5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2009 2:40 AM by 677537 RSS

Failed to activate changes.

Hi,

I did some changes in WebLogic but one of the changes took so long to be activated so I navigated away from the page. I remember having an error as well when I tried to undo the changes. But anyway, since then am having a problem where I can't activate any changes that I made. I tried rebooting the server but the problem still persists.

The error displayed on the console is:

An error occurred during activation of changes, please see the log for details.
           Message icon - Error     [Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception:
           Message icon - Error     java.lang.NullPointerException:

Excerpt from AdminServer.log (it's longer but I cut it short because I think the important part is at the bottom):

####<Mar 23, 2009 5:53:49 PM MYT> <Info> <Console> <server01> <AdminServer> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '6' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <system> <> <> <1237802029960> <BEA-240001> <Attempting to instantiate SharedFlowControllers for request /console/j2ee/WebAppApplicationOverview.do>
      ####<Mar 23, 2009 5:53:49 PM MYT> <Info> <Console> <server01> <AdminServer> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '6' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <system> <> <> <1237802029962> <BEA-240001> <<ConsoleInteraction: User is viewing <com.bea.console.actions.webapp.WebAppApplicationOverviewAction> for <AppDeployment> <com.bea.console.handles.AppDeploymentHandle%28%22com.bea%3AName%3DproxyApp%2CType%3DAppDeployment%22%29>>>
      ####<Mar 23, 2009 5:53:49 PM MYT> <Info> <Console> <server01> <AdminServer> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '6' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <system> <> <> <1237802029963> <BEA-240001> <<ConsoleInteraction: User is viewing <com.bea.console.actions.webapp.WebAppApplicationOverviewAction> for <Application> <com.bea.console.handles.AppDeploymentHandle%28%22com.bea%3AName%3DproxyApp%2CType%3DAppDeployment%22%29>>>
      ####<Mar 23, 2009 5:53:50 PM MYT> <Info> <J2EE Deployment SPI> <server01> <AdminServer> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '6' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <system> <> <> <1237802030103> <BEA-260084> <Deployment descriptors in proxyApp are not schema based.>
      ####<Mar 23, 2009 5:53:50 PM MYT> <Warning> <J2EE Deployment SPI> <server01> <AdminServer> <[ACTIVE] ExecuteThread: '6' for queue: 'weblogic.kernel.Default (self-tuning)'> <system> <> <> <1237802030127> <BEA-260128> <Changes not allowed to DTD based descriptors. The attempt to modify property 'ServletName' in WEB-INF/weblogic.xml for module 'proxyApp' will be vetoed if possible. The change will not be persisted in either case.>

Another log excerpt from the Admin Server terminal:

<Mar 23, 2009 8:52:43 PM MYT> <Error> <Console> <BEA-240003> <Console encountered the following error weblogic.management.provider.UpdateException: [Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception:
      at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.updateDeploymentContext(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:648)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.doUpdateDeploymentContextCallback(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:133)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.updateDeploymentContext(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:27)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.callDeploymentReceivers(ReceivedPrepare.java:199)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.handlePrepare(ReceivedPrepare.java:110)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.receivedPrepare(ReceivedPrepare.java:52)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.TargetRequestImpl.run(TargetRequestImpl.java:211)
      at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.transport.CommonMessageReceiver$1.run(CommonMessageReceiver.java:408)
      at weblogic.work.ServerWorkManagerImpl$WorkAdapterImpl.run(ServerWorkManagerImpl.java:518)
      at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:209)
      at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:181)
      Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException:
      at weblogic.utils.FileUtils.remove(FileUtils.java:273)
      at weblogic.utils.FileUtils.remove(FileUtils.java:286)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.deleteFileOrDir(ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.java:229)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.deleteConfigPrevBakDir(ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.java:225)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.saveConfigPrevDirToConfigPrevBakDir(ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.java:147)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.saveConfigPrevToConfigPrevBak(ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.java:112)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.handleBackup(ConfigBackupRecoveryManager.java:46)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigDataUpdate.handleBackup(ConfigDataUpdate.java:443)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.ConfigDataUpdate.doDownload(ConfigDataUpdate.java:79)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.DataUpdate.download(DataUpdate.java:56)
      at weblogic.deploy.internal.targetserver.datamanagement.Data.prepareDataUpdate(Data.java:98)
      at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.downloadFiles(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:898)
      at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.updateDeploymentContext(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:564)

Anyone encounter this kinda issue before? Am I supposed to copy back the files in <domain_root>/pending/ to <domain_root>/config folder?

