6 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2012 11:00 AM by user12053664 RSS

pro*c program causing core dump in 11g

wvuguy
      hello every one,
      I am trying to debug a pro*c program which is resulting in a core dump. It used to work fine in with Oracle 10g precompiler but is causing a core dump with 11g. When I run dbx here is what I get.

dbx wreg309
      Type 'help' for help.
      [using memory image in core]
      reading symbolic information ...
      Segmentation fault in u_fsetcodepage_3_8 at 0x9000000014f4f70 ($t1)
      0x9000000014f4f70 (u_fsetcodepage_3_8+0x68) f87f0010 std r3,0x10(r31)

Any ideas what this means ? Thanks.
        • 1. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
          Mark Williams-Oracle
          Hi,

Doing some searching suggests that you might be using the "International Components for Unicode" (http://site.icu-project.org/home) either directly or indirectly with an IBM product.

The particular function where the segmentation fault is occurring looks to be setting the codepage:

http://icu-project.org/apiref/icu4c/ustdio_8h.html#7381b833b6835034008985da1fb9acc2

A couple of search hits indicate that a #define fsetcodepage u_fsetcodepage_3_8 might be in a header file used on your system.

Regards,

Mark
          • 2. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
            wvuguy
            Thanks! You are dead on. We are using Banner 8 libraries which uses UFT 8 character set and does use ustdio.h. Now I am trying to figure out how to fix this.

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
              Mark Williams-Oracle
              Now I am trying to figure out how to fix this.

Hmm, well that will be the fun part. :) If Pro*C was upgraded, the Oracle Client must have been too, perhaps other things as well... Does the segmentation fault always reproduce? Do compiler settings (i.e. optimization) have any impact?

- Mark
              • 4. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
                wvuguy
                Segmentation fault happens as soon as program is run and happens every time. One thing is I have noticed is that it only happens in programs using curses.h. I am wondering if curses is not compatible with ustdio.
                • 5. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
                  We are having simular problems trying to run programs that use curses.h

Has any solution been found yet?

Thanks for any help.

--danny                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                  • 6. Re: pro*c program causing core dump in 11g
                    user12053664
                    Hi,
                    I came across your problem on the Oracle Discussions Forum from back on June of 2009.

I am working with a pro*c program, in Banner 8. I getting the same message from a core dump,, that you got. I was hoping
                    you might have written down what you did to resolve it.

My pro*c program is key to running all the SQR code we have. So it's very important. The version of sqr that gets
                    linked into it is 32-bit and our environment is 64-bit. Our contract with Oracle for SQR has lapsed (it's a long
                    and expensive story and this is probably not the place). My whole migration to Oracle 11 is being held up by this.

I realize it's been a while since you worked on it but if you could tell me how you resolved your problem, I might be
                    able to do the same.

Thanks,
                    Tom Mayne
                    North Shore Community College
                    Danvers MA
                    tmayne@northshore.edu
                    cell 978 423 6867