 year developer's license refering to the BEA WebLogic Server?
                                • 28. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                                  The whole package, really, which includes WLS.

Cheng Wei Lee wrote:
                                  It's not a demo, so it doesn't expire. It is free to
                                  download and use.
                                  Workshop for WLS is basically the same product as
                                  Workshop Studio paid
                                  product except that support for servers other than
                                  WLS is disabled.

- Konstantin
                                  I read from [url http://commerce.bea.com/showproduct.jsp?family=WLW&major=10.1&minor=0] this:
                                  The download defaults to a developer license, which allows you to use the product for a year with 5 concurrent IP connections.
                                  Is 1 year developer's license refering to the BEA WebLogic Server?
                                  • 29. Re: BEA releases WebLogic Server Tools for Eclipse 3.3
                                    Would it be possible for you to share the EJB jar that you are having
                                    the problem with with BEA so that we can investigate? You can send the
                                    jar to me privately at "kosta_at_bea.com".

- Konstantin