Please help.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Failed to activate changes.
          Shutdown the server and rename the runtime directory of the server. Please replace the previous config.xml which worked for you, if you have a backup and restart.

/Shashi
          • 2. Re: Failed to activate changes.
            Thanks Shashi. I intent to post earlier, but didn't have the chance. I actually managed to fix the problem by clearing the files in <domain_root>/servers/domain_bak directory.
            • 3. Re: Failed to activate changes.
              I am having similar issue, but deleting the files from /usr/bea/domains/aconnex/pending and /usr/bea/domains/aconnex/servers has not helped. My error complains of a JDK compatibility issue, but I have no application deployed at all.

Here is my stack trace:
              <Mar 27, 2009 10:20:09 AM CDT> <Warning> <Management> <BEA-141239> <The non-dynamic attribute NMType on weblogic.management.configuration.NodeManagerMBeanImpl@f9bb0b81([aconnex]/Machines[Machine3]/NodeManager[Machine3]) has been changed. This may require redeploying or rebooting configured entities>
              <Mar 27, 2009 10:20:09 AM CDT> <Warning> <Management> <BEA-141238> <A non-dynamic change has been made which affects the server admin. This server must be rebooted in order to consume this change.>
              <Mar 27, 2009 10:20:09 AM CDT> <Warning> <Management> <BEA-141238> <A non-dynamic change has been made which affects the server ManagedServer1. This server must be rebooted in order to consume this change.>
              <Mar 27, 2009 10:20:09 AM CDT> <Warning> <Management> <BEA-141238> <A non-dynamic change has been made which affects the server ManagedServer2. This server must be rebooted in order to consume this change.>
              <Mar 27, 2009 10:20:13 AM CDT> <Error> <Console> <BEA-240003> <Console encountered the following error weblogic.management.provider.UpdateException: [Management:141191]The prepare phase of the configuration update failed with an exception:
              at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.updateDeploymentContext(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:652)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.doUpdateDeploymentContextCallback(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:133)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.updateDeploymentContext(DeploymentReceiverCallbackDeliverer.java:27)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.callDeploymentReceivers(ReceivedPrepare.java:203)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.handlePrepare(ReceivedPrepare.java:112)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.statemachines.targetserver.ReceivedPrepare.receivedPrepare(ReceivedPrepare.java:52)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.targetserver.TargetRequestImpl.run(TargetRequestImpl.java:211)
              at weblogic.deploy.service.internal.transport.CommonMessageReceiver$1.run(CommonMessageReceiver.java:410)
              at weblogic.work.SelfTuningWorkManagerImpl$WorkAdapterImpl.run(SelfTuningWorkManagerImpl.java:516)
              at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:201)
              at weblogic.work.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:173)
              Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This class does not support JDK1.5
              at weblogic.apache.xerces.dom.CoreDocumentImpl.getXmlStandalone(CoreDocumentImpl.java:2588)
              at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.setDocumentInfo(DOM2TO.java:373)
              at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.parse(DOM2TO.java:127)
              at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.DOM2TO.parse(DOM2TO.java:94)
              at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transformIdentity(TransformerImpl.java:662)
              at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:708)
              at com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:313)
              at weblogic.management.provider.internal.ConfigReader.convert(ConfigReader.java:134)
              at weblogic.management.provider.internal.ConfigReader.<init>(ConfigReader.java:71)
              at weblogic.management.provider.internal.ConfigReader.<init>(ConfigReader.java:65)
              at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.handleConfigTreeLoad(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:961)
              at weblogic.management.provider.internal.RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.updateDeploymentContext(RuntimeAccessDeploymentReceiverService.java:581)
              >
              • 4. Re: Failed to activate changes.
                Try clearing off your domain_bak directory (if you haven't). In my case the problem occurred after I did some changes and I navigated away from the page (since it took so long to load) before the changes were fully activated.
                • 5. Re: Failed to activate changes.
                  open a service request with Oracle to check whether it is a known issue