1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 119 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 7:29 PM by 793366 Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
        Hi,

Good to know that somebody from Oracle is really following this thread.

It is early times and a timely followup will keep the interest going on.

Some of my workarrounds for issues mentioned.

1. The installation zip problem solution is to select the same folder when you extract both zip files

2. for the issues wherein the opmn is not starting, I copied the msvcr71.dll from another machine (having the oracle database 10g installation folder) after the copying process for fusion 11g was over.

3. Another issue was that ohs was not starting throwing error saying it cannot find mod_wl_ohs.so I copied the mod_wl_22.so from the wlserver_10.3\server\plugin folder into the as_1\ohs\modules folder and renamed it to mod_wl_ohs.so and then restarted the opmn

Hope this helps

Regards
        Regee
        • 46. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
          All,
          I downloaded, unzipped and installed Forms and Reports yesterday on a "brand new" (I reinstalled the OS before I did anything else just as a test. No need to do that in real life) XP Professional machine with 3.0 GHz single CPU and 3.75 GB of RAM and had only one hitch, I had to retry the last step of restarting the WLS_forms server.
          -----
          Some pointers:
          -- Download and install Weblogic Server first. http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/middleware/index.html
          -- Find the Forms&Reports (and Disco and Portal) zip files here: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/middleware/htdocs/111110_fmw.html Donwload them to the desktop (or some other temporary directory of your choosing).
          -- Unzip both of the two zip files into the same new directory (maybe called 'stage') and check that you have 4 directories in the 'stage dir when you are finished unzipping: 'Disk1', 'Disk2', 'Disk3' and 'Disk4'. These folders are specified in the zip file structure and must be preserved for the setup executable to work.
          If you use WinZip and have a right click menu option that say *"Extract to here", use that* by right click-dragging the zip file onto the newly created directory. Don't use the "Extract to folder %HOME%\Desktop\ofm_pfrd...disk_1of2" option. That will get you into the trouble that was reported early in this thread.
          -- Free up as much memory as you can. Stop services and background processes and virus scanners and databases (you don't need a DB to install Forms) and other things lurking about on your machine. You can restart them when the install is done.
          -- Start the install with setup.exe from the Disk1 dir
          -- Choose the Install and Configure option unless you have a good reason not to.
          -- Choose a unique instance name even if you deinstalled and removed the last install. I suggest using 'asinst_20090722_1' (today's date in ISO format with a running incremented number at the end if you install more than two times on a particular day).
          -- Unselect Portal and Discoverer and select the Builders you want.
          -- Unselect WebCache
          -- Unselect OHS
          --Make sure OHS is still selected (its in the same node as WebCache and under some circumstances it gets unselected. I am not sure what they are, quite yet)--
          (Updated on the 23rd of July 2009. OHS is not certified on Windows XP or Vista and is not necessary on a development machine. Use port 9001 which is the default or the port you have specified.)
          -- Unselect the single sign-on option
          -- Go get the caffein delivery mechanism of your choice ready for delivery and enjoy the results.
          -- Check for any failures and choose the retry option if any occur. If not call Oracle Customer Support .

Good luck

Kind regards
          --Jan Carlin
          Principal Product Manager, Oracle Forms

This is also posted on [my blog|http://groundside.com/blog/JanCarlin.php?title=installing_forms_and_reports_on_a_develo]

Edited by: Jan Carlin on Jul 22, 2009 12:48 PM

Edited by: Jan Carlin on Jul 23, 2009 2:31 PM
          • 47. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
            Jan,

I have not selected OHS and that seems to work initially. Forms can be called on the Weblogic port 9001. The URL from Forms Builder also gets this port number, and a form can be run from the builder this way. However, until now I only get this working directly after installation. As soon as I restart the WLS_FORMS server Forms does not work anymore: The applet hangs and I get a FRM-93550 message after 5 minutes. It seems that Forms runtime and Forms applet do not see each other anymore. When I close the applet the runtime does not die.
            I have tried the installation again with OHS also selected, but the behaviour is the same.

