This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 9:00 AM by 936167 RSS

pro*c program causing core dump in 11g

708410 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hello every one,
I am trying to debug a pro*c program which is resulting in a core dump. It used to work fine in with Oracle 10g precompiler but is causing a core dump with 11g. When I run dbx here is what I get.

dbx wreg309
Type 'help' for help.
[using memory image in core]
reading symbolic information ...
Segmentation fault in u_fsetcodepage_3_8 at 0x9000000014f4f70 ($t1)
0x9000000014f4f70 (u_fsetcodepage_3_8+0x68) f87f0010 std r3,0x10(r31)

Any ideas what this means ? Thanks.
  • 1. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
    Mark Williams-Oracle Employee ACE
    Hi,

Doing some searching suggests that you might be using the "International Components for Unicode" (http://site.icu-project.org/home) either directly or indirectly with an IBM product.

The particular function where the segmentation fault is occurring looks to be setting the codepage:

http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/ustdio_8h.html#7381b833b6835034008985da1fb9acc2

A couple of search hits indicate that a #define fsetcodepage u_fsetcodepage_3_8 might be in a header file used on your system.

Regards,

Mark
  • 2. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
    708410 Newbie
    Thanks! You are dead on. We are using Banner 8 libraries which uses UFT 8 character set and does use ustdio.h. Now I am trying to figure out how to fix this.

Thanks.
  • 3. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
    Mark Williams-Oracle Employee ACE
    Now I am trying to figure out how to fix this.

Hmm, well that will be the fun part. :) If Pro*C was upgraded, the Oracle Client must have been too, perhaps other things as well... Does the segmentation fault always reproduce? Do compiler settings (i.e. optimization) have any impact?

- Mark
  • 4. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
    708410 Newbie
    Segmentation fault happens as soon as program is run and happens every time. One thing is I have noticed is that it only happens in programs using curses.h. I am wondering if curses is not compatible with ustdio.
  • 5. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
    712047 Newbie
    We are having simular problems trying to run programs that use curses.h

Has any solution been found yet?

Thanks for any help.

--danny                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 6. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
    936167 Newbie
    Hi,
    I came across your problem on the Oracle Discussions Forum from back on June of 2009.

I am working with a pro*c program, in Banner 8. I getting the same message from a core dump,, that you got. I was hoping
    you might have written down what you did to resolve it.

My pro*c program is key to running all the SQR code we have. So it's very important. The version of sqr that gets
    linked into it is 32-bit and our environment is 64-bit. Our contract with Oracle for SQR has lapsed (it's a long
    and expensive story and this is probably not the place). My whole migration to Oracle 11 is being held up by this.

I realize it's been a while since you worked on it but if you could tell me how you resolved your problem, I might be
    able to do the same.

Thanks,
    Tom Mayne
    North Shore Community College
    Danvers MA
    tmayne@northshore.edu
    cell 978 423 6867

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points