This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2009 7:45 AM by KLaker RSS

triggers for moving data

624403 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all.........

I have defined several tier (with its tablespaces) seting a retain time for each one. For example, 1 month for tier. It is supposed that passed this month, those datafiles (or partition) will be moved into the next tier defined. But , is not there any trigger or condition to prevent moving active data (even this data belongs to a tier with closed retain time) if this data is still active (is being used) ????
It is yes, where i can set those conditions???
  • 1. Re: triggers for moving data
    KLaker Newbie
    The ILM Assistant (ILMA) is not designed to automatically move a partition from one tier to another. The ILMA will generate the scripts to move the partition from one tier to another but it does not then execute those scripts even though the use of a calendar on the main page might make you think it was in fact building a schedule of when to move a partition. Once you have generated the SQL script from the ILMA you can then give these scripts to your DBA for scheduling within all the other database operations or you can schedule the execution of the script yourself.

If you could provide some more information about your specific use case it might be possible to provide a work around.

Hope this helps

Keith
  • 2. Re: triggers for moving data
    624403 Newbie
    ok.
    When i define the Lifecycle Setup i must set a retain time for each tier. But i thought ILM was able to know (trought statics or another way) if some data was recently accessed to mark it as actual and althought its tablespace was mapped in a tier with expired retain time date, advisor does not recomend you to move it into another tier (lower performance).
    Beacause if this is not so, there is no way to plan moving data into lower performance tier, because one at first does not know the ratain time. When a data becomes old to move it??
    I thought ILM would have some trigger or condition like 'if this table have not been accesed for 1 month, mark it as candidate to move it into lower performance tier'
  • 3. Re: triggers for moving data
    624403 Newbie
    Any help from here?
    thank you in advance.
  • 4. Re: triggers for moving data
    KLaker Newbie
    Currently, ILM does not monitor data access to check if data can be moved to another storage tier. The profile you define for each storage tier determines the storage tier used by a specific partition. Going forward this would be an interesting idea to explore for a future release of the ILM Assistant. If this is a must-have requirement for your system then you could create your own monitoring analyze data usage. As the ILMA only creates the scripts for moving data (it does not actually execute the scripts) you could easily wrap your own data checking routine round the ILMA scripts.

Hope this helps

Keith

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points