1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 11:31 AM by Benjamin Finkel RSS

ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU

Hello Everyone

I have just finished a fresh install of Essbase 11, migrated a few applications over, and for a time everything works as it should.

But leave the server running for a couple of days (with very little usage) and the essbase service utilizes 100% cpu, making the essbase unusable. The event reoccurs after service & server reboot

I'm fairly new to the Essbase world :) any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Essbase 11.1.1
      Windows Server 2003 SP2, 4way CPU 4GB ram
        • 1. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
          You will have to kill the essvr process from process explorer or try to stop the active applications that are not in use, to bring down the CPU Utilization.

Regards,
          Cnee
          • 2. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
            CL
            Have you looked at the Essbase.log and application logs?

Tried to see which application (a given app will be tied to a ESSSVR.EXE process, but the only way to know is to see what databases are actively loaded -- it is a pain) is running? Any automated actions that may cause it to fire off? Again, the application log will be your guide.

Or is it ESSBASE.EXE that's logging 100% of the CPU? It can't be CPUs as even in 11x the Essbase agent is still single threaded (I believe that to still be true).

I'll throw out that there may be some antivirus/backup software out there conflicting with Essbase, but the behavior you describe isn't typical -- usually it's a database that can't stop/unload/calculate/etc because .PAG/.IND in BSO and .DAT files in ASO are locked -- but I suppose it's still a possibility.

Obviously something is making Essbase throw restraint to the wind -- the logs can help you.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour
            • 3. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
              Thanks for the feedback everyone

I finally figured out wtf is going on, and there is some precedent but i have yet to find a solution

The ESSSVR.exe hangs only when connecting to the Server using Remote Desktop, once i log off the process hangs

This person has the same issue - http://kr.forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=563020&tstart=1035

Does anyone know of a work around?

Thanks
              • 4. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                John A Booth
                I've also seen this happen. It was only when I logged onto the console directly. Terminal servicing the sever not through the console did not cause the Essbase server processes to freeze.

One other question -- you don't happen to have Trend Micro Antivirus running on that server do you?

Regards,

-John
                • 5. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                  Nope, were using Symantec Antivirus

Greg
                  • 6. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                    John A Booth
                    Interesting. Looks like it may just be some incompatibility with console via terminal services and Essbase. If you have the time I suggest you log a case -- based on what I've seen it's very re-creatable.

Every time I login as a console user and then logout 100% utilization on the logout. One thing you can do to minimize the run-away is use Process Explorer and change the priority of the Essbase processes to be lower than normal. They still freak out on logout however don't use 100% of processor.

-John
                    • 7. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                      It seems ESSSVR.exe is not compatible with Symantec Antivirus software. ESSSVR.exe ususally will hang up during the virus definition file update.
                      • 8. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                        John A Booth
                        I'm curious if you are excluding all Essbase directories from your Symantec.

The problem we are seeing doesn't seem related to Antivirus and is specifically something with Essbase and Terminal Services.

-John
                        • 9. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                          Our case is not related to terminal services. The Essbase services got malfunction when there is a virus definition update.

Maybe it is not the same case as yours.

Thanks!
                          • 10. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                            John A Booth
                            FYI I replicated this on a physical machine today and logged a ticket with oracle and reached out to a manager to escalate as it looks like a defect in at least the 11.1 line and may affect older lines as well.

Basically have some cubes started on a server, terminal service to the console port and log out. Bam it hit's 100% cpu utilization. It barely touches disk interestingly enough.

-John
                            • 11. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                              Jbooth wrote:
                              FYI I replicated this on a physical machine today and logged a ticket with oracle and reached out to a manager to escalate as it looks like a defect in at least the 11.1 line and may affect older lines as well.

Basically have some cubes started on a server, terminal service to the console port and log out. Bam it hit's 100% cpu utilization. It barely touches disk interestingly enough.

-John
                              We also experience this. On our case we will hang up when there are 2 remote connection to the Windows server.

Anyway I think definitely it is a bug of Essbase processes when some other unrelated console logout that should not affect the Essbase process running.

Thanks anyway for the info and hope that Oracle will fix this Essbase bugs ASAP.
                              • 12. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                                John A Booth
                                Oracle got back to me pretty quickly. It is a bug introduced in the 11.1 line and 11.1.1.3 fixes this (to be released).

They have about 8-9 customers that have reported this issue and if you are affected and haven't logged a case you can log a case and reference: BUG# 8279377: ESSBASE HANGS WHEN THE DOMAIN USER LOGS OFF

They are determining if they will have a hotfix in addition to the new release.

If you run Essbase in the foreground rather than as a Service it is not affected by this behavior. You may be able to use something like Kixstart or something else to run Essbase as a non-service to get around.

-John
                                • 13. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                                  Jbooth wrote:
                                  Oracle got back to me pretty quickly. It is a bug introduced in the 11.1 line and 11.1.1.3 fixes this (to be released).

They have about 8-9 customers that have reported this issue and if you are affected and haven't logged a case you can log a case and reference: BUG# 8279377: ESSBASE HANGS WHEN THE DOMAIN USER LOGS OFF

They are determining if they will have a hotfix in addition to the new release.

If you run Essbase in the foreground rather than as a Service it is not affected by this behavior. You may be able to use something like Kixstart or something else to run Essbase as a non-service to get around.

-John
                                  John, thanks a lot!
                                  • 14. Re: ESSSVR.exe utilizing 100% CPU
                                    Update!!

We have been able to get around this issue by not using the -console switch when connecting to the Essbase server with Remote Desktop

Thank you everyone for your time and replies

Greg
                                    1 2 Previous Next