This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2009 3:49 AM by 700407 RSS

Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook

666742 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
I have installed Oracle Connector to use Outlook as my default client for calendaring. It is unable to connect and gives the following error (I've deleted server name and username for anonymity):
When I use Oracle Calendar client (i.e the separate program) to connect, it is successful.

-----------------------
The Oracle Calendar server is unavailable.
The network may be down or the server name may be misspelled.

Configuration:
Protocol: Oracle Calendar
Server: --------deleted--------
User Name: --------deleted--------
Port: 0
Code: 0x800406b9
-----------------------

Please let me know the solution.
Thanks
  • 1. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    450470 Explorer
    Hello

Port : 0 that is weird ! Can't tell why it does not connect, but if it uses a port 0, it wont work
  • 2. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    666742 Newbie
    Port 0 is the default setting in the Connector's dialogue screen
  • 3. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    450470 Explorer
    I checked, it works here with port 0 configured in the dialog screen.

Preserving anonymity, could you post the schema of setup parameters you used ?
  • 4. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    666742 Newbie
    Hi

In the <strong>Oracle Calendar client</strong> (the stand-alone software), to setup the connection with my company's calendar, I follow these steps:

1. On the starting "Connection Manager" screen, I click on New and it pops up a "Connection Editor" screen

2. I give a name to the calendar, say "mycalendar" in "Connection Name" field

3. In the "server" field I put the calendar server of my organization: <strong>calendar.mis.xyzcompany.com</strong>

4. Now I click on the "Lookup" button and it populates all other fields for me - with the following data:

<blockquote>
         Node: 10000

Authentication: Standard Authentication

Compression: Run Length Encoding Compression

Encryption: None

</blockquote>
    After these steps, the stand-alone software <em>successfully</em> connects to the calendar.

In the <strong>Oracle Connector for Outlook</strong>, to setup the connection, I follow these steps:

1. I run the Oracle Connector Configuration Wizard

2. In the first "Profile Settings" page, I create a new profile called "outlook" and click on Next

3. In the next "Service Settings" page, I check on calendar and put the following options in the required fields

<blockquote>
         Server name: calendar.mis.xyzcompany.com

User name: myusername

Password: mypassword

</blockquote>
    4. In the "incoming mail server" and "outgoing mail server", I put my company's mail server. I click on Next

4. Then it gives me a "Profile Successfully Configured" and I click on "Finish"

After these steps, I open up Outlook. It successfully connects to the mail server but is <em>unsuccessful</em> in connecting to the calendar and gives this message:

"The Oracle Calendar server is unavailable. The network may be down or the server name misspelled."

There is no "Lookup Server" button in the configuration wizard for the connector. And there are not these other fields either like Node, Authentication, Encyption etc.

I cannot figure out the solution

Thanks a lot
  • 5. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    690377 Newbie
    Hi!

We have the same problem here. We are running Corporate Time to access our calendar system. I ran a port scanner to figure out which port our calendaring system runs, but the port changes everytime I close and reopen Corporate Time. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hiram
  • 6. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    450470 Explorer
    Hello

sorry for the late answer

I don't see anything unusual in your procedure. You really should post a SR for this case.
  • 7. Re: Not able to connect to calendar in Outlook
    700407 Newbie
    I have exactly the same problem. Desktop Client and PDA Sync work, but the Outlook connector doesn't find the server. Any more ideas on this?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points