This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 10:49 AM by gdarling - oracle RSS

Accessing the oracle db is takinig ages to retrieve

santhosh.shivaram Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I'm connecting to oracle database from my front end. When i click on any of my link its taking ages to load the data.

Please find the connect string below:

<add name="TPOracleConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=198.82.34.58)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME= XE)));User Id=emp1;Password=emp1; Pooling=true; Min Pool Size=10; Max Pool Size =100; Connection Timeout=60;" providerName="Oracle.DataAccess.Client"/>
<add name="LoggingDB” connectionString="Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=198.82.34.58)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVER=DEDICATED)(SERVICE_NAME=XE)));User Id=emp1;Password=emp1; Pooling=true; Min Pool Size=10; Max Pool Size =100; Connection Timeout=60;" providerName="Oracle.DataAccess.Client"/>

Please let me know if any wrong in my connect string.. How to increase the performance..

Many Thanks,
Santhosh.S
  • 1. Re: Accessing the oracle db is takinig ages to retrieve
    gdarling - oracle Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    I dont see anything wrong with the connect string, and it's going to be difficult to make any suggestions with the limited information provided.

How long is "ages" exactly (or approximately :))?

What specifically is taking so long? con.open? dataadapter.fill? dataadapter.update? reader.read? etc.

If the long operation is a select query, how many rows/columns of what datatype does it return? Have you looked into the explain plan and such on the database to make sure the query is being processed efficiently?

You may want to look into adjusting ODP FetchSize to see if that helps with performance.

Also, for future reference, unless you're actually using .NET stored procedures you'd probably want to post this type of question in the [ODP.NET forum|http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=146].

Greg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points