The strange thing is that the installer restarts the WLS_FORMS as the last step, and that does not affect the functioning. But if you do the restart using the scripts in the Windows startmenu then Forms gets the above problem, so I think something is missing in these scripts (some environment variable?).
            • 48. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
              Peter,
              I don't see the problem of restarting from the Start menu on my machine. I suggest you call Oracle Customer Support and ask for an analysis of the problem.
              • 49. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                Jan,

I found the problem. A DevSuite 10g installation present on the machine causes the problem.
                The solution is to remove any references to the DevSuite directories from the PATH.
                In order to be able to work with both DevSuite 10g (or AS 10g Forms&Reports) and Forms 11g (which is a very likely scenario for many people who will be starting with 11g the coming years) it is easiest to keep the Windows PATH pointing to DevSuite 10g, and setting the PATH variable correct for 11g in the setDomainEnv.cmd script of the ClassicDomain.
                • 50. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                  I have experimented to get Forms 11g working better for a development environment, and have succeeded in reducing footprint and optimizing the set of installed components. The only remaining issue, which only Oracle can solve, is to reduce the amount of installed software (suggestion: make separate distribution/install type for Discoverer and Portal) and the required memory during installation.
                  Here are the steps for Windows (almost all developers work on Windows, see Grant Ronald's survey):

- First install WebLogic 10.3.1 (11g). Software only, do not create any domains from the quick start dialog.
                  - Unzip the 2 downloaded files of the Forms,Reports,Portal & Discoverer 11g distribution into the same location is described in this thread
                  - Start the installer and do a software only install.
                  I suggest to install in directory \oracle\MiddleWare\asfrs (this name indicates it contains App Server with Form & Reports Services)
                  - Next run from the Oracle Classic 11g - Home1 startmenu the "Configure Classic Instance" configuration script
                  - Specify a unique instance name. Jan Carlin suggest to include a date and sequencenumber to make the name unique
                  - I suggest to choose as directory for the instance the following: oracle\MiddleWare\instances\asfrs_1
                  Note the extra subdirectory instances. This way you do not confuse instance homes with software homes,
                  and you get a structure that resembles that of weblogic (with its domains under user_projects).
                  - Choose the following components to install:
                  Forms Builder, Reports Builder (this automatically selects the corresponding servers), and Enterprise Manager
                  Do not select WebCache and HTTP Server (OHS), you do not need them in a development environment,
                  Forms Builder will configured automatically to run a Form directly on the port of the WLS_FORMS weblogic server
                  - When configuration starts you sometimes get a failed step. In the install log you find a message that opmn reload failed.
                  I found that you often can continue after doing an opmnctl reload from the commandline, which works. The step did not fail after all.
                  - Hopefully you can finish all configuration steps and now you have a working installation with 3 WebLogic servers:
                  AdminServer, WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS

The servers consume far too much memory, so we are going to reduce this with the following steps:

- Stop the servers
                  - Edit script oracle\MiddleWare\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\bin\setDomainEnv.cmd
                  - Add in the top of the script:

set JAVA_VENDOR=Sun

This changes the JVM from JRockit to SUN JVM. JRockit is perfect for production environments, but no good for development

- Find the following lines in the script:

set XMS_SUN_32BIT=256
                  set XMX_SUN_32BIT=512

change the values to 128 and 256 resp. This reduces the memory footprint of the AdminServer

- Find the following in the script:

if "%SERVER_NAME%"=="WLS_FORMS" (
                       set EXTRA_JAVA_PROPERTIES=-Xms256m -Xmx512m ....

Change it to:

if "%SERVER_NAME%"=="WLS_FORMS" (
                       set EXTRA_JAVA_PROPERTIES=-Xms64m -Xmx128m ....

And the same for WLS_REPORTS. This reduces the memory footprint to acceptable values

- Finally, if you have other Oracle installations on your machine (especially Developer suite 10g or AS Forms Service 10g),
                  then add in the top of the script a line to set the PATH variable:
                  Copy the value from the Windows PATH and remove any references to directories in other Oracle Homes.

You can now first start the Admin Server using the startWebLogic.cmd script or start and use WL Admin Console or EM console to start the WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS servers (although from EM sometimes these fail to start due to an error in rotating the logfiles, but from WL admin Console this problem does not occur).
                  Alternatively you just start the WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS servers with the startManagedWeblogic.cmd scripts without starting the AdminServer, to save more resources (but EM will then not be available) .

Hope this helps you to get the development environment for Forms 11g manageable!

Edited by: pdevaal on Jul 27, 2009 11:29 AM (removed the -wlx option which causes outofmemory errors)
                  • 51. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                    pdevaal, I have done as your steps, but can not reduce memory using.
                    • 52. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                      Well, the memory usage of WLS_FORMS drops from 650MB to 180MB this way, that is a large reduction I think!

On the other hand it seems I reduced it a bit too much, I now get OutOfMemory errors in the console, but these do not seem to affect the functioning of Forms, and are probably caused by the Forms MBeans (Management beans), which maybe do not like the 'wlx' option.
                      I will try to tune a bit more to get the optimum settings.

