This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2009 3:46 AM by 664810 RSS

Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size

664810 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I have a problem with tar.gz files that I have to concatenate before moving the resulting file into the /OVS/seed_pool directory.

When I type this command such as indicated in the template readme file:

cat GC_Container.tar.gz.1of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.2of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.3of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.4of4 | tar xzvf -+

The directory created for the cat and tar commands represents more than 35Go and then the concatenation fails due to disk space problem.

The same happens with the yum repository files concatenation, from 9Go, the yum.img file resulting is 40Go and keep growing...

My question is: Are those sizes normal? Is there something wrong with the cat | tar command?

The template size is supposed to be much smaller according to this tutorial [http://seoutsourcing.com/node/57|http://seoutsourcing.com/node/57]

Thank you for you feedback,

Olivier
  • 1. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    Avi Miller Guru
    ONoel wrote:
    My question is: Are those sizes normal?
    Yes, they are -- the tarballs unpack to somewhere around 100GB or so, from memory. You do not require the yum.img and it'd be quite out of date now anyway. You can use the tools within Grid Control to recreate the yum repository, but you will need sufficient space for it. You can check the [Yum Repository Setup|http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/linux/htdocs/yum-repository-setup.html] page for approximate sizing for each channel.
  • 2. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    664810 Newbie
    Thank you for your quick answer!

So you are saying that I don't need the Yum repository provided with the template.
    I'm still wondering what is its original use?

Do I absolutely have to recreate one by following the tutorial you linked me or can I import the template and create my OMS and OMR VMs without a Yum repository?
    Our VM server doesn't have access to the INTERNET if it needs somehow to get Enterprise Linux RPMs (I assume it's the point of the local Yum repository)

Sorry for my ignorance I'm quite a newcomer in this area :)

Olivier
  • 3. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    Avi Miller Guru
    ONoel wrote:
    So you are saying that I don't need the Yum repository provided with the template.
    I'm still wondering what is its original use?
    The Yum repository stores a mirror of the major channels from the Unbreakable Linux Network. You use it to patch your local Oracle Enterprise Linux servers instead of having them all download RPMs from the Internet.
    Do I absolutely have to recreate one by following the tutorial you linked me or can I import the template and create my OMS and OMR VMs without a Yum repository?
    Our VM server doesn't have access to the INTERNET if it needs somehow to get Enterprise Linux RPMs (I assume it's the point of the local Yum repository)
    You don't need to follow the tutorial -- I linked to it because it has a list of the sizes of each channel. Sorry, I didn't really make that clear, did I? :)

If your VM server doesn't have access to the Internet, then I recommend using the Yum repository disk image that you have, because you would need Internet access to recreate it. By using the yum.img, you'll at least have access to a repository, even if it isn't the very latest. Once your VM server does get Internet access (or perhaps you can arrange access via a proxy server), you can use Grid Control's Linux Staging Server Setup system to keep your yum repository up to date.

Just a note that you are using the 10.2.0.4 version of Grid Control -- we have released the 10.2.0.5 version which has a much improved Linux Management Pack. I would recommend downloading the 10.2.0.5 version from eDelivery and using that one instead.
  • 4. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    664810 Newbie
    Thank you I think you made my day! :)

Thank you also for your advice about the latest template but I don't want the 10.2.0.5 one because it creates one single server with both the OMS and the OMR on the same host. (If I'm right)
    I'm going to update my 10.2.0.4 Grid Control to 10.2.0.5 afterwards.

Olivier
  • 5. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    Avi Miller Guru
    ONoel wrote:
    Thank you also for your advice about the latest template but I don't want the 10.2.0.5 one because it creates one single server with both the OMS and the OMR on the same host. (If I'm right)
    I believe so. I haven't actually loaded up the 10.2.0.5 Template yet -- haven't had a chance! Been doing too many physical 10.2.0.5 deployments in the last few weeks.
    I'm going to update my 10.2.0.4 Grid Control to 10.2.0.5 afterwards.
    You can't update the 10.2.0.4 Template directly to 10.2.0.5 -- there are a few gotchas. Metalink Doc ID 805706.1 has instructions on how to upgrade the 10.2.0.4 template to 10.2.0.5.
  • 6. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    664810 Newbie
    Yeah I already noticed this Metalink Doc. Thanks for the tip anyway :)

Olivier
  • 7. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    627129 Newbie
    Olivier,

You could also try enabling sparse file support (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file) option with tar, this may decrease the amount of "actual" space been used by the extracted files. Note though if your /OVS repository is on a OCFS2 filesystem this will not work and the files will be extracted to the largest size. ext3 and NFS support sparse files. The following command will enable sparse file support:
    cat GC_Container.tar.gz.1of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.2of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.3of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.4of4 | tar xzvSf -

Note that you can automatically extract the files to the /OVS/seed_pool directory by running:
    cat GC_Container.tar.gz.1of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.2of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.3of4 GC_Container.tar.gz.4of4 | tar xzvSf - -C /OVS/seed_pool

NOTE 2: The latest release of OCFS2 (1.4) now has sparse file support.
  • 8. Re: Grid Control 10.2.0.4 VM Template Size
    664810 Newbie
    Hi,

My /OVS/ directory is indeed on a OCFS2 filesystem. Thanks for your input anyway!

(I managed to import both templates and currently is deploying the OMS after successfully doing it for the OMR :) )

Cheers,

Olivier

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points