This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2009 1:40 PM by cj RSS

Shared vs dedicated server

SJM Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production

If I create a database using dbca, and select dedicated server mode, then it is setup with shared_servers=1.

I was under the impression, as described in the documentation, that this implies shared server mode and a value of 0 is dedictaed server mode?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
  • 1. Re: Shared vs dedicated server
    Centinul Guru
    Straight from the docs:
    If you are using shared server architecture or if the DISPATCHERS parameter is set such that the total number of dispatchers is more than 0, then the default value is 1.
    So, what's the value of the DISPATCHERS parameter?
  • 2. Re: Shared vs dedicated server
    Gerwin Hendriksen Explorer
    The configured shared_server is used by the XML DB implementation in 11G. The shared server is used for HTTP, WebDAV and FTP protocols. See also Oracle metalink Note 433831.1.

Regards, Gerwin
  • 3. Re: Shared vs dedicated server
    SJM Newbie
    Thanks. That explains it nicely.
  • 4. Re: Shared vs dedicated server
    EdStevens Guru
    SJM wrote:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production

If I create a database using dbca, and select dedicated server mode, then it is setup with shared_servers=1.

I was under the impression, as described in the documentation, that this implies shared server mode and a value of 0 is dedictaed server mode?

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
    When talking about shared vs. dedicated server "mode", it's not an either/or situation. It can always accept dedicated connections. Setting shared_servers simply creates dispatchers to allow shared connections in addition to dedicated connections. The client tells what kind of connection he wants, via the syntax used in the tnsnames.ora entry.
  • 5. Re: Shared vs dedicated server
    cj Employee ACE
    Ditto with 11g Database Resident Connection Pooling: you can mix applications that use dedicated with applications that use pooled servers. Some background info on DRCP is in
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/php/pdf/php-scalability-ha-twp.pdf

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points