This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2009 7:54 AM by Hackey Weinberger RSS

Error in SmartSpace Client Installation

673684 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I'm having a problem while installing SmartSpace client. I've tried in other computers and it works.

This is the error:

Message: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The System could not find the specified file.

Server stack trace:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at Hyperion.SmartSpace.Framework.Core.MessageSender.PostMessage(ServiceMessage message)
at Hyperion.SmartSpace.Framework.Core.MessageSender.PostMessage[TRequest](String source, String service, String name, TRequest request)
at Hyperion.SmartSpace.Framework.Core.MessageSender.PostMessage[TRequest](String service, String name, TRequest request)
at Hyperion.SmartSpace.UI.Container.ShellApplication.Run(String[] args)
at Hyperion.SmartSpace.Program.Main(String[] args)
Category: Framework
Priority: -1
EventId: 0
Severity: Error
Title: Smart Space

Thanks in advance
RS
  • 1. Re: Error in SmartSpace Client Installation
    619485 Newbie
    We are currently looking into this issue given the details you provided.

We would like to obtain further information about your install environment to help determine the cause of this.

Please contact me directly via my email information below and we will be happy to work with you on resolving the issue.

Thanks,
    Rob Hull
    Development Manager
    Oracle Smart Space
    ROB.HULL@oracle.com

Edited by: Rob Hull on Dec 3, 2008 8:29 PM
  • 2. Re: Error in SmartSpace Client Installation
    user638950 Newbie
    Hi,

I have the same problem on a few client machines. I've figured out that this error occurs when I run the second instance of SmartSpace.exe.

When I click "Install the Smart Space Client" (http://myserver:17080/SmartSpace/SmartSpace.application) the installation window appears and I click Install. After download is completed SmartSpace.exe seems to be running because it exists in processes list in Task Manager and is using 2-3% CPU. There is neither Logs directory nor SmartSpace.log file under C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Apps\2.0 folder. I've also noticed that there is no Oracle Smart Space shortcut on desktop but only in Start Menu\Programs\Oracle Smart Space, Fusion Edition.

When I click "Install the Smart Space Client" again or run Smart Space Client from Start Menu the second instance of SmartSpace.exe appears in the processes list and after few seconds "Failed to connect to an IPC Port" message is shown and is written to SmartSpace.log file under C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Apps\2.0 folder. After I close the message the first instance of SmartSpace.exe still exists.

From now on the situation repeats: every time I run "Smart Space Client" for the first time the process stops after a few seconds and when I execute it again it shows "Failed to connect to an IPC Port" error.

System configuration: MS Windows XP Professional SP2, IE 7.0, .NET 1.1, .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0

I've tried to install Smart Space Client on the server machine with the same result.

So far I've installed successfuly Smart Space Client on one client machine but I haven't noticed significant differences in OS configuration between other client machines.

Hope it will help you solve the problem.

PP
  • 3. Re: Error in SmartSpace Client Installation
    Hackey Weinberger Newbie
    This issue occurs when the Smart SPace client is installed in a localized (non-English) version of Windows.

The resolution is the following workaround:

1. Create a local group in your Windows client named "Everyone" (using Engligh characters) and include
    your localized version of the "Everyone" group (whatever it is called in your
    installed operating system language) to this newly created group.

2. Restart Smart Space, verify the Smart Space client starts-up correctly and
    then check to esnure the Windows Explorer integration is working after connecting to
    Hyperion BI, Oracle BI and/or Oracle BI Publisher

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points