Now 180MB is still far too much in my opinion, compared to the 25MB required for the stand-alone OC4J in DevSuite 10g. I think that WebLogic is not really a good solution for Development environments, and probably it is better to deploy the Forms and Reports 11g ear-files on good-old OC4J in development. I am going to try that and will keep you informed through this thread.
                      • 54. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                        JeanYves Bernier
                        pdevaal wrote:
                        Well, the memory usage of WLS_FORMS drops from 650MB to 180MB this way, that is a large reduction I think!

On the other hand it seems I reduced it a bit too much, I now get OutOfMemory errors in the console, but these do not seem to affect the functioning of Forms, and are probably caused by the Forms MBeans (Management beans), which maybe do not like the 'wlx' option.
                        I will try to tune a bit more to get the optimum settings.

Now 180MB is still far too much in my opinion, compared to the 25MB required for the stand-alone OC4J in DevSuite 10g. I think that WebLogic is not really a good solution for Development environments, and probably it is better to deploy the Forms and Reports 11g ear-files on good-old OC4J in development. I am going to try that and will keep you informed through this thread.
                        Hi peter !
                        I have made a successful install on a 2GB xp Sp3, with Jan Carlin blog entry and recommendations (no web cache and no OHS).
                        and of course no portal, sso installation.
                        works fine for me with about an hour for complete installation.
                        Then I use your recommendations for reducing the memory footprint.
                        Again it works for me.

Let say I'm a little bit confused with this version.
                        It seems to be a mixed full AS installation for a developer.
                        As you says "good-old OC4J in development" will not be bad. something like a WLS standalone would be more acceptable for development.

Having 2 or 3 or 4GB development PC will be hard for me to have in some projects.

Again it is a new version with pros and cons... I have to learn again..
                        Was it too early to make this version in production or not?
                        We are always waiting for.. and when it happens we are always unsatisfied..

I will keep on testing the 11g and keep you informed.

ps: FormStart rocks !!!

Regards
                        Jean-Yves
                        • 55. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                          wcummins
                          You are very lucky.

I have been trying for over three weeks to install the simplest forms/reports builder configuration.

I have tried

Windows 2008 64 bit - Although there is a Win64 install directory Oracle Support told me that FM will not install on 64 bit Windows
                          Windows 2003 32 bit - Success with the Forms server portion (I think)
                          Windows 2003 32 bit - Unable to install forms/reports builder fails at creating ASInstance
                          Windows XP 32 bit - Unable to install forms/reports builder fails at creating ASInstance. At times I have waited two hour before the install screen would appear! This is the install I have trying over and over. Still working with Oracle support.

I appreciate that this is a new product but if we have to jump through hoops(More RAM, special setup, cannot install everything etc..) and make unsafe changes to our environment such as turning off virus scanners it will make a hard sell to upgrade our forms. We would like to move to a Windows 2008 64 bit/Windows XP/Vista environment but this software tool is not in an acceptable state.
                          • 56. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                            Hi!
                            On Windows XP, try to install the MS loopback adapter first, regardless if there is already a network adapter in your system.
                            My first installation on XP fails too with the same error (ASInstance could not be created).
                            After the installation of the loopback adapter it works. Don't ask me why ...

h5. And: i'm support you entirely in your opinion.

I completely don't now, if there is any sense to spend time in installing this new forms 11g for professional use.

What are the advantages?
                            The forms developer is the same as in 9.04.
                            Ok. One more node in the object navigator for AQ access.
                            Javascript support for the browser window the applet runs in.
                            In multirecord blocks, the use of the mouse scrollwheel is possible for scrolling (may this was already a Forms 10g 10.1 feature).
                            That's it. Or do somebody found something else?

-----

If you need a professional solution to run forms on a server, you first have to learn to setup the BEA Weblogic server.
                            I want to develop my forms application. Daily i have to make changes due to customer requests. I have no time for experiments.

If i think about to install this version of forms at my almost 400 customers...
                            One and half hour looking at the progress-bar and thinking: +"will it work? will it not work?"+ ... no thanks!
                            Could somebody imagine to install this software 4 or 5 times a day? every day?

I bought just for forms 11g a new, very fast Intel Server to see how the forms-installation-performance will be. Result: poor.
                            I spent one week for testing, installing, configuring the new forms version on different pcs, servers and operating systems.
                            For me it is not useful.
                            A look to the Weblogic Server Console messages gives me the creeps.

Me and my customer don't need an entirly overstuffed Middletier server to run a simple forms applcation.
                            An installation of just forms/reports runtime consists of almost *87.000 files in 7.450 folders*.
                            The discoverer folder contains 33.600 files. Altough i did not installed the discoverer ...

