This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2009 1:27 PM by ritt RSS

Simple Two Server Reverse Proxy and Portal Config?

ritt Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi, I would like to create a very simple two box configuration to access Oracle Portal from the internet.

Web Cache would run as a reverse proxy for login.mycompany.com and portal.mycompany.com with two IP addresses in the DMZ.

The second server would run the Portal Mid tier, the Infrastructure tier and the oracle database.

Is this configuration possible? The enterprise deployment guide uses 6 servers to do this. Can this be done with 2?
  • 1. Re: Simple Two Server Reverse Proxy and Portal Config?
    Shail Goel Pro
    Yes you can do that, in fact you can do all that on one single machine (if it has enough resources). The topology in EDG is for reference purpose only.

Thanks
    Shail
  • 2. Re: Simple Two Server Reverse Proxy and Portal Config?
    ritt Newbie
    in the Enterprise Deployment Guide in section 9.2.3.4 Updating the httpd.conf file:

NameVirtualHost idmhost1.mycompany.com:7777
    <VirtualHost idmhost1.mycompany.com:7777>
    ServerName login.mycompany.com
    Port 443
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteOptions inherit
    SimulateHttps On
    </VirtualHost>

In Section 9.2.6.1 ensuring Validity of Self-Referential URLs Rendered on OracleAS Portal Pages is updates the portal's http fil

<VirtualHost apphost1.mycompany.com:7778>
    ServerName apphost1.mycompany.com
    Port 7777
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteOptions inherit
    </VirtualHost>

I don't understand how all the ports map to different services when the infrastructure and portal tier are installed on the same server. But is the port 7777 in confllict? Is the Guide in section 9.2.6.1 using Port 7777 to connect to the web cache listening port?
  • 3. Re: Simple Two Server Reverse Proxy and Portal Config?
    ritt Newbie
    The hard part was figuring out what things in the EDG guide to change because all items were on 1 box but I finally got the Web Cache reverser proxy to work with two servers. 1 server was web cache stand alone and the other server was oracle application server infrastructure and portal

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points