For me it looks like one day before the Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g was released, all developers of the
                            forms team put the contents of there local harddisks in one directory and zip the result to one installation-file.

And it looks like because of the big investment for the BEA Systems acquisition,
                            forms must run by force on this BEA Weblogic Server.

I'm very surprised about that little response about that forms version here in the forms forum.

I know, with this reply i will not make any friends here, but as a forms developer who have to earn his monthly
                            money with this stuff, i got a little afraid.

Regards
                            • 57. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                              JeanYves Bernier
                              wcummins wrote:
                              You are very lucky.

I have been trying for over three weeks to install the simplest forms/reports builder configuration.

I have tried

Windows 2008 64 bit - Although there is a Win64 install directory Oracle Support told me that FM will not install on 64 bit Windows
                              Windows 2003 32 bit - Success with the Forms server portion (I think)
                              Windows 2003 32 bit - Unable to install forms/reports builder fails at creating ASInstance
                              Windows XP 32 bit - Unable to install forms/reports builder fails at creating ASInstance. At times I have waited two hour before the install screen would appear! This is the install I have trying over and over. Still working with Oracle support.

I appreciate that this is a new product but if we have to jump through hoops(More RAM, special setup, cannot install everything etc..) and make unsafe changes to our environment such as turning off virus scanners it will make a hard sell to upgrade our forms. We would like to move to a Windows 2008 64 bit/Windows XP/Vista environment but this software tool is not in an acceptable state.
                              Hello,
                              Maybe I'm lucky, but I just want to clarify my installation.
                              It is made on a VirtualBox - Xp sp3 fresh installation set to run with 2.5GB of RAM. this is an home editon
                              No special software installed on it. the path environment "clear".
                              An Avast home edition as antivirus. and so one...

Security was not of course a big problem as I run on a virtual machine...

Being very careful with the directory names (no spaces, no underscores, no special characters etc..)

Perhaps being lucky in the choice of the weblogic installation.
                              I don't know but I choose "Oracle WebLogic Server 11gR1 (10.3.1) - Package Installer (x86: 570 MB)" not the ones with "OEPE" or "net installer".

No portal or SSO stuff....

Run the installer then waiting and waiting .... but it works.
                              It worked yes, but I don't say that is acceptable for now and production..
                              It reminds me a little bit the 9.0.2 version when it came out.
                              Making tests and tests for months and then at least putting the 9.0.4 version in production.

What to do now? Having servers as developer machines ? With an entire stack of Weblogic Server instead of a little single oc4j instance?
                              I don't think so. but Weblogic seems to be the choice of Oracle then what ?
                              Should we be waiting for patches or 11gR2 or R3 before we learn this version?
                              Again I don't think so.
                              I am absolutely not experienced with weblogic but I will not wait to learn how it works and I did the same some years ago with OC4J.

At least regarding my tests and my knowledge of forms this is not the version to deploy now in production but a "learning version to keep in mind" for next deployments.

Regards.
                              Jean-Yves
                              • 58. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                                Tony Garabedian
                                Jean,

I think you're one of the lucky ones with successful installations.
                                I've been trying the whole week and no success.

I'm using a virtual machine, with Win2K3 EE R2 SP2 with 2.5 GB RAM and plenty of spaces and it fails every single time. Last failure was in AS creation and for some unknown reason, the "Retry" button was still disabled.

I think using 3 GB RAM for installation is absurd, minimum installation still requires over 1.5 GB of memory, I understand the huge space requirement but not the huge RAM usage.
                                One of the annoying things also I noticed that the installer does not clean all the files when you Uninstall a product. it just leaves it there, reminded me of the Forms 6i installer....

I will keep trying.... and thx god for snapshots on VMware.

Tony
                                • 59. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                                  Hello,
                                  I ran into problem with this installation as i want to test some of my forms with forms version 11g i did the steps you mentioned to my surprise the installation went fine and i can open test.fmb with oracle forms builder 11g but when i closed and re-opened the forms builder it crashed saying some .msb file is missing while it was present in the said path.

I've not un installed my previous forms version 10g from my laptop.

Now if the try to open 10g version of forms it does not open and forms builder crashes.

I think i got my climax and thrill is over.

Open Question :- Can i have both Oracle Forms Builder 10g & 11g installed on my latptop at same time ?

This should be possible but it crashes for me at least, in case if this is not possible it should be atleast so that one can go back to 10g if 11g does now go well for him.

br
                                  atul
                                  1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next